Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Been hearing about Mazda's and Honda's for a while, but first I heard of a Nissan. I don't think there's room for another compact RWD sports sedan, especially when Honda's comes out, cause you know Honda will make a good one. We'll have the following:
BMW 3 series
Audi A4
Lexus IS300
Jaguar X-Type
Mercedes C class
Honda S2000-based sedan
Mazda ?
Nissan RWD sedan

I see a war coming, and we the consumer will reap the benefits, but at least 3 of those will have to fail, there's just not enough buyers.

Originally posted by jiggafett:
Searching for body kits I ran into this forum in which there is a Nissan IS fighter. Check it out

http://freshalloy.ubbforums.com/forum//Forum1/HTML/000026.html

[This message has been edited by jiggafett (edited November 19, 2000).]

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Just my opinion, but I think the Mazda(aka Ford) will fail. Depending how Nissan presents the car, maybe it will succeed. I also don't think the X-Type will do very well either...Jaguar's appeal seems to be just to old people...

------------------
Silver 2K1 3.2CL-S. NOT JEALOUS OF YOUR IS300 heh heh heh...decent car though!! (the IS)

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Well, Nissan does make some nice cars, but lately their designers have been doing a terrible job. Look at the 2001 Maxima. They market it as being a top notch sports sedan, but I certain don't agree. Sure it has a good engine and a manual tranny, but it's still too big - look at the overhangs. It's definitely one of the ugliest car's on the market (the 2000 Maxiama)...I hope, for Nissan's sake, that the XVL (which wasn't too bad, but nearly as good looking as the IS) is styled a little more aggressively. The other elements, I'm sure, will be there...competition will force them to make it a potent sedan, possibly with a manual tranny.
Competition rules...people shopping for a near luxury sports sedan will have so much to choose from, and the standards and value will definitely reach higher levels. Good for us consumers!!

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
258 Posts
Irid, Afraid you're wrong about Jaguar's appeal. People were afraid of that but the S Type is a huge success with the 35-45 crowd. I personally dont like the car (I'm 58, geezer
) but it is very popular. Jaguar's have a "look at me, I'm better than you" appeal that hooks a lot of insecure young fake affluent buyers.

As you can tell, I don't much care for Jags. I think they're overly feminine and overly flashy and snobbish.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
msfrog: Good pics

ckolsen: I agree, but I'm guessing each car manuf. does not want to be left in the dust, they all want a piece of the pie.

Iridium130: I'm not a Mazda lover but I feel there are enough Mazda drivers that would not mind something sportier than the 626 or the Millenia. As for Jaguar at least here in Miami, I think many who have never considered a Jag will def. take a good look into purchasing it. Just like Lexus was looking for younger buyers with the IS.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Mazda's sedan is supposed to be powered by a rotary engine, which is reason enough for some people to purchase it...

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
you're very opinionated, but that doesnt make it facts. nissan obviously wanted to make roomy sedan, and the only thing that bothers me about the maxima is its rear taillights. i would buy a maxima again, over the accord or the camry. the maximas around here usually go on sale for real cheap (21k) compared to honda accord v6 and toyota camry v6...plus, you're getting a hell of a lot more for your money.

Originally posted by hasanazhar:
Well, Nissan does make some nice cars, but lately their designers have been doing a terrible job. Look at the 2001 Maxima. They market it as being a top notch sports sedan, but I certain don't agree. Sure it has a good engine and a manual tranny, but it's still too big - look at the overhangs. It's definitely one of the ugliest car's on the market (the 2000 Maxiama)...I hope, for Nissan's sake, that the XVL (which wasn't too bad, but nearly as good looking as the IS) is styled a little more aggressively. The other elements, I'm sure, will be there...competition will force them to make it a potent sedan, possibly with a manual tranny.
Competition rules...people shopping for a near luxury sports sedan will have so much to choose from, and the standards and value will definitely reach higher levels. Good for us consumers!!

black/ivory
17"

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
While I would also buy a Maxima SE over a Camry - I wouldn't buy either, the point is that Camry-class buyers don't buy the Maxima, they buy the Camry or Accord. And while the Maxima is a great price for buyers, Nissan doesn't make any money selling Maximas at $21,000, so they're in trouble. I agree that Nissan is gonna go belly up if they keep making horrible designs.

Originally posted by Lexus_IS300:
you're very opinionated, but that doesnt make it facts. nissan obviously wanted to make roomy sedan, and the only thing that bothers me about the maxima is its rear taillights. i would buy a maxima again, over the accord or the camry. the maximas around here usually go on sale for real cheap (21k) compared to honda accord v6 and toyota camry v6...plus, you're getting a hell of a lot more for your money.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Has anybody seen what the estimated price is suppose to be for the jag? I don't like the way it looks either in the pictures. But that was the same thing I said when I first saw the IS in pictures. I'll wait until I see one in person before I make any judgments. Also, when is its release date or is it already out?

------------------

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Stephen, they actually hit? I thought that was a pretty big flop on their part. But I have noticed lots of "geezers" driving them around though...and snotty ladies

I have a mazda 929 at home and *bleh*!! I don't know how Mazda can keep a solid fanbase. A lot of their cars just plain SUCK.

Doesn't the first picture of the new Nissan look suspiciously look like an IS front?

------------------
Silver 2K1 3.2CL-S. NOT JEALOUS OF YOUR IS300 heh heh heh...decent car though!! (the IS)

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
looks more like a damn neon to me.

Originally posted by Iridium130:
Stephen, they actually hit? I thought that was a pretty big flop on their part. But I have noticed lots of "geezers" driving them around though...and snotty ladies

I have a mazda 929 at home and *bleh*!! I don't know how Mazda can keep a solid fanbase. A lot of their cars just plain SUCK.

Doesn't the first picture of the new Nissan look suspiciously look like an IS front?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mazda will hopefully not screw up with another wack-a$$ car, like the 626. I hope they come out with that concept car the RX-EVO. ITs a four door sedan, naturally aspired rotary engine (280hp). It looks really sweet too.

·
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
4yoazz: I have seen it on a program on Speedvision not sure if it was Auto Week or Motor Trend's shows, but from what I recall it is in the IS price range, my guess is maybe a little bit more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The 00/01 Maxima is not ugly. Yeah maybe the rear lights are weird but almost every car has something funny looking about it. For the money the Maxima is almost as hard to beat as an Acura TL.
The Infiniti may be a good competitor if it has great power and isn't to big. But it doesn't look bad maybe just the taillights.

------------------
00 SE ALTIMA W/LTHR, 5SPD
CAI INTAKE and STUFF
18" GIOVANNA BARLETTA W/225/35

·
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well at least they don't have Altezza style taillights for the new Maxima, or am I wrong -- hope not.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts