Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yes ---i highly recommend you stick with the stock b pipe and run a axle back with aftermarket header and y pipe to keep rasp and drone down..
See, I don't know, I have the EVO II, and I LOVE the sound of it, though I only have the SRT intake with it, but it is quiet when need be, but if you get on it, you can for sure hear it. Sorry, I cant help with a header though.

·
Premium Member
9,782 Posts
See, I don't know, I have the EVO II, and I LOVE the sound of it, though I only have the SRT intake with it, but it is quiet when need be, but if you get on it, you can for sure hear it. Sorry, I cant help with a header though.
Yup i had the greddy evo II with HP header and toyomoto y pipe and ill tell you it was very loud ...too loud for me ..now if the car was as fast as it sounded then i would of kept the set up lol ....

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've been modifying cars for many many many years...

I'm telling you, Apex'i WS2/Tanabe one of those two, coupled with a aftermarket header of some kind and, if you want...a JoeZ. Again, my setup at cruise speeds is on my very accurate decibel meter, the same as stock in sheer volume. At some revs it is 2-3 db louder. At WOT in the car it's about 4db louder.

Throw a cat in there, and you'll have no fumes...it'll be as quiet as it was from the factory with a change in the tone mostly and louder at WOT but not by much.

With bolt-ons you won't get much more than a 20% increase in power on a great day. That's not a lot, it's not going to pin you back in your seat or make the world turn into a blur. You would be able to feel that increase if you did it all at one time, if you do it part-by-part you probably won't feel much of anything from any of the parts individually as they only provide maybe a 5-10hp increase.... and trust me, 5-10hp isn't anything you can really feel.

It'll sound more fun and once the whole package is together it will be a different car to some degree.

You could just go boost, but boost is another thing all together and there is no reasonable cost turbo/supercharger option.... yes, the $/hp can't be beaten but the cost of entry is quite high. Also, with turbo there's a million hidden costs - upgrading the transmission, increased service intervals, small engine reinforcements to larges ones, etc....and in the end you'll wind up with a car that isn't that fast either (unless you go really crazy) and then it'll only be crazy fast in a straight line... because the chasis and suspension can't cope with 1000hp when you are going through the bends...

The problem most enthusiasts have is having super high expectations and thinking they know better than the factory.

Bolt-ons are to refine what you already have, maybe make it sound better and yes make it a little bit faster on paper. The nice thing is, that power is all on tap at any time, it won't be too much for the chassis, suspension, or tire package so on a road course it would be able to utilize all the power you've created and frankly.... it's cheap.

Let me give you a pretty straightforward analogy...

The power to weight ratio of the IS300 if it weighs 3500lbs with driver (like mine does) is (assuming 215bhp is actually being produced in stock form) = 16.27 lbs per horsepower.

Now, add about 25hp to the crankshaft and you have...240hp which is being conservative as most bolt-on cars would have a little more than that.

3500 / 240 hp = 14.58 lbs per hp

Now, let's see what the car would need to weigh for that same ratio with 215hp.

x / 215 hp = 14.58 lbs per hp.

14.58*215 = x or 3,134.7lbs

Okay, so go find friends that add up to about 353 lbs (the difference between the two), put them in the car and drive around hard.

Take those friends out of the car and go drive around hard after that. While the handling is a whole other issue and while the ratios aren't EXACT to rear world, they're pretty close.

That's roughly the difference that a well set up bolt-on car should have in terms of before/after feel. Many people may not notice this because they bought everything piece-by-piece.... and admittedly some people may not even call it much of a difference... so do the experiment and try for yourself before you plunk down maybe $2000 to do all the NA mods you can really sensibly do.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yup i had the greddy evo II with HP header and toyomoto y pipe and ill tell you it was very loud ...too loud for me ..now if the car was as fast as it sounded then i would of kept the set up lol ....
Hahaha Understandable!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've come to my decision im gonna go with greddy ti-c exhaust, keep the b pipe, and add the high flow cat. I wont add this till I finish doing the oem nav install im currently doing. But thanks to the guys who helped me make my decision

·
Registered
536 Posts
Good luck, let us know how it turns out. Also, just keep in mind when buying that exhaust that it's going to be pretty loud if you ever decide to put in an aftermarket header.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
today im recieving my megan y-pipe. soon ill buy the obx headers and token o2 sim.

·
Registered
367 Posts
it comes with the y-pipe to? and do u smell it in the car? i dont mind it outside but if i drive and smell ass ill just day fuck the headers and use my money elsewhere
The OBX comes with both the header and Y-Pipe.

The car will smell like rotten eggs inside the cabin if you decide to use both parts and that's why I'm running OBX with stock Y which has the secondary cat.

I would highly recommend the Token Solution PNP 02 delete. No CEL to date.

·
Premium Member
9,782 Posts
The OBX comes with both the header and Y-Pipe.

The car will smell like rotten eggs inside the cabin if you decide to use both parts and that's why I'm running OBX with stock Y which has the secondary cat.

I would highly recommend the Token Solution PNP 02 delete. No CEL to date.
oH THE smells not that bad..........

·
Registered
595 Posts
oH THE smells not that bad..........
its not that bad if you are youst to it, but initially it truly does smell horrible. one good thing though is that when someone behind you pisses you off, just floor it, and look in your rear view mirror as all of that black smoke land on their car lol(it has to truly be an asshole though:rolleyes:

·
Registered
536 Posts
ya after the first day or so you don't even notice it. My girlfriend never did notice it. I am putting in a 2.5" magnaflow high flow cat this week though as well, it makes me feel a hair less guilty :p

Black smoke? sounds like you my friend are running excessively rich :p.

·
Registered
595 Posts
i keep the silencer in my JIC exhaust because it cuts down on the smell and as far as running rich, that is just what our cars do at WOT.

·
Premium Member
9,782 Posts
its not that bad if you are youst to it, but initially it truly does smell horrible. one good thing though is that when someone behind you pisses you off, just floor it, and look in your rear view mirror as all of that black smoke land on their car lol(it has to truly be an asshole though:rolleyes:
At WOT i dont get any black smoke ........and i have a full cat less exhaust :suspiciou

·
Registered
595 Posts
Im not referring to a large cloud, im referring to a small puff, you say you dont have it? i dont think you have noticed it. It is very common in our cars, search and it will come up, and which exhaust do you have, is it an N1 type opr muffler type, because it is much more evident on N1 style mufflers.

·
Premium Member
9,782 Posts
You made it sound like you were proud of smoking someone out ....wat your referring to and how minimal it is, you trying to see it, thats how people get in accidents and immature ish

·
Registered
595 Posts
am i proud to smoke someone out, no. Do i smoke someone out who generally deserves it, yes. I usually see it at night time due the particles being emited directly into a light source therefore seeing it. I am not a fan of being immature and acting childish while driving, i am 21 years old and i do the speed limit everywhere i go often a few mph below. I have no intentions of causing accidents i just don't like assholes that drive excessively aggressive when its unnecessary. anyway back tot he topic...
Im referring to the "puff" of exhaust emitted when your car hits redline(not something i do often). i run the OBX header/Y-pipe mated to a JIC bullet Ti exhaust so my puff is very noticeable on the stock tune. If you need to witness it, stand a few feet behind your car and have someone bounce off the rev limiter(I know its not the smartest thing in the world). when it hits redline or gets close the stock tune often will add excessive fuel for protection because doing this helps to prevent damage(if i remember correctly)

·
Registered
536 Posts
He's right, I'm sure that there is a puff of black smoke that would be evident at WOT from the back of a straight pipe IS300. The car DOES run pig rich from the factory at redline....

However, I personally have never noticed it. Then again, I don't spend a lot of time driving behind myself :).

Another thing is the poster in question may have a car that's running even richer than some of ours. I have mentioned this before, but there's several factory maps floating around, there was an update in 2004 I believe that was done by some of the dealers...there's also CA controlled and 49-state emissions standard maps.

Further, if you for example had one cylinder running a little lean for some reason (carbon build up, clogged fuel injector, or just some factory variation in your header or intake or whatever)....you would have a richer tune because the computer would have noted a slightly lean condition at some point and richened things up to correct for that.

Anyhow, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about - definitely nothing to argue over folks.

Moral of the story: unburnt fuel is coming out of your exhaust if you don't have a cat.... that may or may not result in black smoke and may or may not be burning a hole slowly in the lungs of pedestrians and a hole in the atmosphere :)

·
Premium Member
9,782 Posts
OK this is stupid , this is not my first rodeo ..but if your blowing enough black smoke out to smoke some other car out thats not a good thing if your not diesel...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Also, just keep in mind when buying that exhaust that it's going to be pretty loud if you ever decide to put in an aftermarket header.
Will it be loud enough to get pulled over? Will it be loud at cruising speeds as well? the exhaust I want to get comes with a silencer would that make a difference

·
Registered
595 Posts
Will it be loud enough to get pulled over? Will it be loud at cruising speeds as well? the exhaust I want to get comes with a silencer would that make a difference
Depending on which type of exhaust you go go with it may be loud, but sitting next to a cop at a stop light the smell is what gets you caught.

and the black smoke is the aforementioned puff, im not saying that its a big ass cloud, but it is noticeable at WOT for a few seconds. Not diesel sized clouds...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts