Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
The MB S-class came out as a 2000 model and the current BMW 7-series came out in 1995. You guys praise the S-class Benz but the BMW 7 series beat the Sclass in two different car comparisons. One done by Car & Driver and the other by Edmunds. This means that the all new BMW 7 series (just on the horizon) will destroy the current Sclass Benz. The new LS430 Lexus will be a good contender though because of its price... Look at the two links below.
Eric....
http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/romans/00.super.luxury.sedans.comparo.rt.html

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited August 17, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited August 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Mr. Clam,
The Sclass is BRAND SPANKING NEW and the BMW 7 series is 6+years old (latter part of production cycle). So it's justifiable for the S-class to have a more modern and sophisticated look in comparison to the BMW 7 series. But styling is secondary to the functionality and drivability of a car. That's why the BMW won both comparisons (in the above links I posted). You know when the Mbenz CLK 320 came out (which is a beautiful car) it was compared with all the luxury coupes in Car & Driver. The aged Lexus SC300 won that comparison because of the way it molds to the driver. There's always more than meets the eye Mr. Clam.
Eric....

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i agree. there is more to the car than looks, but honestly, i have never liked how the 7 series looks...i've seen the new concept designs(i knwo they are not final) and i still don't find them attractive. i realize that the bmw design is old and that it still performs well, and although the 7 series might beat the s class in comparos...i would still choose the s-class. call it stupidity, i dunno, i just love the styling of the car....it looks way more sophisticated. and mercedes is no slump in technology, and while neither is bmw, i still like mercedes for their upper end vehicles =)

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
also, just wnated to point out, with a car like the s-class/7series, performance and stuff like that aren't AS important as they would be, although i know bmw is more performance oriented. and honestly, if this sounds shallow, it probably is but with a car like the s500...i'm more or less saying, "hey everyone i've made it to the top look at me"....just like people do with sl500's and sl600's...i honestly dont' see a whole lot special about those cars but they sell for TONS of money.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
and honestly, if this sounds shallow, it probably is but with a car like the s500...i'm more or less saying, "hey everyone i've made it to the top look at me"....just like people do with sl500's and sl600's...i honestly dont' see a whole lot special about those cars but they sell for TONS of money.
Clamster,
You probably don't see anything special about the SL500 and SL600 because their design is over a decade old (came out in 1989 as a 1990 model). Second, you say that an Sclass and others in its class yells out that you've made it to the top. Well yeah, it does in a way but that's probably not the reason why people go for them. People that like more performance oriented cars would go for a Lexus GS400, Mercedes E-class (like 430 sport), or BMW 5 series (like the 540i sport). My parents have a 2000 740iL and didn't buy it because it says "hey everyone I've made it to the top look at me" (as You say). They bought it because the 540i was much too small, and they were more interested in a Luxury Cruiser than a Luxury Racer.
Eric....

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
well yeah, not only that you've made it to the top, but its the pinnacle of luxury. choosing between bmw and mercedes would be personal preference i guess

·
Registered
129 Posts
My personal feelings for board regulars are known on the Mercedes issue. BMW is still a BMW. Mercedes S-Class is all prestige, luxury, and comfort with a little bit of performance. Remember, the S-Class can beat the pants off an IS300 off the line and still do it without alerting the passengers to the qucik acceleration. Mercedes is the leader of the pack... BMW could only hope to catch up.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would have to agree with MrClam on this one.

The s-class is the pinnacle of luxury and does scream "I'm rich". BMW may or may not have a better sedan with the 740 and definetely has a faster one with the m5, but a majority of the people I know buy a mercedes because of its prestige and image. My 55-year old aunt does not even know what engine is her in S-class, all she knows is that MB is top of the class in name and luxury...performance means jack to her.

Not to put down technology of MBs or anything, I love the new AMG c-class and ofcourse their v12 sedans and coupes, but I guess it does come down to personal preferences, and usually, the older non-performance oriented rich crowd prefers MBs.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
and you know, if you want a performance sedan, get an m5 =) but i know theres'a point in your life where you will want just a cruising car or a family car instead of a performance car =)

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by hrana:
Mercedes is the leader of the pack... BMW could only hope to catch up.
Hrana,
Did you even read the two links I posted above??? It seems that Mercedes is the one who's playing catch up (and MBenz is the one with the Brand New Model).
Eric...
http://www.caranddriver.com/FrameSet/0,1350,sl_NewArticle_sl_0_cm_1633_cm_2597 _1_17_cm00,00.html
http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/romans/00.super.luxury.sedans.comparo.rt.html
SORRY, I TYPED THEM IN WRONG SO GO TO MY LINKS FURTHER UP THE POST HRANA

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited August 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eric,

Speaking of the life span, the last gen S-Class was out since 1991, and was in production 'til 1999, that's 8 years. Sure BMW has performance edge over Mercedes, but nothing comes close when cruising. Besides, the comprison you see in C&D, the 740 has sport package while S430 is all stock, with no sport package(16").....

A true enthusiast always compare 2 cars with caparable equipments....

Besides, how many cars you know that will pull their doors/trunk shut for you??

Andy Kuo

------------------
http://akry.homestead.com

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I went to the local Mercedes dealership to look at the 2001 S-class. The particular model I saw was an S430 with the sports package. It was $77,000 and it didn't have a CD player or changer, Xenon Headlamps or any of the other available options. It seems like everything is optional for that car... The BMW 740iL for $70K comes with Xenon headlamps, CD changer, sports package etc. Oh yeah by the way, the IS300 comes with Xenon and cd changer too at less than half the cost of the Mercedes.
Eric....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eric,

All I can say is, the MB Dealer you went is a BIG Rip Off...PERIOD. For the amount you described, I will have no problem get a S430 Fully loaded, minus Sport Package and 1K....

As for 740iL offered at $70K, make sure it's a 2001 model, NOT 2000 model....

Shop around, and you can always get a better deal.....
Andy Kuo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts