Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe ive missed something in the FAQ's, if so, apologies..

but it seems like many ppl have the centerforce dual friction clutch (part # DF522018) with the Fidanza flywheel combo

i thought that was made to fit an 02 IS300. i went to my local speed shop to place an order and they said it wasnt made for my car. to double check they called Centerforce, with them saying they at one point did make the application for my car but since then stopped due to complications and fitment issues?

although they do make it for the SC300.

what gives here? are ppl retrofitting this to the IS300??

let me know asap i need a new clutch!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
lol wtf. Uh your shop is just whack. The clutch fits fine and many members here are using it with great results. Just get DF522018 and you should be fine. Some members here have been running with the setup for like 75k.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thats what i thought! but i would rather ask first and then order, ya know? when i looked for myself on Centerforce's website, the IS300 isnt even an option. they arent doing the work for me, just ordering the part.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but which car am i ordering this clutch for? since Centerforce said they dont even make the clutch "specific" for the IS300...?

am i ordering it for a SC300 or one of the Supra's?

or do i just need to the specific part number, vehicle type isnt necessary..?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Yes I even called them up and spoke to the technical support people, they don't list one for the Is300, I think the problem is the center disc is non-sprung for the stock Dual mass Flywheel.
So if you have the plain Jane flywheel the SC300 one or Supra Non-Turbo fits.

I tried to find someone who has used the sprung hub center disc with the dual mass Flywheel and didn't get a response.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yes I even called them up and spoke to the technical support people, they don't list one for the Is300, I think the problem is the center disc is non-sprung for the stock Dual mass Flywheel.
So if you have the plain Jane flywheel the SC300 one or Supra Non-Turbo fits.

I tried to find someone who has used the sprung hub center disc with the dual mass Flywheel and didn't get a response.
Yeah, the problem was our stock flywheel. People were not doing their research and calling in saying the ride quality is shit when they use unsprung flywheel with unsprung clutch. Centerforce didn't want to deal with them probably.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Yeah, the problem was our stock flywheel. People were not doing their research and calling in saying the ride quality is shit when they use unsprung flywheel with unsprung clutch. Centerforce didn't want to deal with them probably.
but can you use the sprung hub center plate with the Dual mass flywheel without any issues ?

thanks Ian.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have the centerforce df clutch on my car with the stock flywheel and it works fine. it will give a little "jerk" if you pop the clutch fast. but its very smooth if im driving normal. i am going to replace the flywheel with a NA supra though(lighter)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
i have the centerforce df clutch on my car with the stock flywheel and it works fine. it will give a little "jerk" if you pop the clutch fast. but its very smooth if im driving normal. i am going to replace the flywheel with a NA supra though(lighter)
Thanks for answering !!

It was my guess it would be fine, Supra son said he didn't see why it wouldn't be fine.
Two springs in series produces softer spring rate and more wind up, but could any one actually tell !!!

This was my plan too.
First install sprung hub clutch and replace the flywheel later ( since clutch wont wait much longer)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I wonder if there are any potential damages that may occur with a sprung clutch/sprung flywheel though. I remember calling centerforce and they told me not to use the stock flywheel with their clutch.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I wonder if there are any potential damages that may occur with a sprung clutch/sprung flywheel though. I remember calling centerforce and they told me not to use the stock flywheel with their clutch.
Well if you ask them as I did as well they say they don't have an application approved for the IS300.

The danger to the gearbox is an un-sprung center plate with an un-sprung flywheel. The shock of dropping the clutch might break the gears.

however with both being sprung this isn't the issue. So what could happen ??
the softer effective spring rate may cause more wind up, and if its bad it can cause an oscillation. ( look up the physics of two springs in series)

The reply from jdub_gsx says he has no major issues, only a jerk when he drops the clutch too fast, which happens anyway IMHO. no mention of Oscillation or windup.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Well if you ask them as I did as well they say they don't have an application approved for the IS300.

The danger to the gearbox is an un-sprung center plate with an un-sprung flywheel. The shock of dropping the clutch might break the gears.

however with both being sprung this isn't the issue. So what could happen ??
the softer effective spring rate may cause more wind up, and if its bad it can cause an oscillation. ( look up the physics of two springs in series)

The reply from jdub_gsx says he has no major issues, only a jerk when he drops the clutch too fast, which happens anyway IMHO. no mention of Oscillation or windup.
They just got a new clutch assigned to the IS300. I called them to see if there were any changes made between the new one and old one. They said no and they just assigned a product number to the IS300 but the clutch is the same clutch.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
So continuing on this line of thought, the softer spring rate ( approx 0.7 of the original) will give a natural oscillation frequency of .7 times the original, so the jerk may appear a little faster than the normal clutch.
( Declarations. I assumed the two spring rates k1 for the flywheel and k2 for the sprung hub are approximately the same. )

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
They just got a new clutch assigned to the IS300. I called them to see if there were any changes made between the new one and old one. They said no and they just assigned a product number to the IS300 but the clutch is the same clutch.
Wow thats good !!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.