Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm.. everyone just be patient with me..Im still a novice.

Here's what is happening.

Ever since I have gotten my car back from being turbo'd. Its always had a hard time cranking.. turns over fine, just doesnt get spark good.

Takes several tires of cranking before it will actually get spark and crank.
We couldnt figure this out until we tested to see when we were getting spark/when it would crank.(The whole thing with the spark plug out against metal)
Of course, you turn it over several times..no current. As soon as you see current, it cranks up.

Now, my car is throwing a p1300-random misfire code. And its fouling spark plugs quickly and badly. Um like I just put new iridums in about 4 days ago. Have only cranked the car probably 15-20 times since the new plugs. Today, it started throwing that misfire and we checked the plugs..lots of carbon.

You change plugs, the misfire goes away..

A/F seems to be okay.. 13-low14s at idle/cruise..once car warms up.

I dont really think its a fuel issue..seeing that the car automatically cranks when you see that spark.

Unless its just not getting enough fuel upon start up.BUT, we think we really see that the issue is the spark.
So I know we have an ignitor to to tell to spark. Right?

And we're thinking this cranking issue is throwing the CEL and then causing the plugs to foul, causing misfire.

Any of this make sense to ya'll?

So I was reading the old post "CEL P1300" DEFEATED". WOULD this apply to my problem or to me?
I read that post over and over..still confusion.

Of course i ahve the usualy Check engine light and traction control. As well as my gas gauge definitely drops 1/4 tank at a time.

Im running the AEM piggyback standalone

AEM Wideband EUGO (now how do I know if its internal or external) By the way its hooked into the EMS?

Also can someone touch on the subject of map sensor?

Any thoughts appreciated it. This issue is wearing my brain out! I should have gone to school for tuning and mechanics over nursing! Nursing was a piece of cake compared to this!

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
AEM's have relatively long crank periods, check your engine start ignition timing and fuel, along with yout warm up enrichment tables.

the p1300 has nothing to do with the hard start but the defeated thread does apply

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
nopers

the misfire is because you are running crazy rich somewhere along the way. has your wideband been calibrated, have you tested it to another wideband?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im assuming it was callibrated when it was tubo'd and dyno tuned.

May be its dumping too much fuel upon start up..and because of the cranking issue..

Ive yet to plug into the aem and take a look. Im scared to do this. thought i have software from the tuner.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
in my experience, make the pump prime a lil longer, i think mine was like 4 seconds. my car with aem starts right up, if anything it was like 1/2 moe than stock

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
interesting, post the map if you can, i can take a look at it. i have a map or two i can send you if you send me your setup (injector size is the big one i need)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts