Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Of course, Lexus uses good stuff in its IS 300, but falters, I think, in matters of taste: the Ferrari-like chrome ball shifter, the drilled aluminum thresholds and pedals, the overwrought chronograph dials. The IS 300 seems to be straining to make a point, to be seen as a sport sedan worthy of challenging the BMW 330i. The C-Class, with its lapidary elegance, seems to ignore the presence of BMW's benchmark altogether. In this way, the Mercedes has a certain hauteur that I like quite a lot."

Too bad C320 costs $42,515 fully loaded.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by PMD911:
"Of course, Lexus uses good stuff in its IS 300, but falters, I think, in matters of taste: the Ferrari-like chrome ball shifter, the drilled aluminum thresholds and pedals, the overwrought chronograph dials. The IS 300 seems to be straining to make a point, to be seen as a sport sedan worthy of challenging the BMW 330i. The C-Class, with its lapidary elegance, seems to ignore the presence of BMW's benchmark altogether. In this way, the Mercedes has a certain hauteur that I like quite a lot."

Too bad C320 costs $42,515 fully loaded.
actually..
i test drove a C320, and it was pretty sik...
very smooth ride, nice pick-up, very well designed, overall an awesome car...
but $40k +, i dont think so..

IS for life..

late

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have to admit the mercedes is pretty nice, solid, and sleek. But again, tuning is expensive and so is the base price... add options and the one I was interested in came out to a total 46,200... ouch!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Correction, it costs about $49K fully loaded. I priced one out myself.
So the IS300 (which currently is selling for about $31K - fully loaded), is one heck of a deal.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
there are too many asshole journalists these days. what he wrote up there was just a matter of opinion. how is the shift knob, drilled aluminum pedals, and chronograph style speedometer straining to make a point of challenging a bmw? i think that is all inovation, style and creativity, something the authors lacks to state. if the mercedes styling is different and "ignoring" the bmw's benchmark, wouldnt that go the same for lexus IS's since its "different" also? what an idiot, we got too many damn stupid journalists these days.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Who really reads the newspaper for the car reviews anyway? I'd rather read Motor Trend! j/k.

Aren't newspapers usually written at the 6th grade level to cover the widest audience possible?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is it me or the MB-C&S series looks a lot like the Dodge Intrepid? It seems to me that MB is doing toChrysler what BMW did to Rover..Milking it for whatever is worth and the dump it !:

------------------
Silver,Graphite, Black
Fully Loaded

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, as an IS owner, I think it's good for him to voice his opinion. Just a few months ago I read an article in the Times that said just the opposite. To each his own. From a devil's advocate stand point all of us IS owners know if he would have raved about how great the IS is, we'd be pointing that out using it in arguments in this forum. You have to take the good with the bad. Most people who are old school Lexus fans may not like the IS because it's too different. It's not what they're use to when compared to traditional Lexus luxury. Then there are just some people who are Lexus haters. With all that being said I still feel Lexus did an incredible job with this design. It's easy to sit back and let another car company take all of the chances with a design, then if it works you copy it and correct any consumer complaints and play it like you're all that. But to go out there and test the waters yourself takes guts and everytime I drive my car I know I'm driving something with guts!!!!!

------------------

·
Registered
759 Posts
I love when magazines make like a car is so much better because it is .2 seconds faster 0-60 or in the quarter mile...

------------------
98 Accord EX V6 coupe
AEM Intake, Comptech Headers, Random Tech high-flow cat, GReddy dual MX exhaust, BLTI Carbon Fiber Ignition cables, eibach springs, Axis wheels with Nittos, Wings West Spoiler.
15.1 @ 92 mph
2001 Lexus IS300 (Solar Yellow)
Coming soon: 12 second timeslips with the IS (my new all out drag car!)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Back in July (or June) CAR magazine dis a comparo of the IS200 and C-class. They felt the interior materials used in the IS was of a higher calibre than the c-class. Guess it just goes to show everyone has different tastes (or different sources of income... wink, wink)

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I remember an article in CAR magazine talking about how crappy americans cars are.

a month later car & driver (or road and track .. can't remember) start giving crap to CAR magazine about how nice american cars are and xxx. and they went on to saying how much British cars suck.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Though I drive a Lexus as my daily I suppose I am the resident Mercedes Natzi Patrolman. With that said, your post reeks of ignorance and makes zero sense other than your exterior styling gripe. Get educated, please.

Originally posted by Taino:
Is it me or the MB-C series looks a lot like the Dodge Intrepid? It seems to me that MB is doing toChrysler what BMW did to Rover..Milking it for whatever is worth and the dump it !:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I agree with you that you must take the good with the bad. More than anything i'm surprised someone actually posted a negative review on the IS300. But as for myself and plenty of people I know would say that the IS300 design isn't anything groundbreaking. Certainly nothing that hasn't been done before. Ground breaking to me would be that god awful excuse for an SUV called the Pontiac Aztec. Wreched. While the IS300's looks are subjective to alot of people, agressive looking it is. Really the only claim to fame on the car is going to be the rear lights.

Originally posted by 4yoazz:
Well, as an IS owner, I think it's good for him to voice his opinion. Just a few months ago I read an article in the Times that said just the opposite. To each his own. From a devil's advocate stand point all of us IS owners know if he would have raved about how great the IS is, we'd be pointing that out using it in arguments in this forum. You have to take the good with the bad. Most people who are old school Lexus fans may not like the IS because it's too different. It's not what they're use to when compared to traditional Lexus luxury. Then there are just some people who are Lexus haters. With all that being said I still feel Lexus did an incredible job with this design. It's easy to sit back and let another car company take all of the chances with a design, then if it works you copy it and correct any consumer complaints and play it like you're all that. But to go out there and test the waters yourself takes guts and everytime I drive my car I know I'm driving something with guts!!!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree to a certain extent. I think its claim to fame will be the gauge cluster. Although, I've heard people gripe, they've done the same for the tail lights. The main problem the IS is people don't know what they want? I say this because as I and another article someone posted here regarding the IS. It's probably the only true sports sedan out there. Think about it, some other cars may have better straight line speed but other car manufacturers have swayed from performance to luxury first then give me some performance with alot of HP and that's why the prices are getting more and more ridiculous and that's why you see so many comparisions. IS vs TL. TL vs 330 vs
CL-S etc. The IS is really caught between a rock and a hard place to a certain extent. Lexus did what they wanted to do with this car. The problem is if they listen to its critics they'll have traditional Lexus luxury along with more hp in the IS which would become a direct competitor of its own ES 300. So which way do you go?

------------------

·
Registered
818 Posts
Good points. Remember too that the IS is new here. Given a chance, and time to grow, it will create an audience.

Justy
99 328i

Originally posted by 4yoazz:
I agree to a certain extent. I think its claim to fame will be the gauge cluster. Although, I've heard people gripe, they've done the same for the tail lights. The main problem the IS is people don't know what they want? I say this because as I and another article someone posted here regarding the IS. It's probably the only true sports sedan out there. Think about it, some other cars may have better straight line speed but other car manufacturers have swayed from performance to luxury first then give me some performance with alot of HP and that's why the prices are getting more and more ridiculous and that's why you see so many comparisions. IS vs TL. TL vs 330 vs
CL-S etc. The IS is really caught between a rock and a hard place to a certain extent. Lexus did what they wanted to do with this car. The problem is if they listen to its critics they'll have traditional Lexus luxury along with more hp in the IS which would become a direct competitor of its own ES 300. So which way do you go?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Although I seldom reply to idiots like you. The Exterior styling was exactly my point. I guess the Texan sun fried whatever you had for a brain, if you had one to begin
with
Originally posted by brad:
Though I drive a Lexus as my daily I suppose I am the resident Mercedes Natzi Patrolman. With that said, your post reeks of ignorance and makes zero sense other than your exterior styling gripe. Get educated, please.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Just as a point of interest, I have been in the process of negotiating my way out of a lease on a Mercedes Benz so that I can turn around and buy a Lexus, if I am so motivated to lose a Benz you gotta know there is something very wrong. You'd be stupid to unload 42+ for that car, there is no where near a 10K plus benefit with the Mercedes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts