Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a set of Motegi DP10s in 18" x 7.5, with 215/35/18 Essenza tires from www.rim1.com. The package was a great price, and I'm happy with the style and hyper-black finish.

My discontent is with the way the 18s fill my wheel well, or lack thereof. I expected my "gap" to be filled up (btw, I'm stock height).

Unfortunatly, the DP10 jumps from 18" to 20" in wheel size, any suggestions? Change to 215/40/18 tires? Drop the ride 1"-2" with coils or coil-overs?

Anybody out there with a set of 215/40/18 tires or 19" rims/tires wanting to trade? wb

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the tires? 35 series look like bandaids on the wheels --- I guess that's what I get for buying something online... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yeah, 35s run the risk of rim damage, I put 40s on mine. I would go with some S-techs or Eibachs as far as springs go unless you wanted to go with a coilover setup. I had the same problem when I put my 18's on but then I put some H-techs on and have a 1 finger gap now. I love the look. It sounds like you might want a little more drop than the H-Techs hence my suggestions.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
you aren't going to fill the wheel well if you put 19"s on anyway without dropping it. It would make it look like a monster truck. Pick up the Hotchkis lowering springs that are on sale here for $120 shipped. That should take care of that wheel gap :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everbody for your advice --- it is very appreciated.

That kit sold on this site looks like a good deal... except the rear is dropped only an inch, which is where the gap is the worst. Is there a good (and cheap) kit out there that drops the rear 2" and the front 1.5"????

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
first, drop the car. second, try 225/40 in front, and 245/35 or 245/40 in rear.

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for Tein S-Tech springs.

also, i would ditch the 215/35 series tires and go with 225/40 instead :approve:

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
WAYNEBO said:
Thanks everbody for your advice --- it is very appreciated.

That kit sold on this site looks like a good deal... except the rear is dropped only an inch, which is where the gap is the worst. Is there a good (and cheap) kit out there that drops the rear 2" and the front 1.5"????

if you want to see pics of my car with 18's dropped on tein stechs, try www.elusivemedia.com msm is300 with black rims. 18 x 8.5 in front with 225/40 tires, 18 x 9.5 in rear with 255/35 tires. and soon to be 275/35 tires in rear

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do I post pics on this thread?

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Hey Wayne, I know you got a nice ride ;) I think if you get a 225/40/18 tire, it'll look a lot better. Depending on your width, you could even go a 235 tire.

To post pics, you can attach them, or you can upload them to another website and then link them using the "Go Advanced" button.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the props ChrisCarlos!!!

Hopefully, here is pics of the ride with the new Motegis....

Since I put these on already, www.rim1.com won't take back the tires --- understandable. So it is what it is until I wear these out... which shouldn't be too long from now. ;)

Attachments

Reactions: chrisCARL0S

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I honestly think they look really good. I say get some Eibachs if you want to drop it an inch, or some S-Techs for something lower. It'll make it 100x better.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Just get lowering springs if you cant bare looking at ur car like that. There is no way 18's will close ur gap....maybe if you go with a 55 series tire it will lol. My 19's closed the gap a little but it is still there. Just go have some fun and do some burn outs hahha.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input!!

I feel a bit redeemed that 19s wouldn't have helped much better... no more buyer's remorse.

I'll opt for the springs. wb

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
I just read your first post and if you state you have an 18x7.5 wheel all around I suppose, then just go with a 225/40 all around then, you wouldn't need a staggered tire setup.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanx for the advice --- is 225/40/18 too wide of a track for the front?

Here is a close-up pic of the rim. I'm not happy with how brittle the finish is either... I've noticed a chip and I havn't owned the rims more than a week! So a warning out to the .net community, stay away from the Motegi hyper-black --- or maybe the brand altogether YMMV.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pic of the rim...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
damn, my car looked just like yours when I put my Lsportline bumper on...(front)
now i'm back to my other set-up of RMM front lip with the same sides and rear you have. similar spoiler, and same color car. I think I have a twin :lol:

minus the wheels of course... :)

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
maannn your car is SWEET! just gotta touch up on the caliper paint and front bumper, and ur good! =]

thanks man, cool guy wit clean lookin ride

-Aaron

1 - 20 of 22 Posts