Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Lexus IS 300
So the other day I flip open my OEM navi and hit "I Agree" at the Caution screen and get the following message:

"Unable to read data.
Check if map DVD is correct."

I thought maybe the disc had a piece of dirt on it or something so i went into the trunk and attempted to eject the disc and it wont. Ive tried it with the car on, with the key in the on position, with the key in the accessory position, and off. I can hear the disc spinning (or what sounds like it spinning" but nothing ejects. Anyone know how I can fix this!?

I've tried pulling one of the wire harnesses from the unit in an attempt to kill the power, (thought maybe that would help) but the same problem persists.

I've not done any work on my car that may have caused any sort of problems. Just normal driving.

Any ideas?

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
did you try disconnecting the battery for a while and see if it resets?

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
bleh. mine does the same thing. I haven't used my nav in months. At first I thought I needed a new cd, now I'm wondering if it might be something else.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
bleh. mine does the same thing. I haven't used my nav in months. At first I thought I needed a new cd, now I'm wondering if it might be something else.
If you find anything let me know. I'm a REALTOR so not having my navi means I have to waste tons of time mapping properties; not fun.

Anyone who's familiar with these units: Do you think it's possible to open it up and pull the disc out if it's off track or something like that? Or is it just not that simple? Because I figure if it won't eject there's a good chance that I hit a bump or something that tossed the CD out of place...?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You can try pulling the disk out. Maybe its just dirty. The DVD drive is in the trunk, under the cover and spare tire tray, on the right side. You'll need a 10mm socket to remove the plate that covers the drive.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
ok been reading around, sounds like a problem with the unit itself.

too bad it costs like $2000.

Anyway, I've heard of a few people mentioning to unplug the unit (in the trunk) unplug your battery and hoping it resets.

I've reset my batter numerous times for a multitude of reasons and once in awhile the unit will work. for like 20 seconds.

Nobody knows if the parts inside can be replaced, so people either get an aftermarket or just leave it broken.

when mine stopped working (ages ago) I did eject the dvd (it's perfect, no scratches) and put it back, it worked for a few days and then stopped again so I just left it.

I'm gonna try to pull the unit this week (today if I feel like skipping the gym) and take it apart and clean the tracks/laser with compressed air and alcohol.

Will take pics of the process and hopefully report back with a fix.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
ok spent some time doing this at the cost of skipping the gym. my six pack can wait a day.

disclaimer; pics/instructions for educational purposes only, attempt at own risk. not responsible for inaccuracies or damages you cause or incur.

Remove trunk mat, remove trunk cover, remove tool tray, remove carpeted trim. Then remove 3 10mm bolts. Disconnect 3 plugs shown.

unit out of car. remove 2 bolts/screws that hold the bracket support on (ties the 2 brackets together, covers front of unit/access to dvd slot.

side view, you can see where you disconnected plug 1 and 2 from. arrow shows one of the 2 bolts/screws which hold on the mounting bracket that you need to remove. repeat on other side.

remove 4 screws shown. also shown here is plug 3 that you disconnected earlier. (top right)

black plastic cover removes easily, just use flathead and press down (gently) on tabs.

under that there are 3 more screws to remove.

after that you can slide the housing cover up off the unit. this is what you'll see.

remove this screw. it holds the dvd assembly in place.

now you can lift the dvd assembly upwards and out.

disconnect ribbon cable by prying (gently) the dark brown tab up.

main board view

view of bottom of dvd assembly

top view of dvd assembly

there are two covers, one at the front of the dvd assembly and one that the back, held on by 2 screws. remove this and the plastic protective sleeve will slide out. (not shown)

drive screw, this spins which moves the lense to read the dvd, green stuff is factory lube. cleaned off with qtip dipped in alcohol, applied superlube and turned the gear to get the superlube worked in. added more superlube for good measure.

lens, cleaned with qtip dipped in alcohol

wonder how long this is good for? car is 6 years old.

put everything back together for a test run. still get this message.
tried ejecting and inserting dvd, still no luck. dvd does seem to have a blemish, not quite a scratch but who knows.

disconnected negative battery terminal, stepped on brake for 10 seconds, unplugged all 3 cables from nav unit. plugged nav cables back up, reconnected negative battery terminal. turned nav on, screen with english and japanese popped up, something about initializing or something. then normal agree/disagree screen and then map.

let's see how long this works for.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
suck ass. worked during my 30+ minute drive to work this morning. went to lunch and the error came up again.

I could have probably gotten the same results had I disconnected the neg battery terminal, disconnected the cables and plugged everything back in.

Anyone have any other ideas?

I'm gonna try a newer disc to see if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok spent some time doing this at the cost of skipping the gym. my six pack can wait a day.

disclaimer; pics/instructions for educational purposes only, attempt at own risk. not responsible for inaccuracies or damages you cause or incur.......

.......let's see how long this works for.
Great write up. Too bad the outcome wasn't what we were looking for!
If nothing else works I was thinking about going to Al & Ed's or somewhere similar to ask if they would possibly be able to fix it. Though it's doubtful.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I tried; wouldn't eject.
Use the method written above to take out your nav disk. Also, I think the problem might be your nav disk. I get that every now and then but that's because mine is a copied version. So I recommend trying to change your disc or try cleaning the disc itself. The problem is your nav drive is not reading the disc so that's why it's doing that. Don't really understand why it's not reading it though since it's the oem copy. But hope this helps. If you want to try, there are some 6.1 disc on torrent that works perfectly. You can download those (do a search on google and you'll find it). Afterwards, burn it using imgburn at 2.4x on dvd+r dl and put it in and see if it works. Also, burning process may be difficult because most people end up wasting lots of disc because of burn error and dvd+r dl are not cheap disc. But good luck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So i called Lexus about that Lithium Cell battery. The guy in parts spoke to one of the techs and the tech told him that there's no battery attached to the unit at all. They had no clue what I was talking about. So I'm going to bring it in in the next few days and see if they might be able to identify it and answer the problem.
In one of my computers (a really old one) the CMOS Battery went to shit and that caused the computer to have problems functioning, starting up, etc., I figure since this unit is essentially a computer it's very possible that that battery taking a dump could result in the unit having problems starting. Like our navi problem, after pulling the power to the comp and taking a couple other steps, I could get it to run for a while but inevitably it would stop working again until I reset it yet again. The battery in some way aided the computer in saving BIOS settings, and when those settings were lost due to a loss of power from the battery my comp wouldn't start up. I'll keep you updated..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Use the method written above to take out your nav disk. Also, I think the problem might be your nav disk. I get that every now and then but that's because mine is a copied version. So I recommend trying to change your disc or try cleaning the disc itself. The problem is your nav drive is not reading the disc so that's why it's doing that. Don't really understand why it's not reading it though since it's the oem copy. But hope this helps. If you want to try, there are some 6.1 disc on torrent that works perfectly. You can download those (do a search on google and you'll find it). Afterwards, burn it using imgburn at 2.4x on dvd+r dl and put it in and see if it works. Also, burning process may be difficult because most people end up wasting lots of disc because of burn error and dvd+r dl are not cheap disc. But good luck.
Thanks. I'll keep this in mind. This weekend I'm going to take all of the necessary steps to get it working again so I'll post my results.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sorry for the spammage! But I thought this piece of an article on a computer's CMOS Battery was interesting. Sound at all familiar to our problem?

The CMOS (complementary metal-oxide semiconductor) battery is located on your computer's motherboard. It's just a little battery, not unlike what you could find powering a handheld calculator. When that battery starts to run out of power, unpleasant things will happen. You may notice that the PC keeps forgetting the date and time, resetting them to midnight on Jan. 1, 1990, perhaps. Or the PC will suddenly be unable to access certain peripherals. Or it may refuse to boot at all, displaying a "CMOS Checksum Error" or "System Configuration Lost" message instead.

Quoted from Smart Computing Article - How To Install A CMOS Battery

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
So i called Lexus about that Lithium Cell battery. The guy in parts spoke to one of the techs and the tech told him that there's no battery attached to the unit at all. They had no clue what I was talking about. So I'm going to bring it in in the next few days and see if they might be able to identify it and answer the problem.
In one of my computers (a really old one) the CMOS Battery went to shit and that caused the computer to have problems functioning, starting up, etc., I figure since this unit is essentially a computer it's very possible that that battery taking a dump could result in the unit having problems starting. Like our navi problem, after pulling the power to the comp and taking a couple other steps, I could get it to run for a while but inevitably it would stop working again until I reset it yet again. The battery in some way aided the computer in saving BIOS settings, and when those settings were lost due to a loss of power from the battery my comp wouldn't start up. I'll keep you updated..
I doubt the dealership techs would know. a lot of the parts in the car are made by other companies and therefore are not serviced at the dealer. like how if your headunit eats your cds they send it to the factory to have your cds retrieved and mail your cds to you at a later date.

next chance I get I'll de-solder the battery and see if I can't find one locally. Wouldn't it be funny that a dead battery would be the culprit, for dealers to recommend buying a whole new unit @ $2000-3000 instead of replacing a $3 battery.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

disconnect ribbon cable by prying (gently) the dark brown tab up.
I can't get the ribbon off. You're saying to pry upward on the dark brown strip that connects to the light brown base? I've tried getting my finger nail under it to pull it up but I'm not getting it.. upward like, toward the roof of my house, correct?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I doubt the dealership techs would know. a lot of the parts in the car are made by other companies and therefore are not serviced at the dealer. like how if your headunit eats your cds they send it to the factory to have your cds retrieved and mail your cds to you at a later date.

next chance I get I'll de-solder the battery and see if I can't find one locally. Wouldn't it be funny that a dead battery would be the culprit, for dealers to recommend buying a whole new unit @ $2000-3000 instead of replacing a $3 battery.
That it would. Oh, the irony. Well whenever, if ever, you get around to it I'd love to hear the results.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
I can't get the ribbon off. You're saying to pry upward on the dark brown strip that connects to the light brown base? I've tried getting my finger nail under it to pull it up but I'm not getting it.. upward like, toward the roof of my house, correct?
the ribbon is held on by the dark brown strip of plastic, which acts as a clamp. if you pry where the blue meets the dark brown (I'd try a thin flathead or knife or fingernail at the edges to avoid damaging the cable) it should pop up with minimal force. it doesn't lift straight up, it will open like this; < and the ribbon will slide out.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts