Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if you guys have seen the new redesigned Toyota Previa, remember that bullet train looking minivan? It's redesigned, it looks very nice, much better looking than a Sienna. (This is just personal feeling, no offense to Sienna owners). It looks very sporty. Quite luxurious too, might be more luxurious than our IS. =) It has xenon lights, and stuff like that. I believe, I might be wrong, it carries the same I6 engine 215-hp as our IS. Sound exciting for a minivan, huh?

Toyota is already confirmed (sort of) that they won't have the new Previa in the states. I think Lexus should!! Since it has already done it with Altezza. A luxury minivan, isn't that a special market segment? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
354 Posts
"A Lexus SUV? No way!"
That's what they were saying just a few years ago. Then along came the RX-300, which last year outsold all other cars in the Lexus lineup - combined!
If Lexus can market a "luxo SUV," why not a luxury minivan, too.
I say, bring it on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Leader, agree man!! That's my feeling. Lexus can start a whole new trend, instead of following the crowd. It's about time to break out. Everyone knows it's about the end of the SUV hype. I think the next up and coming trend is station wagon and minivan, but absolutely not the traditional looking minivan.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Originally posted by cyclops:
I don't know if you guys have seen the new redesigned Toyota Previa, remember that bullet train looking minivan? It's redesigned, it looks very nice, much better looking than a Sienna. (This is just personal feeling, no offense to Sienna owners). It looks very sporty. Quite luxurious too, might be more luxurious than our IS. =) It has xenon lights, and stuff like that. I believe, I might be wrong, it carries the same I6 engine 215-hp as our IS. Sound exciting for a minivan, huh?

Toyota is already confirmed (sort of) that they won't have the new Previa in the states. I think Lexus should!! Since it has already done it with Altezza. A luxury minivan, isn't that a special market segment? What do you guys think?
It's not the I6 -- it's the 1MZ-FE found in ES300 and other Toyota brand vehicles.

The van is called Estima in Japan. Nice, and they finally did away from having the engine sitting below the passenger seat and moved it to the front. Not sure of the dimensions, but if it's bigger than a Sienna... why not a Lexus minivan?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Cyclops, you're on to something. And I think Lexus has a really good eye for the future, which makes the "wagon" version of the IS300 sound like a step in that direction.
I think - and this is just a hunch - that the SUV thing is playing itself out (albeit slowly) and the next "in thing" will be a combo wagon/mini van vehicle.
Two examples: the PT Cruiser (only it needs more horses) and the Aztec (only it needs a major facial).
Lexus wouldn't be bringing a wagon version of our car to market if they didn't think it would sell.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I remember something about the Previa having the worst offset crash test results ever... that may be another reason that Toyota is hesitant to bring it to the states.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I say Lexus should go for it! They had succes with the RX300 why not a mini van? Speecially with a 215 hp motor. That would be cool!

·
Registered
138 Posts
i know im not the only one,but i personally dotn like wagon-types(how they look). like the IS wagon picture..of the bmws... i dunno. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A love or hate it design, isn't it?! And you guys know, I love it. It's a cool looking van. I'm not a wagon fan too, if I go for a bigger car, I'll want a minivan. But all the minivans we have in the states are bored, exterior wise or performance wise. The new Estima or Previa will be way cool!!! All you Lexus execs, if you happen to come in, take our idea man!!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
In Australia, that is the "Tarago Ultima Wagon"

http://www.toyota.com.au/showroom/specifications/main.asp?VersionID=1713&VersionID_2=&imgVersionID=1713# http://www.toyota.com.au/showroom/main.asp?versionid=1713

Engine

Name
2AZ-FE
Engine capacity (cc)
Engine type
PFI
Engine description
4cyl/DOHC/4v
Maximum Power (kW)
115kW @ 5600rp
Maximum Torque (Nm)
221Nm @ 4000rp
Number of cylinders
4cyl
Configuration
In-line
Valve train
DOHC
Valves per cylinder
4v
Variable valve timing
STD
Fuel system
Electronic port
Fuel type
91 RON ULP
Bore x Stroke (mm)
88.5x96.0mm
Compression Ratio :)1)
9.6:1
Fuel economy - City cycle
Battery
12V,36Ah
Alternator
14V/100Amp
Ignition system
Electronic

·
Registered
112 Posts
If Mercedes-Benz makes Minivans, too, why not Lexus??? I don't see anything wrong with a Luxury MPV(Or Minivan, if that matters).

That would be very interesting to see though as Mercedes is planning on bring the V-Class(YES, it's a VAN)to North America in 2003, which will share the same chassis with the next gen. M-Class

------------------
Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

http://akry.homestead.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
MAYBE I'M WRONG BUT THAT VAN DOSEN'T LOOK LIKE SOMETHING LEXUS WOULD SELL. I THINK THEY WOULD HAVE A TOUGH TIME SELLING THAT VAN AS A LEXUS ESPECIALLY IF IT CARRIED A LEXUS PRICE TAG.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts