Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like a lot of people like the new IS that is coming out, but I'm really not feeling it. It seems they raised the body lines on the sides which makes the doors look huge and make the window openings really small. And the back roofline is really flat as it connects to the trunk. I noticed a lot of manufacturers are taking this approach to newer cars. I guess it makes the car look more sleek and its aerodynamically better, but I don't really like it. I guess I always liked the slightly "straight-edged" look. Just my opinion, does anyone else feel the same way? Also, it looks like the IS250 will be slower than the current IS300, and the IS350 is not available in stick. What's up with that?

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
stogie said:
It seems like a lot of people like the new IS that is coming out, but I'm really not feeling it. It seems they raised the body lines on the sides which makes the doors look huge and make the window openings really small. And the back roofline is really flat as it connects to the trunk. I noticed a lot of manufacturers are taking this approach to newer cars. I guess it makes the car look more sleek and its aerodynamically better, but I don't really like it. I guess I always liked the slightly "straight-edged" look. Just my opinion, does anyone else feel the same way? Also, it looks like the IS250 will be slower than the current IS300, and the IS350 is not available in stick. What's up with that?

Can we say 1st model year?

Come on give them time to get all the bugs exposed and worked out

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Was looking forward to it until I actually read something about it. IS250 with 204hp? F that. I know, its the "New" hp rating. Bagh!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Even though the new IS might look better in person, I doubt it'll look as good as the current IS because of the lines and straight edge looks. The newer models look "rounder" probably because it's designed to be more aerodynamic. There are already pictures posted by members having the current ISs and new ISs side by side. The new IS looked like crap next to the current ISs. Some may argue it's because those current ISs are modded, but I really don't see how one can mod the new IS and make it look as good as the current ones. I hope the coupe will look better.

Same with the new BMW 3series, I think the E46 looks way better than E90. My brother got a new E90 330i. It rides nicely, but that doesn't change the fact that it's ugly.

·
Registered
556 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
This is what I think.... If you are a tuner, the new IS might not really be your taste. Did you guys see the picture of the engine bay? it is completely covered with plastic. Fine maybe you can take it off. What I've read from Modified Mag, all the new cars that are coming out will be equipped with extremely smart ECU. Even tapping it with an E-manage or SAFC won't do anything. The ECU will know that it is being tapped into. Also, bolt on performance parts will not work. For example, lets say I install an intake which gives the car +10whp, the ECU will detect that and make adjustments to make it back to +0whp. Conclusion: No gain at all. The reason for this is that car manufacturers does not like their cars to get modded. You might ask why, it is because it hurts their reliabilty. So after a 18 year old modify their car, and the car breaks, who's fault is it? the kid or the car manufacturer? People will say, the car manufacturer. also, let me advise people that are planning to change their cars, moving from an IS300 to an IS350. Our engines are turbo proven, meaning that we can modify it up to +450 whp or more. That is because we have a beautiful engine with a sister engine being the Supra engine and we can just swap internals. Where is this 350 engine coming from??? How good is it to boost? Can it be boosted at all? If you guys want the Modified magazine article, you can get it at the newstand.

·
Registered
102 Posts
that ngc ecu has been put into the 2005s of most of dodge and chrysler now
you can modify the engine but the ecu will detune your ass back to stock numbers

·
Registered
66 Posts
stogie said:

I totally understand how you feel.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
osmosis said:
This is what I think.... If you are a tuner, the new IS might not really be your taste. Did you guys see the picture of the engine bay? it is completely covered with plastic. Fine maybe you can take it off. What I've read from Modified Mag, all the new cars that are coming out will be equipped with extremely smart ECU. Even tapping it with an E-manage or SAFC won't do anything. The ECU will know that it is being tapped into. Also, bolt on performance parts will not work. For example, lets say I install an intake which gives the car +10whp, the ECU will detect that and make adjustments to make it back to +0whp. Conclusion: No gain at all. The reason for this is that car manufacturers does not like their cars to get modded. You might ask why, it is because it hurts their reliabilty. So after a 18 year old modify their car, and the car breaks, who's fault is it? the kid or the car manufacturer? People will say, the car manufacturer. also, let me advise people that are planning to change their cars, moving from an IS300 to an IS350. Our engines are turbo proven, meaning that we can modify it up to +450 whp or more. That is because we have a beautiful engine with a sister engine being the Supra engine and we can just swap internals. Where is this 350 engine coming from??? How good is it to boost? Can it be boosted at all? If you guys want the Modified magazine article, you can get it at the newstand.
Thats scary!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
But is it not a possibility to completly replace the ecu?

I seriously doubt that lexus, or anyone, will be able to stop the aftermarket industry from making cars tuneable.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
same. i like the the current is300 =}

1 - 20 of 30 Posts