Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the new BusybeeToys Scoop page where they mention the next Altezza having a higher quality interior and only inline 6s, with the 2.5L i6 having 220hp (no hp rating for 3.0L). Anyone heard anything about this?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
It's old "news." Busy Bee Toys is definitely not the least bit reliable as far as scoops are concerned.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What are the chances of Toyota increasing horsepower for the 2003 IS300?

Now that Nissan has started the horsepower war with the 2002 Altima and now Honda is picking up the challange with the new Accord (with at least 240 hp).

Nissan will be launching the XVL in Japan this summer and it will also come to North America in 2002 as a 2003 model (G35?) to challange the IS300. According to a newspaper article, a Nissan source told the newspaper that the XVL will be the best handling sedan Nissan ever built.

XVL

Honda is also suppose to have a IS300 size rear driver coming up too. Not to mention Mazda as well.

I really would like to see Toyota pick up the challange with a more powerful engine.

By the way, when is the next generation IS coming out? Since the Altezza was selling in other countries 2 years prior coming to N.A. So that makes this car 3-4 years old now.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Originally posted by SteveB:
By the way, when is the next generation IS coming out? Since the Altezza was selling in other countries 2 years prior coming to N.A. So that makes this car 3-4 years old now.

I don't think Lexus would alienate their customers by introducing a new model IS300 anytime soon. Even if the Altezza is redesigned in the next year, we won't get a completely new IS300 for at least 3-4 years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Altezza was launched as a 98' model. Toyota is pretty consistent with their 5 year model plan, so I would anticipate a makeover for 2003.

The GS came out as a 98' and will be redesigned for 2003.

I find it hard to believe that Toyota would build two different Altezza/IS models just because they were launched at different times in different countries.

Not that this matters, but in 1978, Toyota launched the Tercel in other countries. It then came to the states in 1980 and was redesigned for 1983. That's the way they work.

·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lexus is being very aggressive with the IS300, making such great improvements between the 1st two model years (armrest, suspension, transmission), so I'd guess they're going to do an aggressive model change as well, maybe 2003 - at least engine and interior changes, if not a body change.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
Lexus is being very aggressive with the IS300, making such great improvements between the 1st two model years (armrest, suspension, transmission), so I'd guess they're going to do an aggressive model change as well, maybe 2003 - at least engine and interior changes, if not a body change.
I sure hope Toyota will do something about meeting the competition. If the first gen IS300 is this impressive, imagine what the next one will be like.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:

whoa. 2003!! That's just next year. looks like I might have to reconsider buying the 2002 Manual.

even a 2004 model change would be kinda yucky. Not very assuring buying a 2002 model knowing that a couple of years later, it will be redesigned and have more HP.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I'd agree that the 2003 model change does seem pretty early, but I think its necessary to keep up with all of the new cars coming out. Especially with the new honda/nissan horsepower wars.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I doubt that a complete redesign would be done untill this one's been run for a good 4 to 5 years, but they may upgrade the engine, interior, etc. Toyota has the $$ to buy back all the current model ISs and introduce a completely redesigned version, although that would never happen!
Despite my appreciation of the current model IS300, I think they should revamp it to match the competition or else face the consequences: being sold out by cheaper but more powerful Nissans and Hondas.
Hurry up Toyota!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
it may get more power for 02, the gs3 is getting 245, so the IS might end up with that or with 235 or so for the stick. remember, they emphasized the stick being offered as a different model, and not an option, which could mean all kinds of suprises, they had to have done it that way for some reason.

·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, the 2002 comes out in August, which means production has probably started or is about to - we'd have heard long ago if there was a power change, they can't do it at the last minute. 2003 is about 4-5 years since the platform came out, so you should see significant changes then, though not a redesign, probably just a power increase and upgraded interior, maybe even a price drop, but probably not.

Originally posted by IS300GTE:
it may get more power for 02, the gs3 is getting 245, so the IS might end up with that or with 235 or so for the stick. remember, they emphasized the stick being offered as a different model, and not an option, which could mean all kinds of suprises, they had to have done it that way for some reason.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Originally posted by IS300GTE:
How do you know that the GS300 is getting more power??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
hasanazhar
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing