Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go.
My first post. Always glad to join a new forum.

2 weeks ago I purchased this car with the intend of just using it as a beater but I like speed and forced induction.

anyhow. I will be catching up on some reading as I have in the past two weeks.
I plan on building the motor with in the next few weeks as long as I can source all the parts. Have no idea what I’m doing I used to know jdm now it’s foreign to me.

plan is to go over 600+ hp for daily and maybe Even possibly do a manual conversion. With in weeks parts permitting.
I will try to keep updates on the pics because I’m sure it will be a fun process to see since I don’t speak JDM.

I changed out one ball joint on Tuesday…..
Then….

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are just some parts I ordered. I’m not here to knock brands although I will say I’ll probably be on the eBay and China bandwagon as I am with most of my builds so if you see some really cheap turbos being used My aploogies. I’ll use the better parts in certain areas when applicable.

·
Registered
2001 AR5 Swap, Built NA-T, Standalone
570 Posts
That's a GTE turbo manifold. Unless you have a GTE head it won't work at all. Even the runner spacing is different on them. I made the same mistake from an independent seller and it was a nightmare, on Amazon it should be easy to swap out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured it was after reading about it last night. As I saw the middle bolt holes non existent. I did save the old exhaust flanges just in case I had to make my own……lol….. as usually everything always needs some fabbing. I figured at least the cats may get some loot towards free injectors.
I’m going to make an exhaust for the turbo back.
I tried to take them to the recycler to get them off my shop floor. To no avail… closed for the holidays for a week lol. Wish I had a vacation.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Nice. Well... welcome to the community.

My process would be to prioritize these 2 at the start

1. Maintenance - fluids and suspension and bushings (the latter 2 lead into the point 2)
2. Suspension/brake upgrades

as far as boost, you're looking at 2 options - gte swap (1j or 2j) or na-t

based on which path you take depends on the type of research you'll be doing and what advice you'll get from the members here.

for manual swap there's a handful of options, for 600+ you'll probably be looking at something beefy v160, t56, built r154 something like that... anything stock won't cut it

looking forward to your build

·
Registered
132 Posts
I figured it was after reading about it last night. As I saw the middle bolt holes non existent. I did save the old exhaust flanges just in case I had to make my own……lol….. as usually everything always needs some fabbing.
Won’t work. And it won’t be for a lack of trying. Exhaust runner spacing is completely different. By the time you’ve adapted GTE to GE runner spacing, it would had been cheaper to buy a GE manifold for the $150-200 they cost.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far from what I have been gathering I may go the t56 route since I am familiar with the setup already on my other car. I keep reading about the cd009 swaps and will need to do some more reading around here. I’ll return the Amazon part tomorrow when I get a chance and look for another manifold where can I get a cheaper manifold I’m. Not looking to make it look pretty I’m in it for speed.
I will be ordering some pistons and rods with a stock tt head gasket from what I am gathering I will run a stand alone I know how to tune fuel and spark timing etc…as I am using hptuners to tune my ls swapped car. I know there will be some learning curve but I am
Ready for the challenge.

·
Registered
132 Posts
eBay is a good place to source those cheap turbo manifolds, especially if you’re in CA. Though Amazon has the DNA brand ones, shipped via prime by Amazon themselves (I guess any fines are just cost of business for them) for $180. I’ve used these generic ones before. They’ll work fine. For literally less than 1/10 the cost of the PHR ones, they’re amazing.

I’m guessing you’ll be using the GTE pistons/rods? And I’m assuming you’ll be using a T56 rather than a TR6060/T56 Magnum? The T56 swap referenced for the IS300 is the T56 Mag which really isn’t a T56 other than transmission case geometry for the most part. It’ll still fit and is a lot cheaper. It should last the 600hp but not much more I don’t think. It’s also not a great feeling transmission versus the TR6060/T56 Magnum from factory.

As for HP Tuner versus any normal standalone…HP tuner is far better at turning DTCs off than standalones and that’s the extent of it. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was going to go with the f body type if there is an adapter bell for it. Also thank you for the responses and happy thanksgiving to everyone In the states. I’m in PA here other side of the country. I’ll plan on a cheapie manifold and plan on spending the real loot elsewhrere.
I’m now reading stock cams are good for almost 600 hp but now I have my eyes set on bc 272 or 264 gears and at least 1000 injectors and possibly e85 since it’s pretty available here now a days

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I need you all to help me
With my parts list.

Car has 248k on the clock lol. Mega street cred.🤦‍♂️

I’m looking at an oem tt Headgasket.
Generally which CR should
I get with e85 9.5 or 9.0?

Cams / springs.
(Stock vvti cam looks like it’s leaking.)
I’m going to get a gasket kit as well.
I want this to be a reliable fun driver.

any recommendations / suggestions always welcome here. I am literally trying to cram info while tackling the project at the same time. I am trying to drive this car ASAP and have fun.
The jump will help. I understand the search button but I’m only one person lol. And I’m getting older now my multitasking skills are diminishing. So please relax and bear with me along the way.
Thanks in advance 🙏

·
Registered
132 Posts
With my parts list.

Cams / springs.

any recommendations / suggestions always welcome here. I am literally trying to cram info while tackling the project at the same time. I am trying to drive this car ASAP and have fun.
The jump will help. I understand the search button but I’m only one person lol. And I’m getting older now my multitasking skills are diminishing. So please relax and bear with me along the way.
Thanks in advance 🙏
It seems like you have most of the important stuff down already.

If you’re going with stock gte pistons/rods then there really isn’t much of a choice in terms of compression ratio. However, with aftermarket pistons, higher is better for e85. But you’ll sacrifice knock resistance on pump gas so set your failsafes.

For cams/springs, I’d recommend BC264 and gsc beehives. (Though single springs will be perfectly fine for the rpm range of the BC264. I preferred beehives and conicals but I digress) Stock cams are perfectly fine for 600hp. It just won’t be as efficient. If you can swing the cost of upgrading cams and springs, definitely do it.

Cams more aggressive than the 264 won’t be as good for a daily driver. Your tolerance will be different than mine. Since your other car is LS based, I’d say stay around the 264 range. (I’d wager the IS300 would drive like a LM7 with around a ~224 cam stock)

VVTI is awesome. Definitely keep it. O rings to fix that leak is very cheap. Get an adjustable exhaust cam gear while you’re there. BC sells one for ~$180. It’ll make your HP goals a little easier to reach.

I don’t know if you’re planning to use upgraded head studs and bolts. Get a set of ARP hardware if you’re not planning to.

·
Registered
2002 is300
644 Posts
With my parts list.

Cams / springs.

Thanks in advance 🙏
Honestly, e85 will take 10.0 to 1 fine. I'm doing 11 to 1 with mine but I hate my life and love cars in pieces. 10.0:1 will be good for low end but still be able to run 91 on low boost. There are plenty of videos of resealing the vvti gears. Don't go 272 as from what I've seen on the specs it will hurt spool time. A GSC cam is built more for a turbo vs BC is more NA. Some titanium retainers and GSC beehive springs and you'll be set. If you have the money switch to single piece shim and bucket. If you plan on pulling the block for machine work some billet main caps and arp hardware and you'll be set for 1khp + depending on fuel and turbo. For injectors go 1cc=1hp plus 30% for e85 then 20% so you don't max your injectors out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good to know didn’t know you can adjust the exhaust cam. Thought that was non vvti.
I will probably be purchasing an adjustable cam gear as well.
Also I never even heard of a gsc cam until you just filled me in …. Yikes.
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
For real.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts