Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am debating whether to getting my brother-in-law's all stock 2001 IS300 (black, no navi). It's got a lot (I mean A LOT) of freeway miles, 135K mi. I know timing belt & water pump, spark plugs, & fluids were all done at the dealer at 97K.

First thing I do if I get it is, K&N drop-in filter. Any problems w/ Check Engine Light going on because of MAF problems w/ K&N? This occured w/ my Benz (Benz & BMW sucks w/ CEL stuff BTW)

I notice his tires wears out pretty fast. Gets them replaced every year. Maybe alignment off?

Anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks!

Timecop369

·
Banned
468 Posts
freeways miles arent bad i suppose. the car is built by toyota and from what ihear is a very reliable car. Get the things you listed squared away tho. Is the car lowered? if so it could be a contributing factor on why the tires wear out fast. unless he is running very soft tires to begin with.
I'm not familiar at all with the IS300's engine has my car has a completly different engine, so i cant really help you with the CEL going on as a result of the K7N filter, but since it is just a drop in filter and not a complete CAI, i dont foresee that problem showing its face. good luck with the car and post pics!!!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
timecop369 said:
Hi Guys,

I am debating whether to getting my brother-in-law's all stock 2001 IS300 (black, no navi). It's got a lot (I mean A LOT) of freeway miles, 135K mi. I know timing belt & water pump, spark plugs, & fluids were all done at the dealer at 97K.

First thing I do if I get it is, K&N drop-in filter. Any problems w/ Check Engine Light going on because of MAF problems w/ K&N? This occured w/ my Benz (Benz & BMW sucks w/ CEL stuff BTW)

I notice his tires wears out pretty fast. Gets them replaced every year. Maybe alignment off?

Anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks!

Timecop369
your car should not throw any CEL's with the K&n drop in...the only way it would is if the MAF has build up from the oil that's on the filter, but thats easy to to clean with electronic cleaner..
heres the thread..
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=243806&highlight=cleaning+maf

also you should get an alignment...when was the last time your brother in law got one??

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
You'll be ok with that IS even with that kind of mileage, as long as the maintenance is up to par. You can also get a lot more miles out of it...if you keep up with the services.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
135K is nothing for that motor or car in general My IS300 is 5yrs old and it still looks/feels like it rolled off the showroom floor!

·
Registered
69 Posts
IS300s need alignments more often that any other lexus ive seen in our shop (besides the SC430s). Inner tire wear is a huge sign an alignment is needed

·
Registered
39 Posts
yeah my is 2001 has 68k and it feels like it did the first day i bought it, granted i still need to clean my MAF sensor and reset my ECU due to it stalling a bit

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
There was no Navi option in 2001, the only options to look for are the power/heated seats, LSD (and spoiler???). As long as the services have been done you should be ok. Alignment sounds like a good idea b/c tires should last longer than that. What's the asking price if you don't mind?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts