Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A separate insert to the Tarrytown, NY short-lead press preview kits includes the Official EPA Fuel Economy ratings for the 2006 Lexus IS models:

IS250 RWD Automatic
24 mpg City
32 mpg Highway
27 mpg Combined

IS250 RWD Manual
20 mpg City
29 mpg Highway
23 mpg Combined

IS250 AWD Automatic
22 mpg City
28 mpg Highway
25 mpg Combined

IS350 RWD Automatic
21 mpg City
28 mpg Highway
24 mpg Combined

This compares to the 2005 IS300 figures of:

Automatic
18 mpg City
24 mpg Highway
21 mpg Combined

Manual
18 mpg City
25 mpg Highway
21 mpg Combined

As is the case with the IS300, Premium Fuel of at least 91 Octane rating is recommended. Also note that the fuel tank capacity has decreased slightly, from 17.5 gallons in the IS300 to 17.1 gallons in the IS250/350.

For me, the biggest shocker is how close the fuel economy ratings are for the IS250 Manual vs the IS350, in spite of the VERY noticeable performance difference.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks jruhi4! These figures are identical to those included in cars.com's recent review which cars.com at the time said were only Lexus' own predictions using the same EPA procedures.

I wonder if those figures in preview kit are really official from EPA or if they are still simply Lexus' own "predictions".

In any case, the numbers are looking really good. The IS350's figures are slightly worse than the automatic 330i's 21/29 but still awesome considering the huge power advantage. The IS250's 24/32 rating should also be a good selling point for those who care less about power.

·
Registered
60 Posts
jruhi4 said:
A separate insert to the Tarrytown, NY short-lead press preview kits includes the Official EPA Fuel Economy ratings for the 2006 Lexus IS models:

IS250 RWD Automatic
24 mpg City
32 mpg Highway
27 mpg Combined

IS250 RWD Manual
20 mpg City
29 mpg Highway
23 mpg Combined

IS250 AWD Automatic
22 mpg City
28 mpg Highway
25 mpg Combined
These numbers can't be right...how can the manual on the 250 rwd lose 4mpg to the 250 rwd auto?????? impossible...

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
XeroK00L said:
I wonder if those figures in preview kit are really official from EPA or if they are still simply Lexus' own "predictions".
The chart with the numbers is titled 2006 IS EPA Fuel Economy. It was seemingly a last-minute addition to the Press Kit, since it was inserted in the front pocket of the binder and not "3-hole-drilled" like the other pages. Moreover, it seems that this page was not part of the Press Kits handed out in Irvine, CA.

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SABT said:
These numbers can't be right...how can the manual on the 250 rwd lose 4mpg to the 250 rwd auto?????? impossible...
A couple of years ago, I'd totally agree with you. The way automatic transmission technology has advanced, however, it's quite likely these numbers are correct.

·
Registered
409 Posts
SABT said:
According to the official specs, the gearing of the manual IS250 is tuned about 15% more aggressively than the automatic IS's, which directly results in a worse gas mileage rating.

If you do some calculations, the combined EPA mileage of the manual IS250 is precisely (27 - 23) / 27 x 100% = 14.81% =~ 15% worse than the automatic IS250.;)

I do, however, question Lexus's intention on this. So who will get the manual IS250 now? It's not for the performance-minded since it's lacking in power. It's not for the budget-conscious because of the bad gas mileage. Who is it for then, I don't get it. :investiga

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
jruhi4 said:
Moreover, it seems that this page was not part of the Press Kits handed out in Irvine, CA.
Yes that's correct. It was still in "testing" during that time.

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Almost 2 weeks after we were given these Official IS250/350 Fuel Economy numbers, Lexus has made them extra-official and issued a Press Release on the Toyota/Lexus Pressroom. The release itself is 5 paragraphs long. It doesn't really contain any new info, but I loved the third paragraph, which seems to have been written partly with the my.IS community in mind: "There's been tremendous anticipation for the debut of the new IS," said Lexus Group Vice President and General Manager Bob Carter. "Not only have ardent fans of the previous generation IS 300 been responding with great eagerness, but we've received an intense interest among owners of competitor sport sedans."

For the full press release:
http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id=20050912c

·
Registered
90 Posts
jruhi4 said:
Almost 2 weeks after being given these Official IS250/350 Fuel Economy numbers, Lexus has made them extra-official and issued a Press Release on the Toyota/Lexus Pressroom. The release itself is 5 paragraphs long. It doesn't really contain any new info, but I loved the third paragraph, which seems to have been written partly with the my.IS community in mind: "There's been tremendous anticipation for the debut of the new IS," said Lexus Group Vice President and General Manager Bob Carter. "Not only have ardent fans of the previous generation IS 300 been responding with great eagerness, but we've received an intense interest among owners of competitor sport sedans."

For the full press release:
http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id=20050912c

Maybe if we start negative topics about the New IS, they might lower the price tag! :bigSmile:

·
Registered
409 Posts
ska said:
Maybe if we start negative topics about the New IS, they might lower the price tag! :bigSmile:
LOL...hate to admit but what you say is probably true. Praise too much and they'll get overconfident with the perceived value of the car and price accordingly. Not a good strategy for us.

From now on, let the bashing begin!!:curses::uzi::plasma:

Just kidding of course. :innocent:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts