Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have LTuned springs with Tokico Illumina shocks, I had these installed by a shop but I think they messed something up since I get all kinds of noise from right rear only.

If I'm standing still and start to move I hear a pretty loud 'click', same thing when the car stops. When going slowly over a rought surface I can hear clicking all the time.

Also, I get very loud squeaking which does not always happen. It will be there for couple of weeks, then go away for a while and then come back.

Any ideas? I don't want to take it back to the shop that did the job since I had so may problems with them, I wont let them touch my car again.

I went to couple mechanics and their not sure whats causing them, my last option it to take the whole thing appart myself and put it back together again. I'm not sure what to look for though when I do this.

Any suggestions would be great, this has been driving me nuts for a long time.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
That sounds very much like something is loose. Check the torque on all the bolts on the coilover assembly as well as the swaybar endlinks and brackets.

The squeaking could be the swaybar bushings or it could be the rubber housing that protects the rear coilover assembly. Spraying some WD 40 has cured it for others if I remember correctly.

EDIT: A blown shock can make a tapping noise. It is possible the mechanic is wrong as well....didn't you say you didn't trust him?
I'm not good with the terminology but there is just he upper mount...I seem to recall there being a rubber disc to isolate the sound....maybe he forgot to put it in? Someone here forgot to put it in and was getting noise.

Maybe it's the dead coil thing (see other thread)....the solution is to put a plastic tube around the lower portion of the coil...but my Eibachs came with it and I assume the L-Tuned has it as well from the factory. Progressive springs are wound very close together at the bottom so that is why the noise potoential.

My used Eibachs have absolutely no noise whatsoever.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mechanics said that nothing appeared to be loose, is there something hidden at the top of the shock thats not visible that could be loose?

I think the clicking is coming from the very top of the shock, but it doesnt seem to be loose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts