Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see, I already have the Xpel kit on my car...had it on for 2 years now. Although it has protected my paint from rock chips and what not, it had no chance against a 1" metal washer that was kicked up on the fwy :pissed:. Stupid thing left a nice gash about 1/2" long and about 1/4" deep.

My question is, once I get the bumper repaired and repainted, when will it be safe to get Xpel reapplied to the surface? Will I have to let the paint cure? If so, how long?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tha Reaper said:
you're suppsed to wait 30 days before you do ANYTHING on a fresh paint job, thats because you have to let the paint bond and cure to the surface
Damn, that sucks! 30 days is a long time to go unprotected. Does anyone know where I can get that white plastic sheeting?...the stuff that dealers put on their cars when transporting them? Maybe I can roll around with that stuff on the front bumper in the meantime...I don't care if it looks funny...better than having rock chips all over the bumper. :-?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sounds like the Xpel didn't do that great of a job protecting your car if a 1" washer damaged your front bumper cover. When I had the front bumper cover of my IS replaced, the body shop told me to wait at least 30 days before waxing it or putting Xpel on it. Fortunately, since the paint that my body shop used is more durable than the factory paint, I found that it doesn't really need Xpel anymore. 8)

However, for those times when I have to travel on unfamilar freeways or through a possible construction zone, I have one of those "ugly" Colgan bras, which is more effective at protecting the front end from road debris than Xpel. While more attractive, a urethane sheet that's 0.008 inch thick just isn't as durable as a 0.125 inch thick piece of flannel-backed vinyl. :-?

As for the "plastic sheeting" idea, it might be better to go with nothing at all instead because you really don't want to have anything flapping around on a freshly-painted uncured surface....

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Chief said:
Sounds like the Xpel didn't do that great of a job protecting your car if a 1" washer damaged your front bumper cover. When I had the front bumper cover of my IS replaced, the body shop told me to wait at least 30 days before waxing it or putting Xpel on it. Fortunately, since the paint that my body shop used is more durable than the factory paint, I found that it doesn't really need Xpel anymore. 8)

However, for those times when I have to travel on unfamilar freeways or through a possible construction zone, I have one of those "ugly" Colgan bras, which is more effective at protecting the front end from road debris than Xpel. While more attractive, a urethane sheet that's 0.008 inch thick just isn't as durable as a 0.125 inch thick piece of flannel-backed vinyl. :-?

As for the "plastic sheeting" idea, it might be better to go with nothing at all instead because you really don't want to have anything flapping around on a freshly-painted uncured surface....
Thanks for the advice. Actually, Xpel did what it claims in that the paint did not get damaged at all as you can see from the pic below:

I believe if I didn't have any Xpel on the bumper, the damage would have been much worse. I don't think you can do much to protect against a 1" metal washer while driving 75mph. Who knows how much force that little thing was packing when it was kicked up towards me.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just got a CWest bumper that was painted almost 2 weeks ago. Its raining outside. Is it okay for me to drive it out and get it wet? My friend said that I can't get it wet for the first month. I thought that was okay, as long as I don't wash or wax it. Any input appreciated ;) My friend got me worried.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
chrisCARL0S said:
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just got a CWest bumper that was painted almost 2 weeks ago. Its raining outside. Is it okay for me to drive it out and get it wet? My friend said that I can't get it wet for the first month. I thought that was okay, as long as I don't wash or wax it. Any input appreciated ;) My friend got me worried.
I wouldn't if it was me. I'd be concerned about contaminants in the rainwater or other stuff in the air that can fuse to the paint if it's not properly protected.

And just to clarify the "how long to wait after painting" question above, for most paint protection films (ppf's) it's best to wait 60 days. Even at 30, there is still a chance of the film adhesive fusing with the paint...I know, it happened to me with the ClearShield product (heck, the ClearShield product does that even after waiting 90 days). I now use the Venture Shield film which doesn't do this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.