Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys post in this forum, from the crappy leather to the E-Shift changing by itself. Somebody made the comment about why people sell the IS so soon. The matter of the fact is that I like the car and can't wait to buy one and I'm planning on keeping it for years. But with all these problems I might think twice

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I have had no problems with my IS so far, the problems may only consern the earlier IS's but I think they have worked out the problems. As for the leather, if you take care of it it should be ok, I have no experience with other car leathers, but I think the IS interior is BAD! My uncle has a Mustang with leather, 2 yrs old, and that thing looks crappy, the leather is cracking and looks like sh*t. It is your choice, I would not trade my IS in for small reasons like that, the car in overall outweighs the problems that others are having with theirs.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
it might work better if you get full leather option. But here's a test for the new seat before you buy it. Sit side way on the with your legs out the door for 3-5 mins with your foot on the ground.

Now get up and see if permanent wrinkles were generated.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I am wondering if i am the only one with the leather on the steering wheel peeling. That is the only problem i have had with my car. Got it replaced under warranty this weekend (those bastards put my wheel on crooked so i gotta take it back in like 2 weeks) so it all good now.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
First of all remember that people are going to bitch about any problem they have more frequently and more often than when they don't have any problems. Noone posts here to say, "Hey, I just drove the IS300 all week and nothing went wrong". That's the way we assume things will be.

Now, the two things you mentioned I've never heard of. The leather on the seats is not crappy by anyone's opinion that I've heard. Some people are disappointed that the seats are not FULL leather. If that's a concern for you, wait for the 2002 model. I've never heard of anyone saying the E-Shift changes by itself. Only that some early models have a (down-shifting?) hesitation that is fixed by an upcoming ECU replacement/reprogram. There are plenty of threads on that here for you to peruse.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The ECU is definitely a problem to whoever that break in their IS, including myself. I didn't the difference until I test drove my friend's IS during the weekend (he floored it right off the lot, never follow the break in rules), the car feels so different. The throttle gives me instant response, while I jump back to my own IS, there is always like 1 second hesitation before it gives you the power. That definitely sucks. I just brought my car in for 5K mi. service during the weekend, no ECU reprogram as of now in the Bay Area.

BTW, my friend breaks in the brakes too, the brake feel dramatically improves also. To be honest, I don't even know one needs to break in the brakes also until now. That's not a Lexus or IS problem for those that never know about brakes break in.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I never had a single problem with my IS until 3 weeks ago, and wouldnt you know it, it was something major. But still, its such a RARE thing to hear about a Lexus with a major problem. Even after this episode, I would still probably recommend an IS to anyone looking, because unlike most companies, Lexus is really trying to help, and theyre doing their best to resolve this issue.

In contrast, my friend with a lemoned Eclipse, that was proven to be wrecked before arriving at the dealer, has been fighting Mitsu tooth and nail for MONTHS. I cant imagine Lexus doing something like that to one of its buyers.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Regardless of the issues this year, who's to say the 2002's won't have some of their own. If you wait around for a flawless model, you'll end up being disappointed in the end.

Yes, you should buy. The prices are insane right now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, like I said I love the IS300 since the first day I saw the comercial on the TV. You always be concerned when you buy a new car, especially above the $31K
Thanks for that vote of confidence!

·
Registered
257 Posts
problems? What problems?

(saying this after having worked on/attempted to fix/sweared at many-many-many domestic and german cars owned by friends and family)

how to gauge quality in a car = the number of profanities emitted in a 30 minute interval while trying to fix and/or adjust something on a car. THAT is quality.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gripes?? Issues?? Well curbs could be shorter (or I could learn to park next to one better)....grrrrrrr......

No issues....luv it....SRT has helped throttle response (I hope it will get better when the upgrade comes out).

leather not an issue, I have had leather in lots o cars. Use common sense, keep it clean, feed it (conditioners), and be careful if you smoke (expensive to repair).

No falling out of anything on the bottom, no extra wind noise, no misc lights, no radio/CD issues no antenna issues,no "mystery gear" problems, no service problems, etc. Runs like a scalded cat!

U can't go wrong........

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I owned my IS300 for over 6 months, and absolutely loved the car. The only reason I sold it was because I'm getting a 2002 IS300M (that's manual). My Supercharged 4Runner has an Auto tranny, and I really enjoy driving a stick every once in a while. So, since Lexus is offering a Manual Tranny, full Leather seating, a Navigation System, and some other goodies, I figured I might as well sell my 2001, take a small hit, and get a 2002. But if they were not making all these changes for 2002, I'd still have my 2001. Anyways, the point is, every car has its flaws, as does the IS300. But I find Lexus quality and customer service to be superior to all others, and that's important to me. The GS and IS brought in the performance component, and that made a good combo.
My recommendation: wait for the 2002, it's only a few months away. I'm sure it's worth the wait.
Definitely fewer gripes!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Any new car is going to have minor problems. I have had many new cars and everyone of them has had something go wrong. Lexus has the BEST customer service, period! My service department bends over backwards to make me happy everytime I walk in the door. Most of us are just spoiled by the attention we get from them.

I took my wife's Expedition in for some problems, thats when you appreciate the Lexus service dept.

We bought the Lexus reputation along with a wonderful toy!

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
no probs here

·
Registered
78 Posts
a bit off topic, but the leather problem, so I just use zymel or something like that? I just got my IS last Saturday. so still enjoying every bit of it

thanks

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
You'll want to use Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner (two different bottles).

Originally posted by Petey00:
a bit off topic, but the leather problem, so I just use zymel or something like that? I just got my IS last Saturday. so still enjoying every bit of it

thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts