Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally had the time to dismantle my OEM Nav Housing...

Here is a link I used that helped me as well..
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=154218

My intention was to examine how exactly the TV works....

The only thing that connects (besides 4 screws) the TV housing to the Nav housing is the "Electronic Ribbon" (not sure of technical name) seen in the pictures below and a small ground wire that is seen on the rear of the unit...
The ribbon simply clips into the Electonic board found in the rear of Nav Housing.

BTW - All these NAV units have a small cooling fan that is located on the bottom of the OEM TV - its intergrated into the TV unit.. It can be heard in every IS with OEM NAV, if you listen for it..
Really Cool!! :cool:

I didn't take any pics of the NAV housing breakdown process as there are pics and intructions of that on here already... Honestly it took me about 10 minutes or less to figure it all out...

I was trying to find a way to get the TV to work just for TV/DVD purpose, but I will be working on that soon....

Start..

For NOW I just took my 5.6" Mobile Authority LCD Screen / Unit and just slapped it into the NAV housing. I ran the S-Video type cable right out of the same area as the "Electronic Ribbon" would be... It was a nice tight "OEM like" fit..!! :)

BTW - It looks and works great!! :p

Here is the final product installed in my car.... All buttons work, so I can Open and Close the NAV Housing as I wish and of course the Tilt function as well..

BTW - I included a "Movie Clip" in which the Opening scene has a side shot of a Silver Lexus SC430...and a nice "Rear Shot" !!!!
Can anyone here name the Movie??

Some pics aren't clear, but its just me!!!

Enjoy

Joe Z :bigSmile:

·
Registered
391 Posts
terminator 3 :bigSmile:

hey i'd be interested in getting the stock nav to play DVDs. i know there are a few kits available, but none seem to have very high picture quality and i'm not sure how the audio sounds

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why would you give up your navigation to have a smaller screen up there? Or do you not have Navi and got your hands on a Navi screen?

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shady69 said:
Why would you give up your navigation to have a smaller screen up there? Or do you not have Navi and got your hands on a Navi screen?
I have a 2001.... ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Joe Z said:
I have a 2001.... ;)
I see ;) Looks good! How much did you have to pay for the housing? Did you ever think of a car-puter like drivesoft or vealink? If I didn't have factory navi I would definitely look into vealink and make it look stock with the navi housing. That would be bad ass!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Hey Joe.
Since you had it apart... how easy is it to put the motor in it to make it go up and down and tilt and all that. I think that is all I am missing, but I am not sure. What is that Ginormous wire harness in the 3rd pic? Do I need that, or is that part of the NAV? LMK. BTW, it looks good.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
nice, i'm curious about that nav. housing. might have to try to track one down...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Is it possible to jus buy the tv screen housing without any other components??? I see a price for 900 dollars. What is actually 900 dollars??

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
99IS300 said:
Is it possible to jus buy the tv screen housing without any other components??? I see a price for 900 dollars. What is actually 900 dollars??
That is just about what is cost to buy all the componets to build a Nav Housing from your Lexus Parts / dealer (thats with out the TV Screen!).

You will have to purchase a 7" Faranheit or NESA TV screen and custom fit the TV into the NAV Housing unit. Of course then you'll need a DVD player to play your favorite flicks..

Good Luck
Joe Z :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts