Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been on this forum for a bit now, and even though this is off the topic of our beloved ISs, but since all'y'all are like family now, I'll post this..

Rumour that honda of america plans to release the new NSX in 2003 with a price of around 50K. How? First, no more aluminum body, all steel construction. Second, that will allow them to mass produce this car along with the new RL (both will share the same V8. NSX will have a v8 @ 390 Hp). Apparantely they're targeting the M3 market now. I think it's possible. The RL which will basically have the same engine will cost around 45k.

As a big honda fan, this rumour excites the hell out of me, and if it's true, 50k is not that much far off from a loaded BMW 330I (41k). So, people, start saving now!!! I know I am.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
I'd buy an NSX if I could afford one...they are slick MotherFers. If that price holds up maybe it will happen before I am 50.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
what happen to the rumor that Honda was going to turn NSX into a exotic car to compete with Ferrari and Lambo? Also, wasn't there a rumor stating that Honda is considering a turbocharged V8 with 4 wheel drive system that uses the ATTS?
I guess it is good that they decide to make the car cheaper, but I don't want them to make a great car into a just good car.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah - well there is also a rumor that the NSX will switch to front-engined

It is starting to sound like a Honda Corvette... Front engined big V8...

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
The C5 performs just as well as the current NSX at half the price!

·
Registered
654 Posts
I heard once that the NSX was going to be more expensive (around 120k.) Then I heard that they would go the opposite direction and head down the money ladder. Rumors can be very misleading so I don't think you should get your hopes up too much. Heck, I've been waiting for a Skyline for years now... (official Nissan release, not 90k Motorex RHD)

On a separate note, "WHAT THE #*&%!" The NSX is supposed to be an exotic car, the only true japanese exotic sports car. Handmade, aluminum body, that's exotic! So of course the price will be steep; people who own Ferraris and Lamborghinis scarcely complain out loud about how expensive their cars are. Now they're dragging down the NSX to the level of a M3? While the M3 is a great car, it's no Ferrari. An exotic car of course isn't the most practical car nor the best performing (I think someone posted an article about the best handling car above 30k and it was the M3!) but it holds a revered place in the automotive hierarchy don't you agree? Now I hear the NSX is going from sub-exotic to mass production? What a shame! The NSX is a flagship, not only for Acura, but for all japanese cars.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
C5 also perform just as good as the F550 and the viper perform just as good as the Lambo. But I don't think it is fair to compare these cars. When you look at the current NSX, you are looking at one great engineering achievement. Just look at how the chassis is constructed, which account for the majority of the price tag, will amaze you. I do have to say that its engine is not as good as it suppose to, especially for Honda, who has the ability to push over 120hp per Liter.
However, I do think Honda should have a real sports coupe under $50,000 to compete with the C5, M3, Skyline, and etc. I still hope they will build a car that can compete with Ferrari, Lambo, and Porsche. It just seem weird that Japanese does not have a car to compete with the best when they do have some of the most advance stuff used in car today (especially Honda).

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
the s2000 is good for competition...
the japanese car companies did have some good competition in production but they killed all of those in favor of producing SUVs.....the late 90s car market killed sports cars....the mr2, the supra, the 3000gt, rx7, 300zx...now taht its coming back i think all of them have plans at producing their once great sports cars...a rumored supra, rx7-evolve, new z, etc...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think Nissan is extremely stupid not to bring the Skyline. No offense to other Japanese sport cars, but Skyline is the king of Japanese sport cars. This is the only car ever that could have kept up with some of world's best performance car, as they have shown on race track many many time. The car also comes with the best engine ever build in Japanese car history (in my opinion at least), and has probably the best if not the second best all wheel drive system in the world (read the road and track article when they tested the R33 V-spec). And all these technology for only around $50,000. This is a bargain compare to Viper or Porsche. Oh well, I have seen Nissan made way too many dumb decisions, I guess that's why they are doing so poorly right now.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just wondering.

When I lived in the US (10-7 years ago), nobody knew what a Skyline was. (At least none of my friends around me knew.) That was when the R32 Skyline GT-R was making legends in racing, sales and all other aspects in Japan. (And a Japanese High school kid's dream at that time.)

It was frustrating when people made fun of Japanese cars (after learning that I was from Japan of course). I always used to think "if only Nissan exported the Skyline to the US..."

Now, everyone seems to know about it. Lancer Evo and Impreza WRX are some other exapmles that are well known but not sold in the US.

Could this be some influence from Gran Turismo (Playstation)? If it is, I think Ferrari has made the biggest mistake of not allowing their cars on this game.

[This message has been edited by Altezza (edited August 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let's just hope this rumour can happen, because if it does,

Nissan might be inclined to bring the skyline here at a competetive price with the rumoured 50k NSX. Toyota might go ahead with a New supra (4000GT?) and Mazda might bring the RX-7 back to the U.S. Trends come and go, and hopefully, the far-more-superior-than-domestic-sports coupes such as the supra might make its way back over here when that trend comes back.

No more putting up with mustanks and crapmaros.

·
Registered
202 Posts
FYI - NSX rumor is old news...There are actually several variations on it including a new "ZS" refresh this fall followed hopefully by the real V8 variant sometime in 2003-2005 period. The latest rumor has the NSX possibly be reconfigured as a FE/RWD car to even save further money in packaging (ME/RWD requires a lot of structural reinforcement, that's why even with the aluminum body, the present NSX still weighs comparable to a 996 Steel bodied Porsche).

As far as the SKyline goes, that's also been confirmed coming here in a LHD model that suppposedly gets the name truncated to GTR only and sports a V8. Catch is, they are trying to keep the Skyline in the league of the world's elite supercars, thus also will carry a supercar price of ~90K (same as the new Toyota 4000GT).

FOr more info, check out www.vtec.net for Honduh news, www.freshalloy.com for Nissan News, and www.supraforums.com for Supra / Toyco related news..

Originally posted by vvtipwr:
Let's just hope this rumour can happen, because if it does,

No more putting up with mustanks and crapmaros.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I hope they don't put a V8 in the Skyline. The engine they have right now is great, capable of lots of power without doing mod to it. I am crossing my finger right now because I am hoping by the time I finished paying my IS, I'll have a Skyline to drive.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Are there any pix of this Skyline? I haven't heard much about it...I am not a true Japanese car man...in fact the IS would be my first.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The RB26DETT inline 6 of the present GTR is going bye-bye, because of emmissions reasons. There's a few rumors ciculating that the next GTR will use the V8 of the new Q45 but with twin-turbos, hence the new stratospheric pricing.

Originally posted by Daniel:
I hope they don't put a V8 in the Skyline. The engine they have right now is great, capable of lots of power without doing mod to it. I am crossing my finger right now because I am hoping by the time I finished paying my IS, I'll have a Skyline to drive.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
While we're off subject here I wanted to pass on to any of you who might know of anyone who wants to buy US spec/warrantied Ferrari 360's. My uncle sells a variety of European cars that are tough to get here but are fully certified, new, and warrantied. He has eight 360's for sale right now. Two have cleared customs and are stateside, ready to go. Thanks in advance for the latitude, TEG and webmaster.

[This message has been edited by brad (edited August 30, 2000).]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts