Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not seem to get a straight answer from anybody on this so I figured I would try the boards. I have a 2002 sportscross with stock wheels, but I want to replace them. I would like to stay with 17" wheels, but am willing to go to 18" is I need to. I would like to put the same size wheel and tire on both in the front and back.
My question is, can this be done? Are there any specials things I need to make sure of with the new wheels, i.e. offsets, widths?

HELP

Duckman748

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Yes you can do it. I had it for awhile, and it is the best way to go.

I would get 18X8 or 17X8 (you could go with 7.5 width as well), with as close as +42 to +45 offset you could find. Too low of an offset it will rub the fender, to high and it will rub the suspension.

The front is the limiting factor, but you don't want to go too high of an offset, because the rear will not look filled out.

This will fit the front and rear, and would fill out the wheel wells. Then you can rotate and the car doesn't understeer as much either!

Here is my car with 18x7.5 with a +42 offset all away around.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
me too! done it for years now.

SSR GT1, 17x8, 225/45-17 all around, destaggered for rotation possibility, stock dia for ride comfort, RX300 center caps, stock ride height.

impression: 8 inch wide with 45mm offset pushes the wheels out a bit, car seems to turn better now, no rub. rear looks small compare to the front.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Rich for two camera guys we sure do love posting the same old pics over and over, huh?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,
Other than tirerack (who does not have a lot to choose from) what wheel and tire place on the web can you guys recommend

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
What kind of wheels are you looking for?

What is your price range? Do you want knockoffs or high-end "tuner" wheels like Volk?

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have chrome stock wheels and I love the way they look with my color car. I have the same color as deejaysyke.
Any ideas?
Also, the stronger the wheel the better, weight is not really a concern

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Me too, but my shiz is dirty than all get out.

I haven't waxed it in months, and I washed it for the first time in about 2 months two weekends ago.

My daughter has made a mess of the back of the passenger seat, since that is her foot rest.

ahhh the joys of being a father!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I'm going to have a chance to shoot non-Lexus vehicles soon, guess I'm going to have to post those in The Garage instead of here :(

it would be a dream to shoot >10 SportCross all lined up with a perfect backdrop.

·
Registered
387 Posts
/\ id be in for that but nor cal is a bit of a haul from dallas.....

that said im also interested in the non-staggered idea and damn you squareback! i want those old rims of yours! when you go to the non staggered setup do you still see the issue with fronts wearing on the inside?

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I have had stock, the above setup, and my current setup, and I personally have never had a problem with inside wear. I have heard others do, but not me. I do have a problem where I wear out the outside of my front driver-side tire, but I think that is because I'm going to fast around right turns.

I still have them if you want them, you can have them for free if you pay for shipping. I had all four repainted gunmetal before I put them one, but one of them is not true (I'm not sure which one, but it is a very slight wobble at 60mph that can not be balanced out). On top of the I curbed the hell out of one, two days before I was going to take them off. I was crushed, as I loved those wheels, and they are still my favorite look on the IS.

You may be able to fix them, and get them repainted/powder-coated, but I'm not 100% sure they can all be true. If your comfortable doing that I will give them to you for free, if you pay to ship them. There may be a risk of them not ever getting true though. The wobble that is present is so slight that a passenger never asked about. I could tell since I was driving, but nobody ever mentioned it.

You could probably rock them as is, and maybe sand the curbed one down and rattle can them all, and live with a the slight wobble in the steering wheel. They don't leak.

Here is my current setup. 7.5 in front, 8.5 in rear 225/40 and 255/35. Understeers like a biznatch, unless you run about 4 pounds lees pressure in the rear. I'm going to try 235/40 next time in the rear buy some sways to dial it out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
PM'ed!

- you must spread some rep around before giving to Squareback again..... damnit! not fair

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am looking at
TSW Kyalami
WHEEL FINISH : Chrome
(Wheel is plated in chrome, highly reflective)
WHEEL SIZE: 17x8
BOLT PATTERN: 5-114.3, 5-120
WHEEL OFFSET : 40

Will the +40 offset work for the sportcross, or is it to small?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Or should I get
5zigen Pro Racer Zr 520 (chrome Silver)
Size: 17x8
PCD: 5x114.3
ET: 42

I would like to put 225 45 tires on .
Will these fit?
Are they better or worse then the ones I just mentioned above?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts