Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the moment i have the Joe Z intake with a TRD drop-in filter and a Tanabe Hyper Medalion cat back exhaust as my performance mods..im thinkin of selling my joe z intake for a K&N FIPK intake to get a more agressive look and sound plus a couple more horses..do you its worth getting the this intake or should i just stick to the Joe Z??

also, im trying to figure out what performance mod i should do next..either getting headers or just a downpipe...since the headers will eliminate the 2 cats will it fail me if i go for a smog check?? i also wanna know if replacing the ypipe will also cause me to fail a smog check...
-chris

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
pinoyballah said:
At the moment i have the Joe Z intake with a TRD drop-in filter and a Tanabe Hyper Medalion cat back exhaust as my performance mods..im thinkin of selling my joe z intake for a K&N FIPK intake to get a more agressive look and sound plus a couple more horses..do you its worth getting the this intake or should i just stick to the Joe Z??

also, im trying to figure out what performance mod i should do next..either getting headers or just a downpipe...since the headers will eliminate the 2 cats will it fail me if i go for a smog check?? i also wanna know if replacing the ypipe will also cause me to fail a smog check...
-chris
yah, i've heard A LOT of great things about the K&N FIPK...it will be abit louder, but since you want the more aggresive sound, i think it would be really nice.
as for the headers, it will also make the car louder...but i'm not too sure about the smog check. i would presume that it would fail a smog check.

BUT if you really are thinking about the K&N...i would gladly take the JoeZ from yah. what color is the it btw?

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
hmm keep in mind, that if u fit on a FIPK, u wont be able to add a strut bar over it.
might not be ur plan, but just reminding ya =D
-Aaron

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
onyxaltezza said:
hmm keep in mind, that if u fit on a FIPK, u wont be able to add a strut bar over it.
might not be ur plan, but just reminding ya =D
-Aaron
damn..i was hoping to get the plp strut for the car but...oh well...i had this guy that was holding the strut bar for me..that sux!! is there any intakes that can fit a strut bar??

B_is300 said:
BUT if you really are thinking about the K&N...i would gladly take the JoeZ from yah. what color is the it btw?
i have the black anodize one with black coupler and reducer...i will also sell my trd filter and cleaning solution..i've only had it for probably 5000 miles...cleaned it 1 month ago..

i wanted to keep the stock look...but now i starting to get the power/agressive look craving..i was worried about losing low end torque and what not, but i was told that its a lot less noticeable with a 5 speed..

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
pinoyballah said:
i have the black anodize one with black coupler and reducer...i will also sell my trd filter and cleaning solution..i've only had it for probably 5000 miles...cleaned it 1 month ago..

i wanted to keep the stock look...but now i starting to get the power/agressive look craving..i was worried about losing low end torque and what not, but i was told that its a lot less noticeable with a 5 speed..
well if you're thinking about selling it, how much would you go for?
i just need the pipe..i got a AFE filter. but i wouldn't mind the cleaning solution as well.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
lol i shud get rep for saving u $200 when u buy the strut bar that wont fit lol jk

but umm..im pretty sure injen fits.
here is a bit of research i did...

blklexIs said:
...I thik the injen looks better and a strut bar can fit over. The K&N is awesome as well but it looks alittle big and a sturt bar will not fit on top. Either ones are good.
thomasjyang said:
i have injen gen3 w/ plp strutbar. engine cover is still on as well.
markIS300 said:
Here are my latest mods on my car:
RMM sides skirts painted by MOBworks
Injen Gen 3 intake
JIC strut bar.
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=230590&highlight=injen+strut+bar

this should be good enough for ya man. now how bout that blue box =D jk jk

anyways ive heard the gen3 intakes, and they are MEAN, thats why i just got one, but too lazy to install. well, best of luck.

-Aaron

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
onyxaltezza said:
lol i shud get rep for saving u $200 when u buy the strut bar that wont fit lol jk

anyways ive heard the gen3 intakes, and they are MEAN, thats why i just got one, but too lazy to install. well, best of luck.

-Aaron
hahah wow..nice work...rep++ sorry it wont be enough to give you that blue box...

B_is300 said:
well if you're thinking about selling it, how much would you go for?
i just need the pipe..i got a AFE filter. but i wouldn't mind the cleaning solution as well.
i thinkin of selling the pipe and sleeves for $95 + shipping...the intake cost me $116 shipped and the sleves were another 25....
the solution ill let go for $15 shipped, only used once still very full....
hopefully i dont get in trouble this..but im not selling yet!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Alright...well if you are thinking about selling it. PM me cause i'm interested :)

·
Hello World
3,733 Posts
Here is the setup which I am currently working on. I do not know about emission/smog test, but it will mostly be fine - come on das, I need a header, lol -
dasgalloway said:
goals:

1) Additional power (enough to feel)
2) No rice sound
3) No FI/etc
4) No headaches (error codes, no black soot spewing from tailpipe, etc)
5) Works with other mods (Strut bar, etc)

Here's a plan that I think meets all your goals:
1) PLP Silent Flow or JoeZ Intake
2) TRD/K&N etc drop-in filter
3) Toyomoto Gen1 Header + o2 sim
4) Sell the YPIPE!
5) L-tuned exhaust
6a) Adjustable Exhaust Cam Gear Professional Installation ONLY
7) Apexxi SAFC II of dyno tuning
8) Tune the AFC and cam gear at the same time!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was thinking about getting the plp strut..but i keep hearing about the placebo effect...so i was thinking of saving a couple hundred bucks from something that has no effect..i guess the majority of handling comes from sways and suspension, so ima stick to that...

·
Registered
341 Posts
keep ur joe z intake man. "maganda ang hatak" plus quiet air flow intake" i just got mine few days ago and i really like it. car feels like has new pulley on the engine. u can really feel the added hp when u step on that pedal. my 05 is300 is way more responsive than that stock intake tube with resonator before. anyway, if ur getting that plp strut bar. i got em too, again it's worth it. it stabilize ur car steering response a bit and its give ur engine bay a nice look. those pics in plp site with engine cover on, it's totally BS on my 05 is300. the bars rubbin and touches when the engine runnin. causes vibration and annoying ratling sound under the hood. in fact, the reason i bought the joe z, was to avoid that rubbing on my stock intake resonator cap with my plp strut bar. it's slicing the shit of it everytime i drove the car, and might ending up having a hole to the intake cup.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does anybody know if a k&n fipk gen 3 is coming out anytime soon??

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
onyxaltezza said:

-Aaron
Aaron, that's good advice for other .netter to avoid going down the same path and save some bucks. +rep for ya...

How about some courtesy rep in return? :bigSmile:

Edit: Sorry I didn't get you your blue box....but it's getting closer. :blush:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
having had both of those intakes, i would say that you are better off keeping the JOE Z and TRD drop in only because of the stock look and stock sound factor.. power will be roughly the same, with a little more umph possibly coming from the FIPK as it dynos in most of its HP in the lower RPM ranges.

personally, either intake is nice, but i would keep it more lexus style.. and stray from the excess sound.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dpatterson069 said:
having had both of those intakes, i would say that you are better off keeping the JOE Z and TRD drop in only because of the stock look and stock sound factor.. power will be roughly the same, with a little more umph possibly coming from the FIPK as it dynos in most of its HP in the lower RPM ranges.

personally, either intake is nice, but i would keep it more lexus style.. and stray from the excess sound.
thanks for the response dpatterson069...honestly the only thing that is keeping me from buying the k&n fipk is the way it looks...im not really feeling the orange and i wished the pipe looked more like the black injen one...i guess what you can say was i'm kinda getting tired of the "stock" look in the engine...everytime someone lifts my hood all they see is the cf engine pieces and thats it...they don't really notice anything else...hopefully after getting the k&n intake peoples eyes would be more interested whats under the hood...

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh yea..i dont mind keeping the strut bar off...but do you guys feel that strut bars have no effect, kinda like the placebo effect or do you guys feel the difference?

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
pinoyballah said:
thanks for the response dpatterson069...honestly the only thing that is keeping me from buying the k&n fipk is the way it looks...im not really feeling the orange and i wished the pipe looked more like the black injen one...i guess what you can say was i'm kinda getting tired of the "stock" look in the engine...everytime someone lifts my hood all they see is the cf engine pieces and thats it...they don't really notice anything else...hopefully after getting the k&n intake peoples eyes would be more interested whats under the hood...

the FIPK that i had had was actually a nice black plastic pipe and it had a "cf" style K&N cone.

the orange is just the logo and connector to the throttle body.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The FIPK I just got is the same way. I think it looks pretty nice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts