Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this as my first car a week ago, and was originally going for the 96' Camaro but, insurance for a 17 yr old, hah v8 2 doors, yeah no. Anyways, has massive leak from 1st oil gasket (some one messed up) still drivavble so I use for school and everything in between.

The exhaust is questionable and I don't like the RiCeR sound of it, oh boy, no. It has long tube headers, from a guy before last guy, no cats, one resonator (at least I think) and before the res it has wire tying it to the frame. Then finally the stock IS300 muffler not even in the correct placement of the cut out, try 3 inch's diagonally to the bottom left. My dad's a 25 yr MT (master tech.) for GM, so I have lift and all detail shop in between for my needs.

Should I fix the routing so first it doesn't hit the rear trailer arm, then do a dif muffler? I was thinking HKS catback? But without it having cats, is this car gonna have that rasp to it? I can get on it and go, and then the rasp turns into a more like power sounding like, dyno noise. Can't really explain it, but at 5k it sounds pretty decent. I have many junk yards around me with JDM cars, and I love cars, so I know a car when I see it. I have seen a couple Integra's and Subi' bugeyes', with HKS catbacks, but would they fit 3in or not?

Any help is appreciated, sorry layout of terms and staying on topic is problem, but this is first post and all.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Bought this as my first car a week ago, and was originally going for the 96' Camaro but, insurance for a 17 yr old, hah v8 2 doors, yeah no. Anyways, has massive leak from 1st oil gasket (some one messed up) still drivavble so I use for school and everything in between.

The exhaust is questionable and I don't like the RiCeR sound of it, oh boy, no. It has long tube headers, from a guy before last guy, no cats, one resonator (at least I think) and before the res it has wire tying it to the frame. Then finally the stock IS300 muffler not even in the correct placement of the cut out, try 3 inch's diagonally to the bottom left. My dad's a 25 yr MT (master tech.) for GM, so I have lift and all detail shop in between for my needs.

Should I fix the routing so first it doesn't hit the rear trailer arm, then do a dif muffler? I was thinking HKS catback? But without it having cats, is this car gonna have that rasp to it? I can get on it and go, and then the rasp turns into a more like power sounding like, dyno noise. Can't really explain it, but at 5k it sounds pretty decent. I have many junk yards around me with JDM cars, and I love cars, so I know a car when I see it. I have seen a couple Integra's and Subi' bugeyes', with HKS catbacks, but would they fit 3in or not?

Any help is appreciated, sorry layout of terms and staying on topic is problem, but this is first post and all.
I have done a few with no cats. I would do the Magnaflow exhaust system. But I do not like waking the neighborhood.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done a few with no cats. I would do the Magnaflow exhaust system. But I do not like waking the neighborhood.
Would it delete the rasp if I get rid of just the Resonator? Would it help If I just add a HKS catback remove the Res, and then halfway down the exhaust add a random Highflow cat?
I don't have a bunch of money to shell on exhaust and not like it.

If you ever played Need for Speed MW 05' the IS300 has a distinct sound, its' bubbly and has a nice loud tone. So would adding just a cat, help keep some of that, and remove the rasp. Also fixing the rattling from poor mounting. Also the Y-pipe for the header broke in half, as in "the metal is broke right down the bolt holes" is this a issue, for stability of the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Would it delete the rasp if I get rid of just the Resonator? Would it help If I just add a HKS catback remove the Res, and then halfway down the exhaust add a random Highflow cat?
I don't have a bunch of money to shell on exhaust and not like it.

If you ever played Need for Speed MW 05' the IS300 has a distinct sound, its' bubbly and has a nice loud tone. So would adding just a cat, help keep some of that, and remove the rasp. Also fixing the rattling from poor mounting. Also the Y-pipe for the header broke in half, as in "the metal is broke right down the bolt holes" is this a issue, for stability of the exhaust.
Broken pipe and combination of the resonator and muffler is the rasp you are hearing. If you do cheap muffler. It will get loud and still be raspy at high rpms.
If you do not have much money. Get a muffler shop to run a 2.5 inch pipe all the way back to a universal muffler. As for the muffler, take your pick for sound level. Anything in a cannon design. Will be loud and raspy. A good pack style muffler offset/offset about 14 x 4 x 8 will not be bad. Depending on brand.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Broken pipe and combination of the resonator and muffler is the rasp you are hearing. If you do cheap muffler. It will get loud and still be raspy at high rpms.
If you do not have much money. Get a muffler shop to run a 2.5 inch pipe all the way back to a universal muffler. As for the muffler, take your pick for sound level. Anything in a cannon design. Will be loud and raspy. A good pack style muffler offset/offset about 14 x 4 x 8 will not be bad. Depending on brand.
So I made the, "ricer recipe" without even trying.. lol. I will see if I can find another Y-pipe, there is a bunch of part out is300's within good drive of 40mins. Should I just do, straight all the way back too stock muffler? As the stock Muffler is a reverse-flow, it has the most effectiveness. I just want that deeper sound. I know it's no Inline 5 or V8.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts