Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
I have done a few searches but never really found anything concrete. I plan on knocking out part of my 60k tune up tonight... new spark plugs.

I have read everything from .3 or is it .03 all the way to .44? The guys gapping in the low 30's seem to be boosted... and have heard a few different things about NA.

So... what should I gap them too? Mods in the sig shouldnt make a difference since im still mostly stock.

Thanks guys.

PS: Anyone know if a clogged cat will cause bad gas mileage? I have been getting horrible gas mileage lately. The spark plugs are my first step, but I seem to get a sulfur/egg smell while doing some 'spirited driving'. Never had an issue like that in previous cars. The mazzuri is not installed yet so I still have all 3 factory cats.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet, thanks guys. They all came pre-gapped and all came out to .043-44 so I didn't touch them.

Car seems to run much smoother, improved throttle response... I'm a happy man and the install was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Thanks for the info on the cat. Luckily my gas light was on as I pulled the car in the garage to do the spark plugs so I filled up afterwards. So I should know in acouple days if it was the plugs or if a failing cat is to blame too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey man, i had a similar problem with my cat at about 64k... service engine light on?

... all i know is that Lexus replaced it for free because its still on factory waranty til 80k

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey man, i had a similar problem with my cat at about 64k... service engine light on?

... all i know is that Lexus replaced it for free because its still on factory waranty til 80k
No check engine lights. It's still alittle too soon to tell gas mileage but the car feels much better after swapping in the new plugs.

I know they have a long warranty on all the emissions equipment. If it turns out it is a bad cat... it will probably just make me get off my ass to do my Mazzuri install and just eliminate all of them :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
haha sounds good... it takes a couple days of driving to see if the light turns on..

lol. found that out when the dealership cleared the code on mine, right before i bought it

good luck man

·
Registered
29 Posts
Egg/Sulfer Smell

The Smell is your VVT-i Kicking in no worries there perfectly normal i am replaceing my plugs also so i came across this thread to find out the gap. hope i helped you a little cause you helped me ha ha peace

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ya just an expression

I know it does not really kick in but its more noticeable at higher rpms so most people say it kicks in you can really hear it in hondas at around 5000-6000. i couldnt really tell in my IS but ya

P.S. my new NGK Iridium IX Kick A$$ i could tell they gave me alot more snap and im pretty sure my 0-60 and my 1-100 times dropped. it also runs better with the aviation fuel i got from the air taxi service here in bismarck. 108 Octane FTW lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
OEM saprk plug spec: 1.1mm (0.043in)
I drive a first gen. is200 down here in Australia, and have noticed a substantial loss in power as well. I plan on changing the plugs with denso iridium IK20's, gapped as above. Ive done some research and these seem to be a great plug.(I'm interested in the NGK Iridium IX mentioned below, but how do I know which will fit my car as my model isnt listed on the site) The trade off-they need to be changed every 30,000km's due to high firing power...in turn you get better petrol milage, acceleration and less lag. You'll definately appreciate the differance. Some folks would argue that a top line plug isnt necessary for a standard luxery sport, but I beg to differ..

Speaking of the cat convertor, how can you tell if its clogged??

I am due for an oil change... I always use the same brand, fully synthetic.
I'm also due for a transmission flush and a coolent flush? Can either fluid being old cause noticable issues?

Any cool air intakes you guys can recommend, which will fit a '99 is200? Its a hard question to ask on this site because the is200 was never released in the USA...

Thanks, look forward to hearing back!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My issue with that DIY is that it is on a 1st gen and I am not sure it is still applicable on the second gens...specifically 06 IS250 AWD

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts