Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 has 19k miles. The clutch was chattering and became difficult to shift smoothly. It wasn't my driving, I had the Lexus head service manager drive it and he made me car sick. He couldn't shift it smooth for his life and said there was nothing wrong and that's the way the 5-spd IS feels. I couldn't take it any longer so i had it replaced. It pissed me off because they wouldn't cover it under warranty. It cost nearly a grand and they didn't give me a loner car. I have heard of people getting new clutches under warranty with similar mileage. Can anyone else relate?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Clutch is considered "wear & tear" & isn't covered under warranty NORMALLY. In your case, 19K sounds more like a defect rather than "wear & tear" & so it should be under warranty.

The thing is, it's hard to prove it's a defect & isn't a result of "wear & tear". They could just say there are signs of abuse, it's your driving ...

$1K US sounds expensive, BMW charges about $800 Cdn ($600 US) for a complete clutch replacement (including labour).

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
my clutch burned out at 20K, and at first the dealer told me they werent gonna pay for it (clutch and flywheel replacement for $2000+). so i called Lexus customer satisfaction service or whatever its called, and told them the problem, and they contacted my dealer, and in the end covered the full replacement of my clutch and flywheel (and slave cylinder) under warranty.

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
they replaced mine no questions asked...

the tech and I even had a little fun destroying the old clutch when I dropped it off in the morning...

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
also, I noticed you said it was under a grand... after seeing the prices my dealer put down for the new clutch, that tells me they didnt replace the flywheel on your car. This isnt necessary all the time, but if you were having bad chatter, the cause can often be having clutch material burned onto the flywheel.

I take it that the chatter is totally gone now? If not, I would take it back to the dealer and demand that they fix the chatter now that youve gone ahead and replaced the clutch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts