Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im torn between the two...some say tune the safc1 and you are fine, others say you need to retard the ignition timing so you need the emanage. Any other alternatives? I plan on running a n/x 50 or 70 wet shot. probably wont touch the 100.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is the safc2 much better than the safc 1?

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
Malekreza11 said:
SAFC is fine.
?????????

Dude you know better then that how is he gonna retard the timing with the SAFC? You have GOT TO retard the timing when spraying nitrous unless your gonna stay at a 50 shot and if thats all your doing save your money and dont do the wear and tear on your motor cause its not worth it for just a 50 shot

Get the E-Manage put the 100 shot pills in it retard the timing back 2-3 degrees and enjoy it

jamieslamdunk said:
go get the emanage if you plan to run over 75.
You should still be retarding the timing 2 degrees at a 75 shot to be safe so really anything over a 50 shot and really why would you spray such a low shot unless you were using it to spool a turbo

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i gotta get my headers in first ;).. pm sent

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
OKCIS said:
?????????

Dude you know better then that how is he gonna retard the timing with the SAFC? You have GOT TO retard the timing when spraying nitrous unless your gonna stay at a 50 shot and if thats all your doing save your money and dont do the wear and tear on your motor cause its not worth it for just a 50 shot

Get the E-Manage put the 100 shot pills in it retard the timing back 2-3 degrees and enjoy it

You should still be retarding the timing 2 degrees at a 75 shot to be safe so really anything over a 50 shot and really why would you spray such a low shot unless you were using it to spool a turbo
I'm not disagreeing about retarding the timing, but how much is it necessary? I ran my '01 IS when it was n/a with intake and exhaust and ran 100shots for at least 15-20 bottles with just a SAFC tune and colder plugs. So, unless you're running direct port injection with big jets, what is the border where you need an emanage....? I don't think I'm the only one that ran 100shots safely without using emanage, so I don't think my case was an anomaly...

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
After using n2o I went turbo, and my CR test was just fine...

Charles

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i might just run an emanage with the nitrous..it seems safer...but more expensive

im still up in the air

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
isman said:
I'm not disagreeing about retarding the timing, but how much is it necessary? I ran my '01 IS when it was n/a with intake and exhaust and ran 100shots for at least 15-20 bottles with just a SAFC tune and colder plugs. So, unless you're running direct port injection with big jets, what is the border where you need an emanage....? I don't think I'm the only one that ran 100shots safely without using emanage, so I don't think my case was an anomaly...
Theres always exceptions and i think it really depends on how much you spray also ive ran well over 60 bottles through my car now i dont think it would still be alive if i used an AFC but who knows honestly noone will ever convince me that retarding the timing is not a must do cause ive always been taught that it has to be done to be safe but im also not gonna argue it with you of all people cause of the insane respect i have for you and that insane beast that you and mo created.

I just personally would never run anything 75+ without retarding timing and its supposed to be 2 degrees for ever 75 HP i believe so thats why with a 125 shot i went ahead and went with 4 degrees.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how about 50 shot on safc1...can i call it a day? still need the blowdown tube and colder sparks?

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
You have to have the blowdown tube to run at the track if you dont have it you wont pass inspection. and a 50 shot i wouldnt waste my time on its not enough for the risk of nitrous on your car and you probably would have a hard time feeling it kick in once you were moving.

I look at things differently from experience if your gonna do it do it right the first time and never mess with it again

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Yeah, well I respect your views on this topic because unlike some views that's posted by others with no personal experience, you speak from your extensive experience. It's seems like there are other active threads on this topic right now, and there are many others who are running 75-100 shots without retarding timing. In anycase, if it's not that much $$, I always say...it's better to be safe than sorry although many will say it's not necessary....

Most of the peeps that blew their engine with n2o that I know of did not have it installed correctly which doesn't mean that they blew the engine because of the timing but more of installation. Bottom line, it's a small price to pay to get it done right, or else it can be much more expensive with a blown engine..

Charles

Reactions: OKCIS

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
OKCIS, Have you played with the timing on the dyno and monitored the knock sensors? With what you seem to know about no2 you should be able to make a little bottle-fed monster. BTW do just retard or do you also run cooler plugs w/the setup?

Just curiosity on the bottle goodies. :)

Reactions: OKCIS and Romyo247

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
are there any benefits of the safc2 over the safc1 as far as the nitrous is concerned

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Yogi_TRD said:
OKCIS, Have you played with the timing on the dyno and monitored the knock sensors? With what you seem to know about no2 you should be able to make a little bottle-fed monster. BTW do just retard or do you also run cooler plugs w/the setup?

Good point. I totally forgot that when I dynoed 268whp sae on 100shot with Ingen intake and cat back Greddy Evo exhaust while tunning the SAFC, the installer had the knock sensor connected and was monitoring during the dyno runs... Clean. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
Yogi_TRD said:

I run colder plugs and retarded timing im a firm believer thats the only reason my motor has lasted as long as it has but ISman is definately right the install is a huge part of it i have seen people install wet kits and flip flop the gas and the N20 pills.........

As far as dyno no i havent my biggest problem is i live in Oklahoma and until last month we didnt even have a RWdyno that would allow imports on it. You pulled up to dyno and the damn rednecks would say domestics only.....

Now that we have one and i know the guy im gonna get the dyno for a full day sometime soon and Das is gonna come in and we are gonna test an entire slew of crap and that is one thing i will put on my list to see what all it really does.

To be honest if i could find a 2jz motor for really cheap i would send it out and have it stroked, ported, polished and see if i could get up to a 200 shot on it and see what type of power it could put down. Only problem is i dont wanna spend $2k on something i know im probably gonna blow. The other engine work would be free i just have to buy the parts. Im looking so it may happen one day i just have to get lucky and if you look long enough your bound to find one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts