Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for posting a non-IS question, but I dont visit Bimmer.org anymore due to the silliness there. I dont know a ton about cars, but I have been pondering the 0-60 times of the next M3. Not that its anything to spit at, but, how is it that M3 can have 93 extra HP, but the 0-60 time is not dropped by at least a full second? I know weight is a factor, but its not THAT much heavier is it?

Im just thinking in terms of the Mustang, after 1999. Ford only added 35 horsepower, but it flies to 60 MPH over a second faster than the 1998 model (6.7 {R&T} vs. 5.4 {MT})

Just curious; acceleration doesnt make the car
 

·
Founder
Joined
·
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by ISsoon:
Sorry for posting a non-IS question, but I dont visit Bimmer.org anymore due to the silliness there. I dont know a ton about cars, but I have been pondering the 0-60 times of the next M3. Not that its anything to spit at, but, how is it that M3 can have 93 extra HP, but the 0-60 time is not dropped by at least a full second? I know weight is a factor, but its not THAT much heavier is it?
We've had lots of discussion regarding hp vs. torque around here and I think the simple answer is that an improvement in HP will yield more visible top speed numbers and high speed acceleration (passing) numbers. Improved torque, particularly at low rpms, will improve 0-60 times. Also, the new M3 is heavier than its predecessor, negating some of the increased power, especially off-the-line acceleration (It's easier to keep more weight moving, then it is to get it started in the first place).


------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited November 08, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,250 Posts
also, with speed it gets harder and harder to increase times. for example, turning a 10 second car into a 9 second car is a piece of cake compared to turning a say 6 second car into a 5 second car. the best m3 time i've seen to date is a 5.5 0-60(multiple MT ratings i think in 95 and 97), and the estimated for the new m3 is 4.8. thats' .7 seconds of a difference andi agree that for 100 hp, that seems like it sucks but i'm sure the top end is much better(although i'm sure it's limited arond 130) and the gearing is slightly different.
 

·
Am I Hype-R???
Joined
·
13,648 Posts
Actually, going from 17 sec to 16 sec is a piece of cake, going from 10 sec to 9 sec is more like a meal. Going from 6 sec to 5 sec is like a gourmet meal for 50.


------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop
90 Integra
86 Corolla GTS (AE86)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,250 Posts
oh and you are talking about mustang gt's right? i hope not the stock one because that's a little beyond unbelievable =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, as unbelievable as it seems, I meant the GT in stock form. In Motor Trend, the 12/99 issue, the GT 5-speed is 5.4 seconds 0-60 and 1/4 mile in 14 flat


Originally posted by mrclam:
oh and you are talking about mustang gt's right? i hope not the stock one because that's a little beyond unbelievable =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,250 Posts
well , ast long as it's the GT and not the stock plain everyday mustang, i'm okay iwth that. the new GT's have i think 260 hp in that 4.6L v8....so it has a decent powerplant =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by HyperMKIV:
Actually, going from 17 sec to 16 sec is a piece of cake, going from 10 sec to 9 sec is more like a meal. Going from 6 sec to 5 sec is like a gourmet meal for 50.


Yup, same thing with top speed. The hp required to go faster keeps going up as top speed goes up. The wind resistance gets so big that tons of hp is required to squeeze out that extra 1 mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,250 Posts
hey HIBBoyScott, areyou on supra forums? were you the one that posted that longazz list about Ford?
if it was you taht thing was hilarious
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
hey HIBBoyScott, areyou on supra forums? were you the one that posted that longazz list about Ford?
if it was you taht thing was hilarious
Yup, I'm also on Supraforums. And yup that was me, but no I'm not crazy enough to type all that out. Cut and paste is a marvelous thing...
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top