·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
^^ never heard of this issue and I've install a lot of 264 cams

·
Registered
79 Posts
Manual, doing fidanza lightweight flywheel and exedy clutch after christmas, then picking up an auto rear differential and swapping parts with mine for better gears. I already have suspension (coilovers),I also upgraded rotors and pads. I don't think I want an exhaust, I believe the stock exhaust is fine (backpressure). I guess I got nothing left to do (dang it)...turbo is not an option, this is my daily. I already have a turbo car (Miata).

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
^^ never heard of this issue and I've install a lot of 264 cams
I found a thread here were there was talk about it that's the only reason I tried it. Also could be that my car hates copper plugs I forgot it idled like poo last year when I had a set in there. I'll try it back on 0 next time I change plugs

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I was going to say sounds like plugs or plug wires or timing issue....keep me updated

Btw just coil overs is not Suspension ... Bracing , sways , bushing , upgrading parts thru out ....
Light weight wheels more traction ( better tires) ....

You have full stock exhaust other then headers?
Look at: 80mm TB , LW pulleys

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
There new coppers on my new motor couldn't find ik22s local and wanted to get it goin last week. But I'll update whenever I change them out

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes i got full stock exhaust other than headers.

I already have wheels and good street Nitto tires.

True, coilovers are not everything in a suspension. I did change some of the bushings though (control arms bushings , ball joints), but the suggestion of sway bars definitely sound good to me.

I am still doing some research on the 80mm tb (welding, check engine light, who can do the labor for me here in Florida and other things to consider/understand before i do it). Any good input or where to read about a complete 80mm tb install would help.
And last pulleys also sound good to me (except for the crank pulley, did some research and heard bad things about crank pulley unless is the fluidampr which is as heavy as the oem).

Thanks for the suggestion guys!
Appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Franco,
Id like to keep thread on topic but sways and rigid bars would be great adds, there's a couple 80mm TB threads on my.is ( there's no check engine light with this mod) and pulleys are nice add to help throttle response ( URs are nice) yes don't run crank under drive pulley...
* I've done all these mods*

Right now I have Intake and headers w/ y-pipe and SAFC-II when I get the cams will I have to retune the SAFC?
Yes...retune to take full advantage of cams

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ordered my timing belt kit today and said WHAT THE HELL i might as well do some cams! cant wait to get my 264's!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, I am going to be getting the BC stage 2 cams and cam gear done also. I however have stock headers and exhaust which I do not want to change. Anyone know if there are any cons to this set up? I really do to not want to increase the noise level of the exhaust...I am not a fan of noisy exhaust on non muscle cars.

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hey guys, I am going to be getting the BC stage 2 cams and cam gear done also. I however have stock headers and exhaust which I do not want to change. Anyone know if there are any cons to this set up? I really do to not want to increase the noise level of the exhaust...I am not a fan of noisy exhaust on non muscle cars.
Nope no cons, cams will still make a difference ... Exhaust is just a few extra HP if anything you will retain more lower Torq ..

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm in the process of building my extra head with all BC parts. As far as cams, ive been looking at the 264's. While researching, i keep reading that stock cams are better for FI cars than going higher duration. any thoughts??

setup is: gte block,gte HG(although want to change back to ge HG) stock head for now/80mm throttle body/water meth/
garrett gtx3076r/93 pump gas/greddy eman ult

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
You've been misinformed ... 264s love boost and out perform stock any day...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks Bezik, I found some good info on the 80mm tb without throwing a check engine light (check engine light was due to something else leak i believe).
So back to the topic.... a different engine noise after installing the cams is normal right? It's hard to describe the new noise,let's say is a little louder on the exhaust side, but just to make sure when re-shimming the valve clearance it had to be adjusted to the tight side of the OEM specs right? That will be intake 0.006" and exhaust 0.010"

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice thread good info for us Vvti/NA-T guys.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Seems the cams give more torque and pop and overall more fun to drive factor for our cars...but I read that mpg gets cut to about 14-15 mpg? Is that true? Id like more input from folks who already have this setup..thanks!

·
Registered
687 Posts
after getting them installed and dyno'ed they gave gains of 11+whp on e-shift

dunno about MPG, but after 2 weeks of them it seems similar

41 - 60 of 89 Posts
About this Discussion
88 Replies
36 Participants
Tech3Performance
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing