Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished painting my engine cover. What a PITA! Should have been just spray a couple coats in the color I want - cake right?

Well...not so fast. Here's a teaser of the finished product.

This caps off the final touch (for the time being) to my motor swap here:
http://my.is/forums/f114/aristo-swap-work-progress-329091/

This took me almost a week of on and off work to get right. It started like how all covers start...several coats of the primary color - gloss black for mine. But the thing was, I wanted the raised letters to be silver like it was stock. So I devised a way where after letting the primary coat dry, I masked off the raised letter area and sprayed a masking layer with one of those temp paint products. Then I took a flat sanding block and sanded the mask and paint off the top of the raised letters.

So after letting that dry for a day...I'd take off the taping mask, and just wash off the temp paint mask with a brush and I should be done with perfect letters right? Nope. Darn temp paint mask was a b*tch to wash off. Had to take a tooth brush and go over each area like 50 times before the mask came off. After all that...the stuff stained the original primary black coat! ARGH Battle plan two...last resort.

Tape off the nicely painted silver letters and respray based coat. This was another PITA. Ever test your patience with an xacto knife cutting a tape mask? I sure did. Friggen too many w's in "two way twin turbo." My wife was happy as I had to dig into her scrap booking tools for the right xacto and tweezers. :p Fruits of my labor. You can see the slight white staining around the letters

Okay...couple more coats of primary and hope the tape mask worked. Another day left to dry and - score...edges are still nice and clean. edgy would be proud.

Final product. :)

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
talk about attention to detail!!!

super sexy!!!

Reactions: Mikecolorama

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
nice....
maybe get a lexus emblem to replace the toyota emblem??
cops might think is OEM LOL
haha

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
must spread more before i can give more. UGH .

Ill catch u on the flip side paul.

D

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
nice job!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Wow! came out very nice. I dont know this is true but i heard that if you apply vaseline to the letter the paint will not stick so its easier to use than tape. I dont know if its true tho

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
Looks good bro! You have waaaaay more patience than I. I will just be painting my whole TT SP cover MSM, along with the SC lower timing cover.

+rep!

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Wow! came out very nice. I dont know this is true but i heard that if you apply vaseline to the letter the paint will not stick so its easier to use than tape. I dont know if its true tho
That's a trick from the Corvette guys who wanted to paint their calipers without painting the raised corvette part.

For others thinking of doing this, spray the whole thing the color that yo uwant the letters to be. Then spray the entire piece with the color you want the rest of the piece to be. When you're done, lightly wetsand the raised letters until the silver is revealed.

Throw a polish or compound on a dremel buffing wheel on low speed if you want more shine.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I hate detail work like this but it came out nice enough to make it worthwhile.

^^^About the two color technique...That would be doable but would take very careful sanding as you can burn through a layer really easily unless you built it up enough and did a pre-sand on the letters to make sure it's absolutely flat.

Look at my second pic...I did basically exactly that and sanded with 800grit. You can see that the final "flat" surface is not all one color. It's the substrate green and primary black with a little left of the mask. Pretty easy to burn through with even 800 grit. It's doable with patience though. Just presand to be absolutely flat and build up enough of the silver layer to not burn through easily.

Reactions: ISZach

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
My wife was happy as I had to dig into her scrap booking tools for the right xacto and tweezers.
Damn! Who's wife is NOT into scrap booking?! These scrap booking companies are making a killing off of us husbands!

Final product. :)
Nice job, Paul! But like they say "this thread is meaningless without pix of the final product in the engine bay". :p

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's finally in the car and mounted. Happy?! :) Hahah...I had to notch the rear to allow for the heater hose to come through.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts