Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Taken from CL member jlin101

jlin101 said:
The Oct issue of C&D has a $35k sports sedan comparison with 330i at #1, followed by IS350 at #2, then G35, TL, CTS, S60R and Saab. I was excited to see that although the IS trailed the bimmer by 1 point (due mostly to poor rear seat room/comfort), it was by far the fastest in all the acceleration and braking tests. How about 0-60 in 5.1 :eek2: (the next quickest were TL and G35 at 5.9), and 1/4 mile in less than 14 s at 104 mph--all this with a no-brainer auto tranny (no danger of stalling the engine or frying the clutch). Even the 5-60 rolling start clocked in at 5.3. The only area the IS did not do as well was slalom and cornering, due to the undefeatable stability control. Hopefully these numbers reflect the production run and not some pre-production anomaly.

·
Registered
138 Posts
WOW! The posted speed numbers are simply mind boggling for a supposedly entry lux sedan. Now it appears the 2nd gen. IS has raised the performance bar in a "class" all by itself. In the end, it also appears that Toyota Corp. really meant what they said at the very outset with the intentions of this new IS.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
the stupid thing is that the IS350 lost to the 330i by 1 friggn' point. 212 to 213 or something like that.

it seems they can never admit that someone built a car mightier than the 3-series. its faster, better fit and finish, more reliable (i would imagine), has more features and benefits and is a whole fist full less expensive.

a decked out 330i is almost $50,000.
....for a friggn' 3-series...

Reactions: adamsheehy

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JayMarino said:
the stupid thing is that the IS350 lost to the 330i by 1 friggn' point. 212 to 213 or something like that.

it seems they can never admit that someone built a car mighter than the 3-series. its faster, better fit and finish, more reliable (i would imagine), has more features and benefits and is a whole fist full less expensive.

a decked out 330i is almost $50,000.
....for a friggn' 3-series...
The 330 actually BROKE DOWN during the test. lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thats just crazy! Can anyone scan this? I raced my 98 SupraTT at the track (6-speed) pushing something like 440hp at the time and my first rookie run was 13.8....whats this mean: An automatic that almost any average joe can produce a sub 5.5 0-60 time is indeed sick.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apakalypse said:
Thats just crazy! Can anyone scan this? I raced my 98 SupraTT at the track (6-speed) pushing something like 440hp at the time and my first rookie run was 13.8....whats this mean: An automatic that almost any average joe can produce a sub 5.5 0-60 time is indeed sick.
I hope to scan later tonight.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Can anyone tell me the price of the IS350 that was tested. If it is indeed $35k, then I would consider...however, $45k would be a different story.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
EZ said:
Can anyone tell me the price of the IS350 that was tested. If it is indeed $35k, then I would consider...however, $45k would be a different story.

The same engine comes with the 35k and 42k version

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
Given the magazine's bias towards BMW, a one point difference is encouraging.

·
Registered
215 Posts
HoustonLex said:
The same engine comes with the 35k and 42k version
I thought the IS250 was a 2.5L v6. Maybe you were confused with the questions. What is the base price of a IS350?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
The bimmer broke down and it was still ahead...
teh biasness amazed me.

Btw, c&d is known to pull quickest time compared to other mags, so that number may not be a good measure for a real world driving.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
HoustonLex said:
Im not surprised you cant figure out which one after reading the HIMNI racing threads

oh but I can I wanted to see you edit your mistake :approve:

:lol:

I am not the one that put the 250 both times :lol:

I knew which was which thanks

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
So if Lexus offers a manual next year, it'll be sub 5.0 sec, yikes.

It would have to have a manual and switchable VDIM for me to consider it though, regardless of 0-60 times. But those who aren't so picky, go get one, damn!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
ckolsen said:
So if Lexus offers a manual next year, it'll be sub 5.0 sec, yikes.

It would have to have a manual and switchable VDIM for me to consider it though, regardless of 0-60 times. But those who aren't so picky, go get one, damn!
There's gotta be some way somebody will figure out a way to bypass the VDIM. Just like how people have found ways to customize the IS300... like having the foglights turn on without the headlamps being on.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts