Lexus IS Forum banner

161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Technical Poseur
23,313 Posts
Mines R34, has 620HP and the stock air box, but Mines says the stock airbox in the R34 doesnt become a restriction until 600+ HP. They do have a kevlar OEM style scoop leading in to the stock air box as well.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Mines R34, has 620HP and the stock air box, but Mines says the stock airbox in the R34 doesnt become a restriction until 600+ HP. They do have a kevlar OEM style scoop leading in to the stock air box as well.

Intake performance has to be different between naturally aspirated and forced induction engines. I was really surprised to see how well the Coyote motor responds to breathing mods. The variable Cam timing is the shit. You can really feel it when you hammer down on the throttle.

·
Technical Poseur
23,313 Posts
I would just be curious what the flow rate on the box is. Everyone always has the "Its gotta be open element" mentality...but does it? With modern scoops forcing air into the airbox I could imagine you would actually lose power at higher speeds running open element (think 30mph+)

·
8,107 Posts
I was at a gas station and a guy in a Boss 302 pulled up, my god that thing sounds incredible! It sounds both like an American V8, but also like a high-tech race car, if that makes sense.

I don't know if he'd removed the restrictor plates, I'd guess maybe not, it wasn't race car loud. But I think it's too loud for me, my neighbors would hate me. :(

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I was at a gas station and a guy in a Boss 302 pulled up, my god that thing sounds incredible! It sounds both like an American V8, but also like a high-tech race car, if that makes sense.

I don't know if he'd removed the restrictor plates, I'd guess maybe not, it wasn't race car loud. But I think it's too loud for me, my neighbors would hate me. :(
It's pretty easy to get the Boss 302 level of HP with just a tune. Like I said in my previous post, just a CAI and a tune will get you 400 to the wheels. The Boss comes with 444 I believe at the crank.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Car has been great. If I keep it at 60-65 I can get 28mpg. If I go 50mph I can get 30mpg but I ain't fucking going that slow. Fuck that.

I have noticed the traction control works so well you don't even feel it. It just feels like you accelerate slower. If I turn it off the car is a rocket, and the back end will break loose at half throttle. I haven't even put 91 octane in it yet. Running 87.

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
I'm with -Tom-. I was around when Ford rolled out the sequential turn signals in the mid-to-late 1960s. I'm not sure if the Mustangs got them for the 1967 facelift, but it was definitely a Thunderbird and Mercury Cougar thing. Back then, I, too, thought they were cool, and I thought it was awesome when the Mustang brought them back a couple of years ago.

·
8,107 Posts
I'm with -Tom-. I was around when Ford rolled out the sequential turn signals in the mid-to-late 1960s. I'm not sure if the Mustangs got them for the 1967 facelift, but it was definitely a Thunderbird and Mercury Cougar thing. Back then, I, too, thought they were cool, and I thought it was awesome when the Mustang brought them back a couple of years ago.
I didn't realize it was a historical reference, but I still hate it.

Then again, if you have a 400 hp V8, who needs turn signals?

·
Technical Poseur
23,313 Posts
You know whats funny, there is a red w/gold striping Shelby GT500 convertible here in town. It has the sequential lights. I thought they were aftermarket but they must be original!

Just like this one....

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
You know whats funny, there is a red w/gold striping Shelby GT500 convertible here in town. It has the sequential lights. I thought they were aftermarket but they must be original!

Just like this one....
That's right! I'd forgotten that the '69-'70 Shelby Mustangs like that one had their own larger-than-a-regular-Mustang's sequential taillights.

161 - 177 of 177 Posts