Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I bought a 2001 IS300 last May, never have had any problem with it. I kept it in the garage almost all of the time for like six months (I worked at home) and I recently went back to work. The temperature here in Louisville, KY where I live is up and down, it's been freezing lately...last week my orange engine light kicked on, so I ran to Autozone and got a scan. It said that O2 sensors 1 and 2 were running rich. The light kicked off again a day later, so I was hoping for a bad read or something.

Today it kicked on again, so I took it to a Firestone here in town, and they ran a diagnostic and said two of the O2 sensors were bad and the other two were acting strange. They wanted to replace all four sensors for $1600. I laughed and paid for the diagnostic, brought it home. My buddy is a Lexus certified mechanic and has worked on these cars, he said that sometimes one bad O2 sensor can cause the other ones to act screwy. We are looking at it on Monday, I saw the other thread here that quoted the prices for the sensors at like $50-$60..

My question, has anyone here changed the sensors, and are they all available to be worked on without a lift? Is it a matter of simply snapping in new sensors, or does it involve a bunch of wiresplicing?

Also, does anyone have any idea why four sensors would all go bad at the same time? Once repaired, will these sensors be a constant issue or is it a permanent fix (permanent in the sense that they won't go bad every winter, I mean)?

Lastly, does anyone know of a place to download the service manual for either free or cheap?

Thanks much for any response, I am really kind of amazed that a Lexus is having this issue, it only has like 65,000 miles and it runs great.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Reactions: Squareback
1 - 4 of 4 Posts