Lexus IS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 238 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Is this true on heat wrapped headers? it significantly decreases the life of a header...

My headers are wrapped from the previous owner and I've had it on my car for a while now....should I be concern? I haven't done anything to them since the install except spray DEI on them.
No , unless wrap / header see alot of mositure (water) and salt ....which decreases life of all exhausts parts .....
which is why your headers were not wrapped all the way down to include y pipe.....

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
No , unless wrap / header see alot of mositure (water) and salt ....which decreases life of all exhausts parts .....
which is why your headers were not wrapped all the way down to include y pipe.....
I knew I can count on you answering my question! Thanks Tom. :approve:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Does anyone have a sound clip of a megan header with the remainder of thr system stock? Also looking for a sound clip of megan header and y pipe with stock muffler

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Does anyone have a sound clip of a megan header with the remainder of thr system stock? Also looking for a sound clip of megan header and y pipe with stock muffler
Ive had that set up at one point in time and it was pretty quiet .....id use megan header and y pipe together less prone to leaks due to the diameter of piping differense.... stock cat back really keep noise level , rasp down with any header but sounds pretty good imo.

·
Banned
113 Posts
Would rewelding the stock b-pipe on a header/stock y-pipe/catback ( megan racing )( ws2 ) system keep that rasp sound down or would you recommend an after market y-pipe even with an after market catback help?

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
If thats what your looking for just get a aftermarket axle back and keep the stock b pipe ....you will gain nothing but noise from aftermarket b pipe....

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I've gone through quite a bit of threads and still curious on something.
So I have an 04 with obx headers and y-pipe. Of course it pops the O2 code, tokken doesn't sell the Sims anymore and working with my local Jap performance shop, the restrictor inserts and modding the sensors aren't even working.

So my question is, is there any performance headers with cats in them? If not I'm considering to reinstall the stock headers, with my obx y-pipe when I get the Megan racing cat-back installed. And I was wondering if there are any power gains or loss from doing a setup like this(stock header>obx y-pipe>Megan cat-back) or like this(stock header and y-pipe>Megan cat-back).

I only ask cuz I'm done trying to trick my ECU and I dont want to keep throwing money at it if it keeps reading a Cat deficiency. So like I said, looking for performance headers with cats or what's the pros/cons to the other setups??

Please and thank you

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
There is a Magnaflow performance header with cat that is 49 state legal. It may be a better than oem. A couple of forum vendor does sell this header.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
So I've gone through quite a bit of threads and still curious on something.
So I have an 04 with obx headers and y-pipe. Of course it pops the O2 code, tokken doesn't sell the Sims anymore and working with my local Jap performance shop, the restrictor inserts and modding the sensors aren't even working.

So my question is, is there any performance headers with cats in them? If not I'm considering to reinstall the stock headers, with my obx y-pipe when I get the Megan racing cat-back installed. And I was wondering if there are any power gains or loss from doing a setup like this(stock header>obx y-pipe>Megan cat-back) or like this(stock header and y-pipe>Megan cat-back).

I only ask cuz I'm done trying to trick my ECU and I dont want to keep throwing money at it if it keeps reading a Cat deficiency. So like I said, looking for performance headers with cats or what's the pros/cons to the other setups??

Please and thank you
Might want to check out this one when we are done testing.

http://my.is/forums/f184/is300-dezod-green-header-thread-update-pg-25-a-441135/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys, as I'm in the navy and currently stationed in San Deigo, Ca. I'm gonna try and get a deal out of the shop to see if I can get it dyno'd as it is and again with the different setups to see what works better.

As for the noise, I love the straight six roar. Just the headache of the O2 code is what is keeping me from wanting a full after-market exhaust over stock>Megan cat back

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys, as I'm in the navy and currently stationed in San Deigo, Ca. I'm gonna try and get a deal out of the shop to see if I can get it dyno'd as it is and again with the different setups to see what works better.

As for the noise, I love the straight six roar. Just the headache of the O2 code is what is keeping me from wanting a full after-market exhaust over stock>Megan cat back

tokensolutions PNP O2 delete, wham bam, headache gone.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
True story and they are currently in stock to...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Fast shipping too! Mine shipped Friday and received it Monday! I think my postal carrier thinks I have picked up other hobbies though from the box :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Guys, I wanted to ask has anyone taken the heatshield off that comes on the stock Y-pipe? (2 pieces that are bolted to each other and flaps that overlap along the side).
Thanks for any info!!

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
^^^
Shouldn't be a problem but since you have Megan headers , pipe diameter of Megan header to y pipe is larger then y pipe ...you may want to check that you cat condition in y pipe that its still in good condition (shake it and listen to crap rattling inside )

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why Am i not seeing to much input on the toyomoto headers? I have them with the Y pipe and I absolutely love them. Great sound and construction aside from the B2S2 location being so close to the firewall.

201 - 220 of 238 Posts
About this Discussion
237 Replies
74 Participants
scuba420
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing