Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a place to do a 2jz-gte engine/transmission swap. I live in an apartment and don't have access to a garage. I can supply tools, just don't know where to go.

If anyone from around the bay area can help or knows of a place I can do this, lemme know. Or if not, if you know of a place that can do the swap and how much they would charge, that would be helpful if I can't find the space to do it alone.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
haha if you live in socal i would let u use my garage back at school, its freaken huge. also, theres about 2-3 shops that i recently just found out that they do TT swaps for 3-4 grand for labor. you just need to provide the motor. they will do the rest.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live right next to SFSU, kinda between west portal and daly city. I haven't lived here long enough to even know what this place is called, but the address just says san francisco, which is of no use to me.

Do most storage spaces on craigslist allow you to work on shit in them? Anybody want to come hang out while I do this? I still need to get the parts and shit, I just want to try and line everything up before I'm stuck holding an engine in my living room. No idea how I'm going to smog this when I'm done but whatever. I'll swap it back in a couple of years or register it back in NY if I have to.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha if you live in socal i would let u use my garage back at school, its freaken huge. also, theres about 2-3 shops that i recently just found out that they do TT swaps for 3-4 grand for labor. you just need to provide the motor. they will do the rest.
haha damn mechanics are expensive. Admittedly thats a lot of work that needs to be done. But I actually enjoy doing it, just wish i had a place to hang and just take my car apart and stuff. Next year I'm going to move to a place that has a garage. At that time, i'd let forum members come chill and fuck with their rides. Shit, I'll even help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you got the GTE vvti motor?
Not yet. Going to buy it as soon as I can find the space to put it in. I have nowhere to store it so I can't just buy it and put it somewhere. I know where I can get one though. I used to live in japan, and I know lots of people out there who do cars.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
I have room soon, im just finishing up doing some powder coating on our project car and will be putting the tranny and motor back in soon. Once the room is there we will have space. I have all the tools also but more tools the better.

my cell
408 667 3283

Call me when u start making plans and ill see where im at.

David

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks bro. Yeah I gotta do a couple of things before this gets started.

1. Get my tools shipped here from NY (I just moved to the bay area). I got basically everything but the really big stuff (aka jacks and cherry picker).

2. Write out a parts list and then buy it all.

I'll be using my w58 mission for now, because I don't have the time or money to do all the fab and shit required to drop in anything else right now. I'm just going to drop the engine in and get it running and try to avoid driving it like i stole it until i can get a bigger diff/better tranny.

What are you working on now? You want some help? I'm pretty bored out here on the weekends and wanna make some friends who are into cars and stuff. I love to work on stuff.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I can't help much with garage space, but I am willing to lend a hand in the swap. I have build a 3SGTE for my MR2 awhile back and work on 240sx's all the time plus my own IS. Give me a call whenever this is gonna go down. 650-400-1766.

-Joe

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool dude. Yeah I'll def. Let you know. If you know of any good 240 projects let me know. I'd like to help out. I used to have an N/A s14 in Japan, and I swapped out the whole drivetrain for the turbo setup (sr20det, transmission, diff, skyline brakes, etc.) by myself.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Woo, Welcome to the Bay-Area!! I can hang out in SF during weekends,just give me a call ^^ I would love to hang around with the SF-IS guys. Also let me know when you do your swap, i would love to learn. Sorry that i am not knowladge enough to help, but would love to hang out and learn how you guys do it.
Also, i do have a garage, but it's in Davis, which is 77miles up north from SF, if you ending up have no where to do it, you can use mine. (And if you dont mine it's pretty far from SF)

Edwin (415) 812-8702

·
Registered
329 Posts
Also, in SF, in my opinon the best shop to do a swap would be "Mark III", I can try to get hook up for it since some of my friends know the owners pretty well.

·
Registered
785 Posts
You mean Mach III? I know some of those guys too. As for the 240sx help that would be appreciated since we have to transfer a whole car over soon. My best friends 240sx was totaled by some idiot last night.

-Joe

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sweet. I was assuming it was every year, because thats how they do in NY. But we dont have smog tests there, they just check your CEL, and look at your brakes. I think I'll get it smogged right before I do the swap, and then in 2 years if I cant find a place to do the smog, I'll just reg it back in NY again, because I'll be a student again shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have room soon, im just finishing up doing some powder coating on our project car and will be putting the tranny and motor back in soon. Once the room is there we will have space. I have all the tools also but more tools the better.

my cell
408 667 3283

Call me when u start making plans and ill see where im at.

David
Do you powder coat yourself? Also do you know how to smooth calipers?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts