Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so i just bought a zex progressive kit. heres the question. i only plan on doing a 50 to 75 shot on a completely built motor for the 1/4 mile till i have the money to get my turbo setup completed since i sold my sc kit. i know run on, but whatever. heres the thing, i have searched, and i found lots of great information. i want to run this kit, but currently am running on the stock ecu with supra na injectors, low compression at 8.3/1, stage 3 cams, headers, y pipe, exhaust, and custom intake tube, with supra valve train and ported and polished head. heres the thing, its surprisingly fast considering the extremely low compression, just takes forever to get there. i did say fast, not quick. my last 1/4 mile run was crappy at 15.1 but had a speed of 103, so once it gets up, it gets going, just takes a while to get there.

i am hoping a 75 shot of nitrous in 2nd, and 3rd gears will put me into the 13's. but i dont know. help me out here and let me know what you guys and gals think.

i am hearing that i need to retard the timing 2 degrees for every 25 shot i run, so how the hell am i going to retard 6 degrees with nothing to do it with. any ideas, or insight.

thanks in advance, and no flaming, please, ive heard it all, and helped many on here. now its my turn to seek a little help.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
I think when you go over 100 shot on a stock compression is when you need to pull timing. With your engine havnig lower compression and stronger internals I am not sure if you will need to pull timing. If I remember right there is a member on here that ran a 125 shot on a stock engine and didnt have many problems. I do know you will need to add a window switch so the NO2 is not used till after 3000rpms or just not press the button till after.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
2 degrees for every 75shot you run and if you are only running 75 you can still get away with the stock timing.

Get yourself a RPM window switch and set it at about 2700-about 500 under your redline cause you dont want to spray when you hit redline.

Do that and with your build you should be good.

Edit: I ran 125 shot for 4 years and the first 2 i didnt retard the timing at all and never had an issue.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
with 8.3/1 I doubt you'd need to retard timing. Just run premium to be safe (if you're still running premium all the time you don't have to do that either). I have the same setup minus the cams, which are prob why you're starting so slow.

·
Registered
177 Posts
keep us updated as I am intrested in possibly running a kit too. The thing thats keeping me from doing it now is the down time on waiting for a valvebody upgrade from srt. If I had another ride I think I wouldve done it a while ago...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
first, the valvebody upgrade is easy as hell. just order the rods, and do it yourself.

leonard, as far as a window switch, im going to run three switches that came with my kit, wot tps switch, arm switch and button, so i will be hitting it at about 3500rpm since my convertor is stalled at 3200 i dont want that hard kick to spin me around...

also, since i have a built trans, can i just hold the button down, or should i let off between shifts. right now i have enough power to spin second a bit, and chirp third hard enough to jerk the car, so i was thinking of setting up a light or something so i know when to let off the button before the shift occurs. what do you think

and stjarvis, and oksis, i will be running 100 octane on one step colder plugs, or should i be okay with the ngkbkr6's what do you think. and what do you think would be a good starter to mess with, 50 or 75 shot for safety, and nitrous in experience?

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
75 is a decent starter youll want to bump to 100 or 125 pretty fast though cause the 75 doesnt feel like much and its just human instinct to kick it up. I didnt know you had a 3200 stall so your right set that rpm switch at 3500.

With the zex kit you shouldnt have to use a button to fire it off. Just set it up to go when its activation switch is on and then it will fire when the car is at WOT and above 3500 rpms. Personally i never let off the throttle ever and all i had done was a VB upgrade. Mine also stopped spraying 500 rpm from redline also so thats basically like letting off the button so to speak.
Those plugs should be fine also i went 2 steps colder one time and honestly i couldn't tell any difference. You might be able to running the 100 octane so it might be worth a shot when it comes time to change your plugs but for now i wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
is it a wet or dry kit your running. i know that dave(01sarina) used to run a zex 100 shot dry on a stock motor with an srt intake and hit like a 14 flat or 14.1 so you might ask him. i would say with the mods you have and a 75 wet shot 13's is very doable.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its a wet kit. after spending over 5 grand just in parts on the motor, not including all of the labor, which i did myself, im not willing to risk a dry shot. that would just not be intelligent.

thanks for all the inputs

my zex kit didnt come with rpm window switches after re reading it. anybody know where i can get a couple that are pretty easy to use???

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
MSD RPM window switch

MSD Ignition 8969 MSD Digital RPM Window Switch

You may do some searching on google you can probably find a better price. They also have them that arent electronic controlled you use different "pills" to set the rpm. I had the pill version and it works just fine but now i have the digital just cause im a nerd and thought it would be cool to mess around with

·
Registered
177 Posts
I hear the VB upgrade is easy but Im torn between just doing that or having the sprag and TQ swapped for something better. Turbo is not in the budget(turbos are never in the budget even when there is one) and I think nitrous could yield some decent results with a built tranny.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
srt will sell you the vb upgrade. if you want all shift, send them your vb and they will send it back modified with the rods for you to put yourself. pretty sure mo will not warranty anything that he doesnt do himself though, cant say i blame him. i have done quite a few and never had any problems. dangichris is running the trans i did for him, turbo at i think 9lbs, and he was so happy with it, he wants me to build him a motor, which will be started here in the near future as he has all the parts on order

as far as torque convertor, dont buy a new one, just have yours restalled. call this guy at florida torque. send it to him, and for about 400 including shipping you will have a 2800-3200 stall converrtor that is tons of fun to play with. and if all you are going to do is spray you dont need the sprag upgrade. you will never hit the power levels that require the sprag and clutch upgrade.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
125 was the most i ever sprayed i don't have a timeslip to prove it anymore but on the bottle i ran a 12.91. Im not your normal go out and drive at test and tune driver either though i ran Outlaw 10.5 class for years so i can drive in straightline. Its the corners that kill me unfortunately lol

·
Registered
177 Posts
125 was the most i ever sprayed i don't have a timeslip to prove it anymore but on the bottle i ran a 12.91. Im not your normal go out and drive at test and tune driver either though i ran Outlaw 10.5 class for years so i can drive in straightline. Its the corners that kill me unfortunately lol
cool, big block or small block? N/A or power adder? What kind of car?

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
I do SCCA open wheel racing so hard braking/late braking going into turns are my specialty :) and a 800hp car in a straight line would kill me lol

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
when they restall the convertor they change the pump and stator internals with billet parts. dont know exactly how it works, but florida torque does a fantastic job and in a very quick manner. their number is 800-790-0039. tell them i sent you and you will be taken care of. and no i do not get a kickback from them. they are good so i send people their way

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.