Lexus IS Forum banner

5001 - 5020 of 5046 Posts

·
Apricot idea killer
18,211 Posts
With a 22" PCB dish, I can get f/22 from about 4 feet from subject.

And if I could do it all over again, I would get a Mola. Good choice. Do it. It may even let your throw more light and get a higher f/stop in sunlight from a farther distance.

And yeah, it's expensive as fuck. :)
Yeah, my primary impetus for the Elinchrom is for shooting outdoor stuff and having any lighting well away from any model in order to capture more of the scene.

It's going to be SOOOO damn hard to buy that Mola. Almost 600 bucks for bowl. I know that Hensel made something almost identical, but I haven't come across any DIY Molas. There HAS to be a cheaper alternative....

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Yeah, my primary impetus for the Elinchrom is for shooting outdoor stuff and having any lighting well away from any model in order to capture more of the scene.

It's going to be SOOOO damn hard to buy that Mola. Almost 600 bucks for bowl. I know that Hensel made something almost identical, but I haven't come across any DIY Molas. There HAS to be a cheaper alternative....
Kacey Enterprises

·
Apricot idea killer
18,211 Posts
THAT'S what I meant. Where the hell did I get Hensel from?

It's that damn Hensel [sic], it's so hot right now....

I had looked into Kacey, but they had always seemed back ordered and from LENGTHY discussions on some of the boards b/t the owners of Kacey and Mola, it seemed like the law suit might render Kacey kaput, so I never followed through with it.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
THAT'S what I meant. Where the hell did I get Hensel from?

It's that damn Hensel [sic], it's so hot right now....

I had looked into Kacey, but they had always seemed back ordered and from LENGTHY discussions on some of the boards b/t the owners of Kacey and Mola, it seemed like the law suit might render Kacey kaput, so I never followed through with it.
I hope they don't go under. Because if I ever get a Mola dish for my Einsteins I'll need one of Kacey's brackets to mount it...

·
Apricot idea killer
18,211 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen...

·
Registered
2,414 Posts

·
Apricot idea killer
18,211 Posts
Been enjoying the MP-E 65mm and get hard whenever I'm able to use the Elinchrom.....

·
Apricot idea killer
18,211 Posts
Thanks, Trov!

Where the hell is everyone? I see an update from you guys on flickr maybe once every two months these days.... :/

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
havent touched my 5dII in months.

·
Apricot idea killer
18,211 Posts
^^^Impressive shot! What did you use for lighting?

You got the D800 and then disappeard - figured this thread would have been flooded with your work by now....

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
^^^Impressive shot! What did you use for lighting?

You got the D800 and then disappeard - figured this thread would have been flooded with your work by now....
Ugh, I know. Just been super busy at work. No time for photography, which sucks. I'm thinking of switching over to photography full time at some point. Who knows. No way I'd be making the same amount of money unless I land some huge gig like shooting ads for Nike or a movie or something. But fuck... my agency worked with a photographer a few months ago who shot an ad for a major magazine. Guy's bid (which he won) was something like 80k for two days worth of work.

It's one of those major decisions that will either work out or wind up ruining my life. To make a living — and I don't mean just paying the bills — at photography, you need be a baller businessman and networker. It's like 20% actual photography and 80% who you know. That guy who I just mentioned is super well known for the look he gets and. Ya gotta sorta have a "thing" that sets you apart from others. Because there are MILLIONS of awesome photographers out there. Gotta differentiate somehow and then know the right hookups until you can make a name for yourself.

But anyway, I shot that with three Einsteins. One in an octabox, on-axis and high, angled down at the guitars/amp. That's the key light. Then one Einstein to either side with 40 degree grids. White reflector on the floor below the guitars. That's it. :)

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Hey all! I'm so sorry to have been away from this thread for so long. We're completely moved in to our Tampa house and I'm close to being on my way toward reestablishing my Stephan Photography (Stephan Photography | Kurt Stephan - Lithia, FL) business.

In the new house, I've got a 300sq ft bonus room that I'm using as a home studio. It's got french doors that open to the lanai/pool area and two large windows for lots of natural light. The french doors are wonderful because they allow me to get more standoff distance by backing up to the outside if shooting with lets say my 70-200 2.8. It's carpeted now, but I've already selected the hardwoods to install and will be getting them in this Christmas.

I almost had them installed this month, but I opted for a new 15" Macbook Pro Retina with 512GB SSD instead. It will replace my 24" iMac and 2007 MB Pro (once I get all info transferred and old computers wiped and sold). The intent is to get a large cinema display and a docking station for my MBPR in the future. It will be so nice to only have one system so I don't have to transfer photos like I used to before when using the old MBP when out and about.

So how's everyone else's lives going? It's been slim pickins here lately so I assume that everyone is super busy.

~Kurt

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Congrats on the move!

I've been busy busy busy with work. But I've been hired to shoot stuff internally at work. When the budget for client projects is low and they need a photographer, they get me to do it. Nothing huge. But I've shot some stuff for Pennzoil and Shell. And I have a shoot of a Minute Maid bottle for a Dunkin' Donuts ad next week. I don't really like product photography. But at least it's a few extra bucks on the side every now and again. :) I'd rather be shooting people, not bottles.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Congrats on the move!

I've been busy busy busy with work. But I've been hired to shoot stuff internally at work. When the budget for client projects is low and they need a photographer, they get me to do it. Nothing huge. But I've shot some stuff for Pennzoil and Shell. And I have a shoot of a Minute Maid bottle for a Dunkin' Donuts ad next week. I don't really like product photography. But at least it's a few extra bucks on the side every now and again. :) I'd rather be shooting people, not bottles.
Thanks! Good luck with the DD ad shoot! Bottles or not, you're racking up the resume for sure.

5001 - 5020 of 5046 Posts
About this Discussion
5K Replies
164 Participants
jupiterfish
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing