Lexus IS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
after getting them installed and dyno'ed they gave gains of 11+whp on e-shift

dunno about MPG, but after 2 weeks of them it seems similar

how is the powerband compared to what others have stated in this thread? comparable?

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Why don't you believe us?!?!?^^^€

Mpg don't change do to 264 cams it's your right foot that decreases mpg.

·
Registered
687 Posts
yeah everything that needs to be said about cams have been repeated many times

my experiences are exactly the same as others that have posted on here

·
Registered
664 Posts

Its not that I dont believe you'll...trust me ive taken the tanagable feedback completly to heart.. thats why I intially bought them, it just sucks i had to sell them :/ just wanted another persons view since every driver is different :)

thanks lazyIS

·
Registered
135 Posts

Thats good to hear.
Am I correct that its an initial bolt-on part and be done with OR if you want to fine tune, some will go the route of adding a Greddy emanage to piggy back their ecu for optimum results??
Thanks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thats good to hear.
Am I correct that its an initial bolt-on part and be done with OR if you want to fine tune, some will go the route of adding a Greddy emanage to piggy back their ecu for optimum results??
Thanks!
For the most part, you're correct. Many have been able to simply install the cams, and call it good with a noticeable difference in the feel and power of the ride. I haven't seen an instance yet where you needed to re-shim, but it's good practice to verify this upon install. I can't speak for the greddy emanage, but I'll bet Bezik777 will chime in regarding engine management and tuning.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Guys valves are getting super loud! Almost like a tickling noise. I tighted them to oem specs. Why nobody adjust the valves to what crower says?

·
Registered
67 Posts
sorry for asking a question that may have an obvious answer but when reshimming to the tight side of oem spec, does that mean very close to the maximum shim thickness? As in slightly less than .010 for intake and slightly less than .014 for exhaust?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Unless I'm horribly mistaken, which happens sometimes, you want the clearances set to tight side as in smaller spaces between the shim and the lobe. I suppose that would mean the actual shims would be "thicker" too.

You do seem a bit confused so to clarify. The 0.010 or 0.014 are clearance values, not shims. The shims are metal pieces with varying thicknesses, something similar in shape and size to a quarter coin. Every valve has a shim. WHen you install the new cams (or check clearances) you measure the clearance and if it is too loose or too tight you swap in a thicker or thinner shim respectively.

When I did my cams recently I tried to get my intake and exhaust side clearances closest to but not less than the recommended tight side of spec. Intake spec is between .006-.010 inches and exhaust is between .010-.014 inches. For me, all intake clearances were between.006-.007 and exhaust was 0.010-0.011 when I was finished. I did have to move 6 shims around the head but I guess I got lucky and didn't have to buy any new ones. So far so good!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the info man. I hope I still have good low end once I get these things in

·
Registered
538 Posts
You won't be disappointed. I don't think you will actually lose any power but the bottom end won't "feel" as strong as the rest of the power band because the real gains come at higher RPM. To me it felt like they improved the entire powerband, especially the mid and top end. With the cam gear the car acts a bit like an excited puppy when you go from a complete stop. All excited and not sure what to do with itself and then it just bursts.

·
Registered
889 Posts
after getting them installed and dyno'ed they gave gains of 11+whp on e-shift
Is that with a tune of some sort? Or just on stock ECU?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Stock ECU
2002 e-shift 230 000km
Very nice. Based on that, if I tune for it, easily 15+ whp. That will be a very nice feeling. I think I'll be installing these come summer time :grin:

·
Registered
889 Posts
if you had other supporting mods, the tune would give you even more
I've seen people get 10+ whp on just a tune, so a tune and cams should make for a very nice feeling car. Not fast, but more alive.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've seen people get 10+ whp on just a tune, so a tune and cams should make for a very nice feeling car. Not fast, but more alive.
I agree 100%. hence i'm waiting for headers before I get a tune too.

most people also get the cam gear, IMO it didn't do much, and if you are on automatic, you will get a CEL once in a while due to rough idle. its not an issue as it goes away after a few hundred miles, just a nuisance. after all that, the car is not fast, but does make it come alive, and as a DD it's great.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I agree 100%. hence i'm waiting for headers before I get a tune too.

most people also get the cam gear, IMO it didn't do much, and if you are on automatic, you will get a CEL once in a while due to rough idle. its not an issue as it goes away after a few hundred miles, just a nuisance. after all that, the car is not fast, but does make it come alive, and as a DD it's great.
I will do cam gear as well, not for huge power gains by itself, but all the little things add up after awhile. Plus, I plan on doing some suspension/braking adds, so while it won't be fast it'll be a lot more fun to drive. :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Guys valves are getting super loud! Almost like a tickling noise. I tighted them to oem specs. Why nobody adjust the valves to what crower says?
Problem fixed, by reshimming them again. There were 2 shims that were a little loose on the intake side and we did not notice the first time (weird, maybe they move once they set in). I set clearance to the really tight side of oem specs and now at least the tickling noise is gone, but engine stills sounds like a train, a normal train though (compared to a customer's stock is300 it sounds the same).

A big plus to adjusting valves is that this time we used the toyota valve adjustment tool and an air compressor to literaly blow the shims away. The magnet stick does not work because it is too weak.

Thank you for the help guys

61 - 80 of 89 Posts
About this Discussion
88 Replies
36 Participants
Tech3Performance
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing