Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Lexus Dealership wants >$1600 for the 90k service with the timing belt and water pump replaced and I said no thank you.

I got this quote from a Toyotal dealership, let me know what you guys think.

Timing Belt - 399.95 p/l
Water Pump - 232.00 p/l
Spark plugs & wires - 381.00 p/l

Besides, these are the major items I want replaced. The other minor stuff I can do myself.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had my 90k service done, less waterpump, at a Lexus dealer for $1250. They Toyota quote looks pretty reasonable for the Timing belt and water pump. I think the waterpump alone cost ~$200 and there's not much labor associated with it once the timing belt is off. I was under the impression my plugs were done during the 60k service. Are you sure you need them done?

·
Registered
930 Posts
My local Lexus Dealership wants >$1600 for the 90k service with the timing belt and water pump replaced and I said no thank you.

Timing Belt - 399.95 p/l
Water Pump - 232.00 p/l

Besides, these are the major items I want replaced. The other minor stuff I can do myself.

My friend paid almost that exact price for his... for that price I would tell them to eat it and I would do it myself lol
I have seen 90k "kits" on ebay with all the parts for way less than that... and yes it is ebay but if done by yourself you should easily be able to do it for less than $500.

Reactions: Chigger

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Reactions: Chigger

·
Registered
2,329 Posts

Timing Belt - 399.95 p/l
Water Pump - 232.00 p/l

The Toyota prices are very reasonable for the TB and water pump. The sparks and wires are too high...the wires don't need replacing either. For anyone trying to save money this is a DIY for sure. It is a pain to remove the intake Y manifold (which is part of why the cost) but is absolutely do-able.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks and rep to all that replied.

I didn't get my 60k done at the Stealership so I need the plugs and wires replaced.

With the wife, baby and the new house... I just don't have the free time like I used to have and work on my car.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Rep back. Thanks. The overall cost is still actually very good . The TB and Pump are especially reasonable. I know what you mean about the time. My SAFC has been sitting in my garage since November.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I got the timing belt, seals, water pump, and acc drive belt replaced all for $758. I then went back and had the plugs replaced and had a T/B service done for $150. I did bring in the denso' myself though. they were about $82. ALL AT TOYOTA, FUCK GOING TO LEXUS

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the timing belt, seals, water pump, and acc drive belt replaced all for $758. I then went back and had the plugs replaced and had a T/B service done for $150. I did bring in the denso' myself though. they were about $82. ALL AT TOYOTA, FUCK GOING TO LEXUS
That sounds about right... and Toyota give me a loaner.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I went to my regular shop and got timing belt and waterpump for $300 or $350 minus parts. I got the OEM waterpump new off ebay for $110 shipped versus paying $230 for the same exact one at the dealer. Got the timing belt from the dealer for $30. I just had all the oil (transmission, rear diff and engine) and sparkplugs changed for $120 (labor alone) about two weeks ago.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey, I just got my 90k service done this week at Luxury Motorworks in Monrovia, ca (for those who havent already heard or been to this place). With all genuine toyota parts and labor I was quoted $853 w/taxes (minus spark plug change). However, a few weeks ago, I ordered my own AISIN Waterpump from Rockauto.com which is the same waterpump/company that manufactures the oem toyota waterpump. Paid about $90 w/shipping for the pump. I asked Steve at LMW if he could install my water pump I provided, so they deducted the price of their waterpump part and and used mine, I ended up paying $675 w/taxes for all parts and labor. By the way, I got my oil change and filter done last month by LMW, and told Steve I would come in for the 90k this month, so I kinda spread the price so i wouldnt have to spend out of pocket in one time. I went more than 100miles over 90K before I got the timing belt service done. The ride feels a little better and I have piece of mind knowing that this is finally taken care of. I think I got a good price from a reputable shop. I will most likely take my car in for the spark plug service in a few months, I already bought the denso plugs a few years ago in advance!

·
Registered
501 Posts
The Toyota prices are very reasonable for the TB and water pump. The sparks and wires are too high...the wires don't need replacing either. For anyone trying to save money this is a DIY for sure. It is a pain to remove the intake Y manifold (which is part of why the cost) but is absolutely do-able.
Why do people remove the Y manifold? I just did plugs in about a hour and didnt remove it. Just the throttle body and "flex spacer" needed to be removed.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got everything done last week. Now the car (belt?) making a slight clicking noise.

I am bringing it back next week... has any had this happened to them after changing their timing belt (water pump)?

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I got my T-Belt and Water Pump done at local Lexus dealer for $925 total with tax. I was getting various quotes from different dealers ranging from that to $1100. By the way I got my T-Belt done at 125K mi on the car and this is 2004. I didn't try Toyota dealer at all I figured I give my Lexus dealer a chance to rape me once in 5years, because my car hasn't been there since free 5K mi oil change :blush: (As a bonus I got to beat on the IS250 AWD for day and a half).

·
Registered
910 Posts
You have been a member since 02' You have almost 12k in post and you don't know how to fix your car? Do you just look at all the pretty pictures here or what? DIY.....its easy man.

·
Registered
910 Posts
It's called a job, wife and a kid. Just don't have the time anymore.
I wrench 40+ hours a week, have 2 of my own kids and my GF has 2 as well. I play pool 2 times a week(mon and weds) building 2 cars as well. Take time for yourself sometimes man. Clear your day off for 6 hours and you can get it done while taking your time.:cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.