Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Sounds to me its a solenoid. no sure if your familiar with mechanical stuff but you can take test each solenoid individual to see wich one is clicking and wich one is not.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
If you'd be willing to give me a quick tutorial on how to test the solenoids that would be awesome

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thhe solenoids should read 11-15 ohms @68*F. One side of the coil is grounded so the solenoids (S1-S3, SLU, SLD) are fed with one wire. There is a whole bank of codes for the automatic transmission and you should really download the diagnostic manual and FSM from the stickies (threads in blue) in the Gen. Disc. forum. Here is also a book just on our transmission that may also help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s28enzg0ganbb18/A-650E.pdf

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have all the fsm and diagnostic pdfs as well as alldata. The reason I am so confused is because I don't have any codes on my scanner that refer to my valve body. Given it is possible that my scanner is unable to read issues with my valve body solenoids.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
It almost sounds like the torque converter is not locking up mechanically. So the only code that was active was P0500, have you checked the speed sensor to verify it's OK and seated tight? The diagnostic troubleshooting starts on page #471 for P0500.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
It sounds like a lock up problem mechanically with the transmission, if there was slip or an electrical open you would have a CEL(good idea to scan even if no CEL for pending). I'm sorry but it's safe to say if you have the proper level(checking when running in park) and the fluid is good plus no DTC's, then I would probably go get a diagnosis. I have Pm'd you with some info. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sorry i know this is an old thread, but im having the same issue right now. I was driving on the freeway at about 60-70mph and all of a sudden im no longer able to accelerate. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off and turned it back on after trying different gears and everything. When i started it back up i was able to get it a little ways further on the freeway until it lost gears again. i did the same thing as the first time and got off the freeway at the exit i was needing to get to anyways. i stopped on the side of the road on a hill and i tried to get the car to move someplace safer but the car would barely move a snails pace at pretty much max rpm and then gave out after a few seconds. i dont know much about cars since this is my first car and plan to learn as much as i can about the car. I do have a check engine light which when i had it checked out the week or so prior and it was showing that a catalytic converter is bad. I have yet to check for any new codes since then, since i dont have my own equipment to do so. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
sorry i know this is an old thread, but im having the same issue right now. I was driving on the freeway at about 60-70mph and all of a sudden im no longer able to accelerate. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off and turned it back on after trying different gears and everything. When i started it back up i was able to get it a little ways further on the freeway until it lost gears again. i did the same thing as the first time and got off the freeway at the exit i was needing to get to anyways. i stopped on the side of the road on a hill and i tried to get the car to move someplace safer but the car would barely move a snails pace at pretty much max rpm and then gave out after a few seconds. i dont know much about cars since this is my first car and plan to learn as much as i can about the car. I do have a check engine light which when i had it checked out the week or so prior and it was showing that a catalytic converter is bad. I have yet to check for any new codes since then, since i dont have my own equipment to do so. any help would be appreciated.
Replace your cats or put a header on. Thy are clogged up. When they are hot. They flow even less.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The cats are the least of my worries right now. Getting the car to move is my first priority right now as right now it doesnt even go into gear. I can upload a video of whats happening as well.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The cats are the least of my worries right now. Getting the car to move is my first priority right now as right now it doesnt even go into gear. I can upload a video of whats happening as well.
probably a dumb question but have you checked the transmission fluid level? When was the last time it was changed?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts