Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed this, but I can't figure out what it is. I can keep my head slightly out the window and tell its coming from the front. Whenever I am driving (mostly noticeable at 30ish because its quiet), and the front wheels hit a small bump the front sounds like clanking almost?? I cant' figure out what it is. I thought it was my tires or something, but I don't think it is them anymore. Is this something caused by that 'undercarraige' thing?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
it sounds like a metal on metal clap, clask, sound with a few different varieties. The sound is only heard when going over hard to medium bumps.. Regular driving, it's not there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah I hear that too. I thought it was that "undercarriage thing".

·
Registered
832 Posts
mattssi said:
I've noticed this, but I can't figure out what it is. I can keep my head slightly out the window and tell its coming from the front. Whenever I am driving (mostly noticeable at 30ish because its quiet), and the front wheels hit a small bump the front sounds like clanking almost?? I cant' figure out what it is. I thought it was my tires or something, but I don't think it is them anymore. Is this something caused by that 'undercarraige' thing?

Check your front sway bar.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It's your endlinks. I had the same problem also.

-Yamaha Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've noticed the same thing for the past month, but I haven't brought it to the dealer yet. I'm wondering if they'll hear it because it's not on every bump.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Here's how to test your front suspension and locate the source of noises.

1. Put the front of the car up on jack stands.

2. Take off the front wheels.

3. Put your floor jack (you may need a wood block on top) under the lower suspension point.

4. Move the suspension through its entire travel using the jack and listen closely for noises. When you have a noise, concentrate on that point of suspension travel and try and pinpoint the location of the noise. Maybe have someone else help listen for noise locations.

5. Sometimes you can move the jack so that only some parts of the supension move, thereby isolating a given area where you heard a noise.

I found the elusive front end noise on my IS300 by the above method. I was able to narrow it down to the bolts that fasten the sway bar bracket to the car subframe..... Tightened the bolts and no more noises. Prior to that, two different dealer shops had failed to find the problem.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
bartkat said:
Here's how to test your front suspension and locate the source of noises.

1. Put the front of the car up on jack stands.

2. Take off the front wheels.

3. Put your floor jack (you may need a wood block on top) under the lower suspension point.

4. Move the suspension through its entire travel using the jack and listen closely for noises. When you have a noise, concentrate on that point of suspension travel and try and pinpoint the location of the noise. Maybe have someone else help listen for noise locations.

5. Sometimes you can move the jack so that only some parts of the supension move, thereby isolating a given area where you heard a noise.

I found the elusive front end noise on my IS300 by the above method. I was able to narrow it down to the bolts that fasten the sway bar bracket to the car subframe..... Tightened the bolts and no more noises. Prior to that, two different dealer shops had failed to find the problem.
The noise wasn't heard on every bump was it?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Nismo3112 said:
The noise wasn't heard on every bump was it?
Not every bump, but it became more and more frequent and you could make it happen at will. Mostly during a slow turn.

Of course these other cases may be different, but the method for finding the source would be the same.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Well I am 99% sure I solved my noise problem.. It turns out that one of the bolts holding the right front caliper on was completely gone.. I knew it was somewhere along the brake system, as the noise dissappeared when you applied the brakes. But I am to blame, as I painted my calipers and installed new pads not too long ago, and probly didn't tighten the bolts enough.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yep I was about to tell you I've got the same noise. It's the front caliper mounting plate. Mine needs to be replanced becaused it is stripped. A comon problem for any of the cats driven in the Eastcoast due to salt and stuff on the roads during icey seasons. Lexus was going to charge me an arm and a leg so I'm holding out. THe other bolt is on tight.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My problem sounds very simular to yours.. Just one click/knock when you ride a bump or pothole. It's not very frequent, but seems to happen more frequently when making a left hand turn.
Which one exactly is the sway bar?

bartkat said:
Not every bump, but it became more and more frequent and you could make it happen at will. Mostly during a slow turn.

Of course these other cases may be different, but the method for finding the source would be the same.

·
8,803 Posts
i had a similar noise. turns out it was a cracked bushing.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I_sean_S said:
Yep I was about to tell you I've got the same noise. It's the front caliper mounting plate. Mine needs to be replanced becaused it is stripped. A comon problem for any of the cats driven in the Eastcoast due to salt and stuff on the roads during icey seasons. Lexus was going to charge me an arm and a leg so I'm holding out. THe other bolt is on tight.
Lexus referred me to Carquest, which wanted $13 for the caliper bolt.. Picked up a temp. bolt at the hardware store for now, but I am trying to see which Toyota models use the same bolt, maybe I can get it for cheaper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts