Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two months ago a friend of mine bought a Tiptronic Audi S4 and my other friend took delivery of a new BMW 330i (w/sports package and 5 speed manual)last month. I was wondering whether you guys knew which would be faster to 60mph. Sure a 6 speed manual S4 would beat a 330i to 60mph but what about the 5 speed Tiptronic S4?
Eric.....

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited September 01, 2000).]

·
Registered
250 Posts
S4 - absolutely, unquestionably, undeniably, possibly even in reverse. While I have only driven 6 speed S4s (I have driven the A6 with the auto and the 2.7), I have driven both auto and manual 330s - trust me - this is no contest.

Terry

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
S4 would win easily...even on a flat tire. The S4 is a 2.7 liter turbo...i heard its twin turbo but im not too sure about that. And the BMW 330 is pretty much the same as the IS300...maybe a little bit faster.

------------------
Spectra Blue IS300

·
Registered
511 Posts
There about 40hp difference but the S4 is a lot heavier. The advantage the S4 would have to 60mph is the awd launch plus it takes no skill in a tip.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The whole reason for this post is because www.audiusa.com says the Tiptronic S4 does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds (a very conservative figure) and I'm assuming that the 6.4 second claim for the Manual 330i BMW is conservative as well. However, all in all I think the S4 would have the edge but I don't know by how much.
Eric..

·
Registered
571 Posts
that would be a close race, but since the 330i is more prone to driver error (misshift, launching), it might be harder to match up to the tiptronic (all you do is press and press).

does this mean when a 5spd IS comes out, which will basically be about even with a 5sp BMW, we can roll with a auto s4?
Probably not, but hey, we've got a cooler car.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have driven my friend's Tiptronic S4 and can attest that each and everyone of those 250 horses can GALLOP. I haven't driven my other friend's 330i but doubt it has a chance with keeping up with a Tiptronic S4 in straight line acceleration runs...
Eric...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I told my friend that I was planning to purchase the IS and he told me I was better off getting the A4 or the A6 if I was going to spend that kind of money. I disagreed with him based purely on the fact that the transmission of the IS is better suited for me. I can drive manual but prefer auto and have only owned auto cars. This tranny allows me to safely dabble with driving manually. He says I'm crazy and should stick with the AWD A4 or A6.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think A4 is a pretty good car, but one thing you do have to realize is that the model changes to new design next year and that the reliability problem with the Audi is just terrible.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by Daniel:
I think A4 is a pretty good car, but one thing you do have to realize is that the model changes to new design next year and that the reliability problem with the Audi is just terrible.
although its a generalization, its probably safe to say that Audi's and BMW have poor reliability... even in the first couple of years... we have all heard the stories, but great and small...

otherwise, the A4 is a great car and the 1.8T is the best 4 in the world... chip it, tighten the suspension, bigger brakes and you've got a great all weather car...

don't waste your money on the 2.8 ...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Perhaps while we're on the subject you can answer me this... One of my friends got a Diablo and another friend got a 550 Maranello. My question is how much longer will it be before I have friends that could possibly make this a true statement? I think I need to ditch my broke friends and befriend doctors

·
Registered
541 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:
I have driven my friend's Tiptronic S4 and can attest that each and everyone of those 250 horses can GALLOP. I haven't driven my other friend's 330i but doubt it has a chance with keeping up with a Tiptronic S4 in straight line acceleration runs...
Eric...
The 225 horses in the 330i can gallop as well. And the 330i has a very nice fat and flat torque curve. As someone mentioned, the _official_ numbers for 0-60 are 6.5s for the S4 w/tip and 6.4s for the 330i w/stick. I think it'd be a decent horse race.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i can say that a 6 speed s4 stock does 5.5 0-60 and i have driven a tip s4 and its slower but still can do low 6's no car except the new m3 can take an s4

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is it just me, or does the A4 styling seem super dull? I looked at the A4 but just couldn't get excited about the styling. I did like the fold-down rear seat, though.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i like the a4 styling because its conservative and not really HEY LOOK AT ME! =) it really depends on waht you look for, different strokes for different folks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Stock to Stock, 330i and S4 Auto will be close match with S4 slightly ahead of 330i at starting line. However, once into triple digit, 330i can keep up with S4 in mid-range w/out much problem.

S4 is a Twin-Turbo, 2.7L V6(moded 2.8, from Audi A4 2.8). 0-60 time for S4 Auto is rated 6.4 by factory, however, it's conservative, and S4 Auto can pull times from 6 sec flat to 6.2.

As for 330i, I can't really say, but 328i sure is a snail compare to S4.

Andy Kuo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts