Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that I have my new IS, any recommendations on how to care for it.
1.Exterior care- what kind of wax is best?
2.Interior - Armor All the dash?
3.Motor oil- synthetic?

Any comments greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Ick, don't Armor All the dash. It will make it feel oily (it felt oily to me when tried it once to see how it would turn out), plus Armor All tends to attract dust easily.

For the leather surfaces, go with Lexol pH cleaner and conditioner (two separate bottles). http://www.lexol.com

[This message has been edited by JW (edited July 08, 2000).]

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Ditton on the no Armor All advice, it also makes the inside of your windshield haze up.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

·
Registered
202 Posts
1. Best wax (and one of the most expensive) is Zaino (www.zainobros.com). Works wonders though!

2. Use Lexol as another person prescribed, or EAgle One cleaner and conditioner. You need both otherwise it will dry out the leather.

3. I suscribe to Mobile 1 synthetic religiously. It's the best stuff / price you can get out there, next to the real racing oils (Redline, etc).

Originally posted by ISisBEST:
that I have my new IS, any recommendations on how to care for it.
1.Exterior care- what kind of wax is best?
2.Interior - Armor All the dash?
3.Motor oil- synthetic?

Any comments greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
Note on the synthetic oil advice: Lexus saids it's okay to use synthetic oil, but if you do use it, don't switch back to regular oil. It's probably NOT a good idea to use synthetic during the break in period.

--k

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
just curious why synthetic is bad for a car during breakin period. I've always used synthetic and i credit some of my current car's longivity to mobil-1 .. i was told synthetic all the way!

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
There is nothing wrong with synthetic during break in. Many cars on the road, including Benzes, Porches, etc come with Mobil One from the factory. It _may_ have _used_ to be an issue in the olden days of cars, but it certainly isn't now.

However, the part about not switching to synthetic (if you weren't already running synthetic) after 75k miles or so has some validity. Synthetic can get to (and through) places that regular oil can't.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

·
Registered
994 Posts
Tony,

Usually, the recommended oil change interval for synthetic is about twice as long as regular oil. Do you recommend doing it at the regular intervals ?

--k

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
what kind of soap?
does it matter?
chamois and 100% cotton right?
maybe bottles of evian? hahaha
damn rims get dirty fast, i need to take it easy on the brakes...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Synthetic oils have a higher flash point and wear volatility as opposed to standard dyno oil, making them a great alternative especially for high performing vehicles. But just like dyno oil, they can get polluted easily. You can conceivably run longer intervals between an oil changes, but you MUST change your oil filter to get out as much contaminants as possible.

Originally posted by chiem:

Tony,

Usually, the recommended oil change interval for synthetic is about twice as long as regular oil. Do you recommend doing it at the regular intervals ?

--k

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, DonVito.....just don't stop...

Originally posted by DonCorleone:
what kind of soap?
does it matter?
chamois and 100% cotton right?
maybe bottles of evian? hahaha
damn rims get dirty fast, i need to take it easy on the brakes...

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
On Trucks! they recommended not using synthetics during the break in period. About waxing, isn't synthetic supposed to be tougher? I like Klasse-I have only used their All In One, but that thing is great stuff. They also make leather cleaner/conditioner that doesn't cause the interior glass film, wheel cleaner, and a high gloss sealant. The All In One is the best stuff I've ever used. My cousin bought a used 200SX several years ago and it was f'd up. I just rubbed like hell and all the waterspots and stuff all came off. I had to bust my ass though. Using a buffer would make a cleaning job like that much easier, but I had to do it by hand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts