Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 350 came with Dunlop SportMaxx tires on the 18" rims. Sizes are 225f/255r which, not coincidentally, are the same sizes as my old '03 M3. I went through 2 sets of tires on that car- pilot sports as OEM and then F1 GS D3's as aftermarkets. Neither one tramlined and both were relatively quiet with great traction.

My question is this:

Is anyone having trouble with tramlining (side-to-side slipping motion when on grooved pavement)? Should I have the alignment checked at the dealer? I'm talking 70mph on a 4-lane hwy. It's scary to say the least and even my passengers notice it.

Thanks.
 

·
Geezer
Joined
·
52,611 Posts
I get that a little bit on some city streets with seams in the blacktop, but I haven't noticed anything unusual on the highway. I drove 500 miles in Tennessee last week on all sorts of road surfaces and didn't notice any problems. Where the concrete has been sawed, most any car will seem to weave a little, but will still track without any extra steering effort.

I have the same tire and wheel setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michael said:
Haven't really noticed it yet, but I think alignments are supposed to be free for the first 1k miles at least. If you have any suspicion it's an alignment problem you might as well have it checked out.
Thanks for the info. It just doesn't feel right.
 

·
Geezer
Joined
·
52,611 Posts
MarWar80 said:
Has anyone noticed that our rear tires are a bit wider than the front? How will that affect tire rotation?
Yes it's a staggered tire setup. We won't be able to rotate front to rear. Might could rotate right to left, but I don't know how much gain that would be. I hear tell that the tires probably will barely last 15,000 miles anyway, so I guess rotation wouldn't be much advantage. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
bartkat said:
Yes it's a staggered tire setup. We won't be able to rotate front to rear. Might could rotate right to left, but I don't know how much gain that would be. I hear tell that the tires probably will barely last 15,000 miles anyway, so I guess rotation wouldn't be much advantage. :(
Their also directional tires so right to left rotation really isn't feasible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Today when i took a sharp left hand turn on the highway and gunned it, the tires felt like they shifted? I felt like the sidewall or something must have compressed in. Everything was fine, just felt awkward. Has anyone else experienced this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,190 Posts
Jherb350 said:
Their also directional tires so right to left rotation really isn't feasible.
Actually it is, you just have to remount the tire... think if you could move the tire ONLY from right to left at the rear. Still, not sure how much good that does on tire wear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,575 Posts
jsk97vmi said:
Today when i took a sharp left hand turn on the highway and gunned it, the tires felt like they shifted? I felt like the sidewall or something must have compressed in. Everything was fine, just felt awkward. Has anyone else experienced this?
Make sure your tire pressures are set correctly, I believe 35F and 37R,...check the driver's side door post sticker.
 

·
Geezer
Joined
·
52,611 Posts
Apakalypse said:
Its just a fact of life with this car, youre going to spend $800-$1000 every 15-20k miles....not much you can do about it
I agree and there's no economy in buying cheap tires either. I made that mistake, putting Kuhmo 711's on my IS300. 10,000 miles and they were shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,190 Posts
bartkat said:
I agree and there's no economy in buying cheap tires either. I made that mistake, putting Kuhmo 711's on my IS300. 10,000 miles and they were shot.
Awe crap, I was TOTALLY looking at something like Kuhmos for my Dunlop replacements... there goes that.
 

·
Geezer
Joined
·
52,611 Posts
Michael said:
Awe crap, I was TOTALLY looking at something like Kuhmos for my Dunlop replacements... there goes that.
They have better Kumo's maybe but the 711 were crap.

I switched to Fuzions and they were really nice and handled well, at a good price. Can't say about mileage though cause I only had a few thousand miles on them when I traded.

When it comes time to replace the IS350 tires I think I'll spring for the top of the line Goodyears. I think I can get some discount "employe" coupons for those.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top