Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People,
We all knew what the gas mileage was going to be when we bought the car - it's on the sticker for God's sake.

If you don't like the mileage then trade your IS in on one of those half electric econo-squirrel cars. Period.

I feel better now.

------------------
cardinal

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
carinal_creek,
We all know that people on this forum will complain about is300 issues.

If you don't like reading the complaints, then go find another forum.

I feel better now.

-------------------

TEG

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the board's mission was to be an enthusiasts' board - yes that would include addressing some negatives - but everyday someone is bashing the mileage. Gets old.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm with Cardinal. I understand there will be negatives and that is fine,but when you know the facts going in, it is not a negative it is a reality. Every IS owner in this forum knew the gas milage going in. There is no comment to be made.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think some of the complaints are a result of a little wishful thinking (me included). There has been a lot of discussion in the past on why the mileage was so low and some speculation that it must be better than the GS300 since it has the same engine/tranny/ratios and is much lighter. We have had one member's report that it is slightly better than the GS. I'm still waiting for break-in to see how my mileage turns out.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I recently calculated the most ridiculous MPG on my last tank...17.5 MPG! This wasn't stop-and-go type driving mind you, this was wide open freeway, constant speed for a long time type driving! I understand that this is an enthusiast's page for the IS, and I love my car, but I think that Lexus could have done something a little better... I mean a Porsche 911 Turbo gets almost the same gas mileage (I think it is according to whatever mag this month that's doing the Porche/Ferrari/Aston Martin comparo)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Mind you guys......winter is getting closer and winter gas (ALL brands, all grades) will give you EVEN lower gas mileage.

That's a guarantee......

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Sometimes you wonder how the heck performance sedans with bigger engines (4L and above) can have better gas mileage than the IS......

I sincerely think that Toyota in that respect should've done better, especially with their I6 3L.....

My 2 cents....

·
Registered
70 Posts
dude, what difference is there between summer gas and winter gas?

Also, about the gas mileage, Lexus could engineer the car better than this. There is no plausible reason why the car doesn't get better gas mileage.

[This message has been edited by chuck_rock (edited September 07, 2000).]

·
Registered
306 Posts
One obvious reason for the low highway mileage is the low gearing of 5th gear. If it was a little taller, mileage would improve at the expense of a little top speed (a reasonable tradeoff for me). I do wonder why the mileage isn't better than my 92 Maxima which was heavier. I routinely got 25mpg in combo city/highway driving.

Regarding the summer/winter gas thing, I believe here in Dallas and 16 other large metro areas they have reformulated gas in the summer to reduce emissions. I wonder how this compares to normal summer gas and winter gas.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I believe winter gas has some anti-freezing agents added in, so that in cold climates, the gas wouldn't freeze up as easily.....but that agent affects the performance of gasolines quite a bit....... Which means that the further south you go, the less anti-freeze agent they put in.

Originally posted by chuck_rock:
dude, what difference is there between summer gas and winter gas?

Also, about the gas mileage, Lexus could engineer the car better than this. There is no plausible reason why the car doesn't get better gas mileage.

[This message has been edited by chuck_rock (edited September 07, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
There is an optimal air temperature for optimal engine performance ( I don't remember what is it though)......Too warm, the air is not dense enough.....Too cold, the air is too dense

But the density of air has to be combined with the relative humidity, quality of air, atmospheric pressure to be considered 'optimal.'

Basically, there are too many variables which affects the performance of the engine. On board ECUs do adjust them, but sometimes even 'they' are out of reach!!

Originally posted by Juggaknot:
which helps ur engine perform better.. cooler air or warmer air?

·
8,107 Posts
The reason they change the gas in the winter is that Hydrocarbons in the gas only burn in gaseous form, so when the air is cold, the fuel must be more volatile to burn. Gas is made more volatile in the winter and in cold regions to compensate, and higher volatility means lower energy content (worse mileage). However, modern engines can compensate for changes in altitude and air temperature, so the gas companies don't change the gas as much as they used to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
ckolsen
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing