Nissan's 4.0 V6 (which I believe is a VQ derivative?) makes:
265 hp @ 5600 rpm - horsepower
284 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm - torque
EPA estimated fuel consumption: 17/21 City/Highway

Toyota's 4.0 V6 (which spawned the new 3.5L in the IS) makes:
236 hp @ 5200 rpm - horsepower
266 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm - torque
EPA estimated fuel consumption: 16/20 City/Highway

One would imagine that if it made less power, it would at least get better fuel economy. Especially considering that the Tacoma weighs over 400 lbs less than the Frontier (4307 lbs vs. 3875 lbs) and has slimmer tires (P245/75R16 vs. P265/70R16).

The information is from edmunds.com. I'm not sure if Nissan is also using SAE standards. What's Nissan doing better than Toyota??

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
hasanazhar said:

One would imagine that if it made less power, it would at least get better fuel economy. Especially considering that the Tacoma weighs over 400 lbs less than the Frontier (4307 lbs vs. 3875 lbs) and has slimmer tires (P245/75R16 vs. P265/70R16).

The information is from edmunds.com. I'm not sure if Nissan is also using SAE standards. What's Nissan doing better than Toyota??
Nissan has always been pushing numbers. Toyota only recently been going into the power wars. One thing for sure though, the Tacoma is better built than the Frontier.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
dasgalloway said:
What are they doing wrong?

Making an engine that will last forever instead of just push high numbers when you buy it. ;)
hooray!!

toyota builds truck engines to run for like 5,678,943,561,234.07 miles before needing an oil change... (yes i am exagerating)

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
and yes, this is an apples and oranges comparison. I have not seen Nissan's revised hp/tq numbers for the new SAE standard.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure Toyota's engines last a long time, but I haven't really heard many complaints about the VQ series engines. They're not very fuel efficient, but they're powerful and reliable - which is why Nissan uses them all across their product portfolio.

I do agree that the Tacoma has much better build quality and is more refined than the Frontier. I actually drove my cousin's Pathfinder Armada recently, and though that thing has crazy torque, it's got the worst build quality (1 inch panel gaps every which way) and is extremely ugly.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
hasanazhar said:
Sure Toyota's engines last a long time, but I haven't really heard many complaints about the VQ series engines. They're not very fuel efficient, but they're powerful and reliable - which is why Nissan uses them all across their product portfolio.

I do agree that the Tacoma has much better build quality and is more refined than the Frontier. I actually drove my cousin's Pathfinder Armada recently, and though that thing has crazy torque, it's got the worst build quality (1 inch panel gaps every which way) and is extremely ugly.

How many years has the VQ been in service?

I'm not a nissan freak, but I do know toyota has a long history of engines/cars that run forever.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
somguy2u said:
hooray!!

toyota builds truck engines to run for like 5,678,943,561,234.07 miles before needing an oil change... (yes i am exagerating)

You wouldn't have been exaggerating if you would have put in one VITAL piece of info:

+-2,000 miles

LOL

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
hasanazhar said:
Nissans get TERRIBLE gas mileage. Just wait until the real world numbers come out.

·
27,116 Posts
hasanazhar said:
If you wanna hear complaints... check out people reviews of Nissan Maximas after they had them for a couple years.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Crester said:
If you wanna hear complaints... check out people reviews of Nissan Maximas after they had them for a couple years.
I'm assuming the Nissan Murano has the VQ in it too since its a 3.5. We had one as a rental car for 2 days... S model, fwd, CVT. 1,100 miles the check engine light came on and back to Enterprise it went... I'm guessing that wasn't a fluke.

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
the wrong tone said:
It was my understanding that Toyota and BMW are the only ones currently using the new SAE standards.
You're half right. Right now, it's just GM, Toyota and Honda using the new standards, and Nissan was quite vocal in its opposition to them. Worse, they're not obligated to use the new standard until they come out with new engines.

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
YellowIS300 said:
I'm assuming the Nissan Murano has the VQ in it too since its a 3.5. We had one as a rental car for 2 days... S model, fwd, CVT. 1,100 miles the check engine light came on and back to Enterprise it went... I'm guessing that wasn't a fluke.
Probably not. A client at work had a Murano, and some CVT-related issue led him to break his lease early and get an Acura MDX instead.

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
hasanazhar said:
I actually drove my cousin's Pathfinder Armada recently, and though that thing has crazy torque, it's got the worst build quality (1 inch panel gaps every which way) and is extremely ugly.
It gets worse. According to Consumer Reports the most unreliable new vehicle in the U.S. market is the Armada's gussied-up and further uglified fraternal twin, the Infiniti QX56. And the Armada is the most unreliable Nissan-branded vehicle. Nissan's most reliable? Ironically, the Murano!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
jruhi4 said:
It gets worse. According to Consumer Reports the most unreliable new vehicle in the U.S. market is the Armada's gussied-up and further uglified fraternal twin, the Infiniti QX56. And the Armada is the most unreliable Nissan-branded vehicle. Nissan's most reliable? Ironically, the Murano!
Pay attention to which Nissan vehicles had good reliability ratings and which ones were poor. You'll notice that almost all of the vehicles with poor ratings were built in the US, I think it's no coincidence that the Maxima dropped to average after production was shifted to the US. It also appears that Nissan's truck plant is particularly poor as far as reliability goes. All of the Infinitis (except for the QX56) and the Murano are still Japanese built.

I'm not saying US built vehicles are bad, just that Nissan hasn't perfected their US production lines, since it appears that Toyota and Honda are perfectly capable of designing and building highly reliable vehciles in the US.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
In the world of trucks. Acceleration is very rarely an issue unless your buying a stupidity such as the dodge ram srt-10. These engines are built for low end towing power and longevity. Toyota wears the crown in this category, the category of importance. Nissan can have the 0-60 times.

·
Registered
679 Posts
hasanazhar said:
I think thr VQ has decent fuel economy. My parent's Murano gets a steady 22MPG per a tank. My lower-powered FWD RX 330 gets about 21MPG. Not sure how much that has to do with the CVT tranny on the Murano.

Sam

M

·
0 Posts

Toyota has less power and sightly less fuel mileage because it has a timing chain assembly and valve train that lasts 5 times longer than the Nissan. Nissan is proven garbage. Ever wonder why the Nissan brings nothing when used vs. the Toyota used vehicles?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts