Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have an aftermarket torque converter - possibly dependent on presence of F/I.

This is an issue I've encountered with my car: Turbo Automatic 2001, Percision Industries Torque Converter and shift kit.

I've had mine for over 30k miles and its been functioning great 45k total miles - lately its been making an increasing amount of chatter - I've chalked it up to the plates. I've dropped the trans out to replace the front seal (which had developed a leak due to the use of an electronic shift kit and converter)
I dropped it yesterday - and here's what I've discovered.
It was installed using the same stock bushing - the bushing was wearing away and had started to eat the snub off the torque converter. Another 500 miles and I would be buying a new torque converter. possibly a bad install - or normal wear and tear due to F/I.

Change the bushing - get a new one when you install your torque converter. Or if your chattering gets real obnoxious and you think its an issue - get it checked out.. dont let anyone tell you its normal.

no big deal - thought I'd bring it up.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
this is great info! thanks for sharing!

Now, a question. Did you take out the trans yourself? if so, did you have the aid of a lift? It's my under standing that in order to get to the top bellhousing bolts, you have to either pull the motor/trans as a whole if you're on jackstands, or use a loooong ass extension if you're under a lift.

ANy insight would be great! thanks!

Kane

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Hey Kane,
I have talked to several people about "our" little dilemma :lol: Cariza and some other people also said they had no problem gettin' the tranny dropped. They said no motor moving is required. :) Also, on that bushing. I called Carson Toyota and they said it comes as a whole. You want that bushing, you gotta buy the pump also. Sucks, but nothing you can do. :-? Hope this helps.

~Chad

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I had mine installed at SRT so I've not had any problems for nearly three years. I would have suggested calling one of the tuners such as Mo or any that sell a TC and ask them. But it looks like someone already has. 8)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont know.. about buying it as a whole.
I was able to buy the bushing and seal kit separately..have you tried calling other places than carson?

Kane: yea, no motor dropping is required - just get up in there with a universal..no big issue..however, I had the aid of a lift and transmission lift as well.

Some people might not have had a problem such as this - however - i know of several people that have electronic shift kits - that have sprung leaks - it was fixing this leak that I've discovered the bushing issue..this bushing issue might have arose from the load from F/I or the increased pressure from the shift kit - the converter itself - or who knows..theres 3 variables any one of them might be an issue...you're better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
:chill: good point apoji!!

:x Damn, I shouldn't have said anything, now I probably jinxed myself. Two days from now I will be talking about my busted converter or something. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
That's my dilemma, is that anyone I've talked to that's removed the tranny without moving the motor has done it on a lift, not on jackstands. I don't know any body with a lift that I could use, and I sure as hell don't want to pay some idiot monkey to do it at a shop. I don't trust mechanics at all, especially for the prices they charge.

When we pulled the engine on the race car, we had to remmover the tranny with the engine as a whole, because it was damn near impposible to get the motor separated from the tranny when the car was on jackstands, mainly due to those two top bell housing bolts. What a PITA!!

OH well, I look into some more.

Kane

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lilaznboi said:
I have an ESK...am i gonna get a leak too? :(
Do you have an aftermarket torque converter? or stock torque converter?

if you're on stock torque converter..chances are you WONT - and you can disregard this post.

but if youre aftermarket and have a shift kit- the pressure might be too great for the pump seal

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
apoji187 said:
lilaznboi said:
I have an ESK...am i gonna get a leak too? :(
Do you have an aftermarket torque converter? or stock torque converter?

if you're on stock torque converter..chances are you WONT - and you can disregard this post.

but if youre aftermarket and have a shift kit- the pressure might be too great for the pump seal

hmmm when I talked to larry at SP about the rattling noise and also to the ppl at PI they said that the rattling at idle(low rpms) is from the multi plate TC and it is normal...hmmmm

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The chattering is normal..the plates are always going to make that noise regardless..well..chattering when they float.

mine was making some unusual noises aside from chattering..

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was getting some rattle noise between 30-45 at constant tps - it sounded almost like valve knock, but it didnt seem like it was coming from the engine bay.almost directly underneath/passenger side of the car.

I had the leak pretty bad - so I assumed it had to do with the pump or the converter.
Now that I've replaced the bushing - I dont get that knock anymore
just the good ole rattle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts