Lexus IS Forum banner

OEM-like Plug&Play IS-PC interest?

8K views 90 replies 33 participants last post by  no-more 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry for the quality of video, I am just posting this to get some feedback on the progress.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Brib3/?action=view&current=MOV00011.flv
Video showing interaction with Stock Headunit.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Brib3/?action=view&current=Untitled-1.flv

Work in process random pic:

This pic basically reflects all the main components of the unit, brains and screen.

Hi everyone. I built a couple plug and play carpcs for the IS300 and I was wondering if there would be any interest in these units if I started producing them for is300 members.

Installing these units simply involves taking the stock HU out and plugging the IS-PC in. I will be using the stock HU PCB board and case. IT WILL RETAIN STOCK SOUND SYSTEM FUNCTIONALITY. Capabilities include: FULL TOUCHSCREEN, MP3 player, Movie player, HD radio, GPS, HDTV, OBD reader, engine tunning, etc (some of these are options). It has the capabilities of a regular PC.

Thank you all.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's some quick questions:

1) Would it be possibe to connect this to an aftermarket ECU for tuning?
2) Wireless keyboard/mouse/cell phone compatible?
3) Wi-Fi?

List the capabilities in more detail and a maybe an estimate on the price.

#6 · (Edited)
Here are some quick answers;)
Here's some quick questions:

1) Would it be possibe to connect this to an aftermarket ECU for tuning?
2) Wireless keyboard/mouse/cell phone compatible?
3) Wi-Fi?
List the capabilities in more detail and a maybe an estimate on the price.
1) Well technically I will be using a tablet pc for the build or the ASUS EEEPC, so again, anything that a laptop is capable of doing, so will this unit.
2) You can just add a bluetooth usb adapter and hook everything up.
3) It will have the capability for WI-FI, I haven't decided what tablet I will be using for parts, but again, you can just add a USB WI-FI card.
I would love it!... since you'll be using the stock radio pcb board then people with stock navi will be able to use your unit... no need to replace speakers? more detail please. if this unit become plug and play. looks high quality price is reasonable then sign me up!
Yes, you could use stock navi, or you could use a Navigation system you can install on the IS-PC, the latter probably being a wiser choice, because you can sell your stock navi ;) and cover up costs. Again, I'm still working on the price, should be around $1000 (not including all accessories).
How big are the brains?
Will it work with aftermarket equipment?
Everything fits in the STOCK HU Case, and it will work with aftermarket setups as well. All you have to do is tell me before, I start building it.
lets see some specs..
(not to flame) but I'm not too sure about a whole pc in a 6? 7"? screen..
people can build a nice car pc for under $250 and have EVERYTHING, including wireless mouse & keyboard, bluetooth, wifi WITH an antenna to grab signals far away, gps, etc etc.
and what about the screen? is it touchscreen? resolution? comparable to the carpc world as a Lilliput?
Yes, you can build a PC for $250, but you will not fit it all in the stock HU case I guarantee you. You would probably have to put it somewhere in the trunk. Afterwards you will easily spend another $50 on running cable extensions, and $100 on a power supply. Of course, you will need a monitor, add another $200-$400. A GPS add-on is going to run $100 more. If you want to have it OEM looking like in the pictures I posted, you will have to dish out another $50-$100 just in materials (you will have leftovers) + the labor to get it in that stage (I spent around 40 hours -no joke- fixing the mistakes I did the first time I built it). And of course, this assumes you know what you are doing. Expect mistakes, I have 2 broken touchscreen monitors and 2 broken tablet motherboards... they were working fine when I received them ;). Bottom line is that I am not trying to get rich here, I have some spare time, I'm in college, I don't really have a stable job and I want to offer something back to the community.

In the carpc environment, considering I will fit everything in the case, it has to be something that does not emit a lot of heat, and the processor doesn't really have to be faster than 700Mhz. Again, I was looking at the EEEPC as a possible retrofit device.

Again, the sky is the limit ;), and it is very easy to go crazy with these things. If you're on a tight budget, I recommend getting the basic unit, because upgrading it is as easy as ordering a PC part (external - USB), hooking it up and installing the software.

Alex

#3 ·
I would love it!... since you'll be using the stock radio pcb board then people with stock navi will be able to use your unit... no need to replace speakers? more detail please. if this unit become plug and play. looks high quality price is reasonable then sign me up!

#5 ·
lets see some specs..

(not to flame) but I'm not too sure about a whole pc in a 6? 7"? screen..

people can build a nice car pc for under $250 and have EVERYTHING, including wireless mouse & keyboard, bluetooth, wifi WITH an antenna to grab signals far away, gps, etc etc.

and what about the screen? is it touchscreen? resolution? comparable to the carpc world as a Lilliput?

#10 ·
Would possibly be interested, but honestly I don't like having a screen that low. Which is what has kept me from getting an aftermarket unit. Not to be picky, but it is too far of a look from the road down to where the stock HU is. (yes I would be using this on the road), plus I think it could be a problem with a 5-speed, I'm not sure. If there was anyway to make a mount where the stock NAV is, I would be a lot more interested. I wouldn't need it to pop up and down, but just a decent looking mount to have it up there. Again, maybe this is way too much to ask. But for $1k, I would want the right setup for me. Nice work though and it would be an awesome option.

#11 ·
Pretty slick. Would be interested as you get more specs/demos available.

Software UI would be huge on this - and the ability to integrate with my iPhone would be important, too :).

Currently using GROM + Aux In via Factory HU setup to support iPhone + Sirius Sportster 4.

#13 ·
UPDATES: The EEEPC is out of the question, the motherboard is too big. Purchased a Fujitsu tablet board... to big as well. I'm still working on this...
The second LCD mount that crossed my mind, (and honestly a lot better) is right above the middle air vents, the only problem with that is that you would have to lean forward to touch the screen if you're a short person ;). I have too many things going on for me right now, so this project is not a priority for me until further notice. I AM losing sleep on having all the parts for a second carpc and not installing it in the car :D. I will try to put in as much time as possible on the second carpc, and going for "stock nav" screen relocation. I will post pictures of progress as I go.

nless I will send you a PM once it's all set up for an in-person review.

Alex

#15 ·
Thats what I was talking about. I would like it much better up there. It doesn't need to flip down or anything like the factory nav, just a nice stationary mount that looks clean and not hackish haha. Hopefully some others give some input.

EDIT: Oh and did you polish your dash or what? I'm loving the super shiny black...

#16 · (Edited)
I will see if I can make an enclosure and try to fit everything in that one single piece up there. Now I only need to find a way to interface the ISPC with the stock headunit, so that you can change tracks from the HU buttons.

The dash is painted, took me a while to get it right.

#18 ·
OK, so I have started making another unit, with the screen above the vents. I just placed the order for a GROM PC interface (Car2PC-TOY), so that I can change the tracks from the stock HU, since the monitor will be out of reach when driving. I am getting pretty hyped because of this new unit, I might end up having it built in a week or so.

As I said, you can hook up any device that has a USB interface and appropriate software and drivers.

#20 · (Edited)
Well, as an update, I have most of the parts, but I am missing a HDD ribbon connector for the motherboard. Anyone here has a Fujitsu B6210? I need the serial number off of it so that I can order the part from Fujitsu.

The software in the first picture is called Road Runner and the skin is called Shock Skin, with a custom wallpaper. I think I made that wallpaper with a print screen from lexus website.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

#21 ·
Subscribed. I already have a motorized head unit sitting in the garage, I planned on using it to either house the megasquirts touch screen informeter or hiding real gauges, but this looks good, I could probably find another way for the megasquirt to show info via a PC, and have OBDII up and going...

THis looks pretty cool man, keep us updated!

#27 ·
I'm interested too. I would want one for the stock HU though, since I already have stock nav. I'll keep an eye on the thread. Any idea what the price range will be yet?

+Rep for innovation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.