Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yawn, been there done that. Check out some of the old threads. premium only. Also there is a recent thread on the break in.

Geoff has provided good advice on this topic.

Back to sleep.

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by ISFAN:
Yawn, been there done that. Check out some of the old threads. premium only. Also there is a recent thread on the break in.

Back to sleep.

Pleasant dreams, before you dose off, a Lexus rep once told me the only cars that really require premium are the 8-cylinders, not the 6's. How rediculous does that sound to you?

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by Michael:

Pleasant dreams, before you dose off, a Lexus rep once told me the only cars that really require premium are the 8-cylinders, not the 6's. How rediculous does that sound to you?
way ridiculous...displacement has nothing to do with fuel reqs. compression ratio is usually the reason cited for higher octanes.

car salesmen need to be deleted

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don't know, but if you look at the gas cap it state premium only. I was told that the something with the engine requires the premium and that if you did not want to use that you would have reprogram the computer in the car. Who knows. I do not know enough about engines. I just use the premium what do I care.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

Back to sleep.
ISFAN,
ROFLMAO! You and I are following this forum too closely!

------------------
cardinal
'01 Silver/Black
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17"

·
Registered
594 Posts
Try priceline.com and get a gas card. Right now, in Southern California, I'm getting $1.59 for 92 octane. Pretty good huh?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
well...octane depends on compression ratio...my dad's old benz needs premium cause that crap is on 10.5/1 or 11.. =)

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
High compression engines usually need a higher octane gas, not V8s. My cousin's Tundra is a V8 and the manual only calls for regular gas. There is no sense in buying gas with a higher octane rating than is called for unless you are experiencing detonation (pinging). I think the reason that you were told that you would have to reprogram the computer is that octane controls the rate at which the gas burns. I think higher octane burns slower than lower. Not sure on this part, someone told me that. Try here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/mult_gas_and_oil/mult_gas_faq1.htm. I didn't read this, but it looks like this could answer a lot of questions. K den.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ugh, What's up with you? This was covered in another post -thought you read them all...

ROFLMAO = Rolling on the Floor Laughing my A$$ off

------------------
cardinal
'01 Silver/Black
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17"

·
Registered
626 Posts
Man I knew I would get once you said it. I saw that yesterday. AHHHHHH I could kick myself for not getting that.

But hey your right. I am adicted to this forum. My wife is kicking me in the ass for being on the computer all the time. What is your's doing?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Man I knew I would get once you said it. I saw that yesterday. AHHHHHH I could kick myself for not getting that.

But hey your right. I am adicted to this forum. My wife is kicking me in the ass for being on the computer all the time. What is your's doing?
She's made a few wisecracks - like "You're on that Lexus thing again? All you guys are a bunch of [email protected]@s with your cars."

------------------
cardinal
'01 Silver/Black
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17"

[This message has been edited by cardinal_creek (edited September 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
626 Posts
Originally posted by cardinal_creek:
She's made a few wisecracks - like "You're on that Lexus thing again? All you guys are a bunch of [email protected]@s with your cars."

If only she new about the p^rn sites.

That's just a joke!

I can relate to that. Hey it's fun. Hey, I let her drive the car for the second time tonight. She went out with one of her girley friends. She said when she was heading back to the car a 19 year old guy stopped her and was asking a bunch of questions. Poor her, she knew nothing about the car. Just said it was nice but it is my husbands.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Why would you NOT want to put 93octane gas in ur IS? I only put "regular (87) in my Chevy 350 V8. Those older engines are made for that kinda stuff. I noticed the sluggishness and poor fuel economy when putting regular in newer ECU controlled cars. MY RX7 ran terrible after I modified the exhaust & intake on 87o. I thought HKS was BSing me about the premium fuel warning. but they were right? The car ran like day and night when i switched back to the premium fuel. So despite rising fuel costs I stuck with it. I recommend you put the best fuel you can afford in your IS. It will be the best thing for you in the long run. Lexus dealers are very limited in their knowledge. They just too used to pulling the wool over affluent eyes.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Race gas contains lead, which will destroy your cat converters. So I would suggest that you take off the cats before you put race gas in the car.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
This is from the FAQ link which I posted earlier, but for some reason isn't working...(???)
---------------------------------------------
On modern engines with sophisticated engine management systems, the engine
can operate efficiently on fuels of a wider range of octane rating, but there
remains an optimum octane for the engine under specific driving conditions.
Older cars without such systems are more restricted in their choice of fuel,
as the engine can not automatically adjust to accommodate lower octane fuel.
Because knock is so destructive, owners of older cars must use fuel that will
not knock under the most demanding conditions they encounter, and must
continue to use that fuel, even if they only occasionally require the octane.

If you are already using the proper octane fuel, you will not obtain more
power from higher octane fuels. The engine will be already operating at
optimum settings, and a higher octane should have no effect on the management
system. Your driveability and fuel economy will remain the same. The higher
octane fuel costs more, so you are just throwing money away. If you are
already using a fuel with an octane rating slightly below the optimum, then
using a higher octane fuel will cause the engine management system to move to
the optimum settings, possibly resulting in both increased power and improved
fuel economy. You may be able to change octanes between seasons ( reduce
octane in winter ) to obtain the most cost-effective fuel without loss of
driveability.

Once you have identified the fuel that keeps the engine at optimum settings,
there is no advantage in moving to an even higher octane fuel. The
manufacturer's recommendation is conservative, so you may be able to
carefully reduce the fuel octane. The penalty for getting it badly wrong,
and not realising that you have, could be expensive engine damage.

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by HIBBoyScott:
This is from the FAQ link which I posted earlier, but for some reason isn't working...(???)
Does anyone know if engines, specifically the IS's can be reprogrammed to efficiently get buy on mid-grade octane or even 87 octane? Just curious if anyone would be able to alternate premium with mid or regular grades on fill-ups.

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by HIBBoyScott:
Does anyone know if engines, specifically the IS's can be reprogrammed to efficiently get by on mid-grade octane or even 87 octane? Just curious if anyone would be able to alternate premium with mid or regular grades on fill-ups.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts