Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading and watching so many documentaries on obesity I believe that people are putting too much emphasis on the so-called "FAT GENE." There's no question that genetics plays a role, but it's less significant than most believe (according to many scientists). There are more overweight/obese people in the States than any other country in the world by a large margin. The problem is getting worse and it's far worse today than 10-20 years ago. Some of my relations came to settle down in the States from Sri Lanka a few years ago thin as sticks. All of them gained a lot of weight since then. Is it the food that's consumed in the States? I think that has A LOT to do with iti... Compared with the other four food pyramids, ours is the worst. There's also a lot of social and environmental predispostion to obesity. .... However, there are a lot more healtier foods/exercise programs out there today than years ago. More alternatives like Skim/soy milk and aspartame... Then why are we getting FATTER....I don't want to hear about this genetic crap because the US is the cultural melting pot with a diverse genetic make-up that's all getting heavier.. I stay in good shape by working hard at it. I wasn't blessed with a great metabolism so I have to watch what I eat and exercise regularly otherwise I'd be a FAT SLOB!
Eric.....

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
TV and gaming systems take away from things like exercise. Your body adapts to things quickly and it is easy as hell to add 10 lbs, whereas it is much harder to drop it. We are for the most part a lazy society that eats too much and does not get enough exercise. It is pretty easy.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
i've worked out hard every day so far this week... and if i didnt'... I'd still be a skinny fock ;)

I feel for fat people who cannot lose weight, but i think its pure ignorance labeling all of them w/ a broad statement... there are the fat who do it to themselves, but one thing skinny people never respect is the heavy-set body type's inability to burn calories at the rate of someeone like myself.

I can eat well over 2k calories ina day and not gain an ounce. my body jsut ups the metabolic rate to adjust (it can only do this if i'm fit... after a few months of sitting on my ass i cannot eat like this anymore or i get a gut)... and I get really warm.

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
If you give fat people AIDS, they'll lose weight for sure! Sadatay!!

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Trovador said:
s0yb0mb said:

I can eat well over 2k calories ina day and not gain an ounce. my body jsut ups the metabolic rate to adjust ...
I hate you Soy.
when i was in college (3 yrs ago) i tried putting on weight and got sorta stupid scientific about it. I worked out 2x a day and was pushing over 2500 calories a day into me. One day, they serverd sloppy joes so as a joke, i ate 4 of them for lunch, a whopping 2200 calories on lunch alone, probably near 4k for the day and all i did was crap a lot. no real gains.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Personally, I think it is a little of both. I definitely believe that genetics has something to do with it, but I'm also sure that a lot of it comes from our sedentary culture. Not everyone is graced with a high metabolism, but it is possible to overcome that with the appropriate amount of dedication. Trust me on this one; I have experienced this recently.

Although the culture may be a contributor, I think it is in the end the sole responsibility of the person whose body it is. I think all of this stuff about "McDonald's made me fat!" is nonsense.

EDIT: Dang it, used who's instead of whose. :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
Trovador said:
s0yb0mb said:

I can eat well over 2k calories ina day and not gain an ounce. my body jsut ups the metabolic rate to adjust ...
I hate you Soy.
when i was in college (3 yrs ago) i tried putting on weight and got sorta stupid scientific about it. I worked out 2x a day and was pushing over 2500 calories a day into me. One day, they serverd sloppy joes so as a joke, i ate 4 of them for lunch, a whopping 2200 calories on lunch alone, probably near 4k for the day and all i did was crap a lot. no real gains.
LOL -- that's funny -- my brother is like that --

I on the other hand, have been heavy all my life -- from the Husky pants as a kid to present day.

At my peak -- 219lbs, that was over a year ago. since then I've been going to hte gym regularly (except for a hiatus when i was lazy and depressed about it) I do get a bit obsessed about it.

But now, I'm down to 190lbs with 23% body fat -- which puts me in the about average range. I'm hoping to drop about 10 more lbs of fat - and get to about 18% body fat -- still won't be thin -- but that's my goal --

d.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
well what are you doing to cut fat?

I had an 8 month break from all physical activity due to asthma, and put on 10 lbs... it was all fat, and i busted in at about 19% body fat. I've got it down now to 14% and lost the 10 lbs... diet, and cardio.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I'll never live it down in here, but I'll mention it anyway. In five months, I went from a whopping 245lbs to 153lbs (as of yesterday). I used no drugs, no science, and no "official" diet plan. What I did use was <1000 calories a day, and 1.5hrs in the gym, seven days a week. This is the reason I believe that it is quite possible to control your genetics even if you are predisposed to being large. This is also why I am somewhat skeptical of "wonder diets" and drug assisted plans.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
damn dude, now you HAVE to post b4 and after photos... that's an accomplishment FOR REAL! :eek:
Thanks man. I do have those photos, but I'll have to think real hard about posting them in this place. I shudder to think what type of photoshop opportunities they might present someone. :)

No doubt it changes your life. Imagine strapping a midget (uh sorry, little person) to your back for a week. That's about the change I have gone through, just reversed.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
you have *my* word that *i* won't chop them....

and even if someoene does, its all in good fun bro, no harm intended. YOu should be proud!

·
Registered
589 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
well what are you doing to cut fat?

I had an 8 month break from all physical activity due to asthma, and put on 10 lbs... it was all fat, and i busted in at about 19% body fat. I've got it down now to 14% and lost the 10 lbs... diet, and cardio.
Well I dropped my first 30lbs or so (scale, weight -- didn't track body fat, but I know i added a lot of muscle during that time) by following the body for life plan (www.bodyforlife.com) -- it's nto easy and a bit corny at times, but it really worked. All natural, no supplements, but lots of myoplex meal replacement shakes

then I kinda burnt out -- stopped eating right and put about 10lbs back on (fat)

now I'm serious about it again.

I'm following a plan that was reccommended to me by a guy at my gym -- called the Ultimate Muscle Mass program -- basically you are shocking your body into muscle growth and never getting into a rut -- either with workouts or eating -- so I'll never eat the same amounts of food for more an two weeks at a time.

This week I'm taking less than 500calories in a day -- (boy did that make me crabby on monday and tuesday) but I'm used to it now...

next week I'll be able to eat until I'm full -- as long as it is healthy foods.

and I work out 4+ days a week -- I'm also taking Xenadrine right now -

it's all about dedication -- and getting your friends/support system to understand what your doing and not be tempting you...

d.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
s0yb0mb said:
Trovador said:
s0yb0mb said:
One day, they serverd sloppy joes so as a joke, i ate 4 of them for lunch, a whopping 2200 calories on lunch alone, probably near 4k for the day and all i did was crap a lot. no real gains.

You may not have gained any weight on the outside, but that doesn't stop the accumulation of artery clogging fat... During college I worked as a cardic tech in the cardiothoracic unit and many of the patients that came in for bypasses were skinny as sticks.... What you look like on the outside is an illusion compared to what's going on in the coronary vessels... Artherosclerosis and arteriosclerosis lead to America's #1 and #3 killers (Heart disease and Stroke)....
Eric...

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Xenadrine is gonna hurt more than help bro. you body will over compensate when you're done taking it and slow your metabolism down even more.

All that expensive powder you're eating is just money down the drain.

forget about building muscle and work on the cardio aspect. work for an hour at least 3 times a week at cardio and you WILL see results assuming you can keep under 1500 calories a day.

·
Registered
589 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
Xenadrine is gonna hurt more than help bro. you body will over compensate when you're done taking it and slow your metabolism down even more.

All that expensive powder you're eating is just money down the drain.

forget about building muscle and work on the cardio aspect. work for an hour at least 3 times a week at cardio and you WILL see results assuming you can keep under 1500 calories a day.
you may be right about hte xenadrine -- I've know people with both good and no results.

the powder is more of a convience. I truely believe that it is healthier to eat 4-6 small meals a day than 1 -2 bigger ones. the powder makes it easier to do that -- I will get tired of it and have real food dor a while then go back to it because it's so easy.

I'm planning to pack on some muscle and then first of the year I'm gonna hit the cardio realy hard -- hopefully burn off a layer of fat to so I can show off my new muscles come summer...

d.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
jonr1 said:
Personally, I think it is a little of both. I definitely believe that genetics has something to do with it, but I'm also sure that a lot of it comes from our sedentary culture. Not everyone is graced with a high metabolism, but it is possible to overcome that with the appropriate amount of dedication. Trust me on this one; I have experienced this recently.

Although the culture may be a contributor, I think it is in the end the sole responsibility of the person who's body it is. I think all of this stuff about "McDonald's made me fat!" is nonsense.
Genetics play a small role, but as you and texcon said, most of it is due to our inactive, inherently lazy, always on the go culture. I read recently that lack of proper sleep can screw with your body's metabolism and make it easier to gain weight. When I was in college and running track and cross country, I would run 60-70 miles a week and i was a skinny little fock. I could go to burger king and eat a double whopper with king sized fries and a drink, eat a couple of snickers bars, eat half a bag of potato chips and half a roll of oreos and not put on any weight. Hell, I had to eat all the time just to keep myself from starving. After i started working, and wasn't training, I put on about 15 lb or so. Now I am finally starting to run seriously again, and I'm sure I'll shed a few pound from my beer belly, well if you could call it that.

I think that for almost everyone who is overweight, if they ate a healthier diet, ate reasonable portions of food, and excercised regularly, they could lose weight and get in better shape.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
14 Participants
SeattleSheila
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing