Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Brits and other Europeans...

The new Lexus IS will be the first model to receive the next generation Lexus Navigation System.

Featuring new guidance functions with improved graphics and speed, the new navigation system employs a DVD disc to store detailed map information of Western Europe. Lexus claims that its speed of calculation has increased 65 per cent, whilst the graphic draw performance is also three times faster.

A lane guidance feature is now available for the major cities of the UK (London, Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow), Germany (Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt and Cologne) and Belgium (Brussels), forewarning the driver of an impending lane change before issuing further instructions. Furthermore, the new system also offers a route tracing function, which can record the route taken by the vehicle and display it on the navigation screen.

On sale from 19 November, the new Lexus IS range will also offer the Lexus Parking Assist Monitor, which the company claims is a unique feature in the segment.
Source: www.newcarnet.co.uk

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
i love navigation. Until mine told me to turn off a bloody bridge. The Bridge to Hong Kong int'l airport.

Im amazed why the western world still hasn't got the Japanese Navigation yet. They have 3D renderings of the street etc, showing the shops. dayam

HKIS: we dont get the is350 in HK?! on the 250?

·
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TRD328 said:
i love navigation. Until mine told me to turn off a bloody bridge. The Bridge to Hong Kong int'l airport.

Im amazed why the western world still hasn't got the Japanese Navigation yet. They have 3D renderings of the street etc, showing the shops. dayam

HKIS: we dont get the is350 in HK?! on the 250?
Navigation has never worked in Hong Kong. The emergency services tested GPS navigation back in the late nineties and it was a disaster. As the vehicle was travelling along the Eastern Corridor, the navigation showed that it was travelling over Victoria Harbour.

I believe it's to do with the number of tightly packed skyscrapers, intricate network of flyovers and underpasses, tunnels, hills and valleys, constant roadworks and diversions, as well as the close proximity of little roads and alleys in urban areas. There just aren't many places in Hong Kong where a vehicle can be constantly in line with 3 GPS satellites. All we have therefore are aftermarket pseudo-navigation systems made by obscure companies, which are a waste of time and money. Decent companies have never saw fit to invest in developing a GPS system for Hong Kong.

As regards the availability of the new IS in Hong Kong, there's still no official word. But rumour is that initially, they will only officially export the IS250 (in line with what they intend to do for the UK and Australia and other RHD markets other than Japan itself). Nothing is certain though. Of course, since the IS350 will be available in Japan to start with, there's always the possibility of getting a parallel import through Richburg or Promax etc. If you hear otherwise, please let me know!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Lexus Navi worked well in AUS.
not sure whether the latest version u mentioned above will be here when the new IS gets here.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
yeah i remember test driving the RX330 with the touch screen navigation. I took the car for a 2hour test drive when it should've been 30mins. hahahha

The navigation im currently using in the Cayenne is the first "official" car manufacturer optioned navigation for HK. The current problem is that it tells me to turn in to streets that are no entry and the maps are not as updated. Sai Kung is basically on the ocean. I'll be waiting for the next updated software, which should come in next year.

I haven't been following the new IS, so I'm assuming Japan is going to release it under the Lexus name? or are they going to keep it as the Altezza?

·
Registered
54 Posts
so its a dvd based navigation system, BUT, can you watch dvd movies on that nice screen in the dash? it's so wasted

·
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
HarryB said:
so its a dvd based navigation system, BUT, can you watch dvd movies on that nice screen in the dash? it's so wasted
If it's not a Jap-spec (i.e. with Japanese buttons and G-Book software), then not without modification.

Edit: And as you can see from the pic below, the Jap-spec gets TV too. :pissed:

·
Registered
54 Posts
so i don't get it? why give us the screen when they can give us movie playing and tv watching functionality?
i just sold my old car dvd system because i was thinking the new IS will prob have dvd anyway :(

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
hkis said:
If it's not a Jap-spec (i.e. with Japanese buttons and G-Book software), then not without modification.

Edit: And as you can see from the pic below, the Jap-spec gets TV too. :pissed:

us gets the nav with tv capability as well ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts