Lexus IS Forum banner

newbie... a few questions about IS

529 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  saltedeggman 
#1 ·
Hi,

I don't shop for cars often; so, consider me a newbie.

I've always been a sports car enthusiast. My first car was a Mustang and I've been driving my '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse AWD Turbo for the past few years.

As the cost of repairing my almost dead turbo is becomming a waste, I'm on the look for a new car. I was quick to buy the new '01 Mitsu Eclipse after a relatively short test-drive and a pushy sales-person. But, I am very disappointed to say the least. It has all of the characteristics of a sports-car (i.e. tight room, excessive noise) without actually being one (vague steering, too big, 40ft. turning radius, slow).

Fortunately, I realized that this was not the car for me and managed to get the dealer to take it back with only a trivial loss of money on my part. So, I'm on the look again. I've refined my search some and I'm looking for a comfortable and practical car with a sporty feeling.

I had the priviledge of test-driving an IS300 the other day. Purely out of chance though (dealer said that it matches my description perfectly). I was very impressed; it was like I'd found what I've been looking for, exactly. But, this is an expensive car. I can afford it with room to spare; but, I'm really not the kind of person who would pop 30k on a car unless it was really worth it.

My main question is: is it worth it?

When I asked the dealer "is there anything wrong with this car?" His response was a quick no. Can anyone honestly agree with that?

Is this an expensive car to maintain? I'm guessing insurance costs are relatively high (anyone have numbers?). I've also noticed that premium fuel is recommended; considering the low gas-mileage, it seems like gas alone would cost a small fortune. Any comments?

Also, I've read a lot on this forum about the new 2002 Manual that is worth the wait. Unfortunately, my lady is asking I buy an auto; so, that isn't an option for me really. Are there any planned improvements for the 2002 IS300 Auto? Would it be worth the wait, or the price? I haven't heard any info at all on the 2002 automatic (the attention seems to be focused on the manual). Interesting facts would be helpful.

Any constructive opinions on why this car is "worth it" would be appreciated. Additionally, anyone who has positive or negative experiences with the IS, please share.

Lastly, what kind of cars (models & makes) does the IS compete with (excluding the BMW)? Any comments on any of the IS's competitors? No BMW stories plz.

Thanks,
-z

See less See more
#2 ·
Members have been getting damn great prices for for 2001. Do a search around, and you will see people paying not much over invoice.

Well, its not my place to evaluate whether the car is worth it or not since, i didn't pay for it. (i know i know, i am lucky)

Nothing big had been reported wrong with the IS, the few minor issues are CD's getting stuck (since its a 6 CDs in-dash changer, and dealer will replace it without cost). Again, these are minor issues.

I don't know if this car is expensive to main, since I have been only to one service. Depend on your age, records, married or not, your premium could be very low. Well, the IS does have a low MPH. If you driver conservatively, you will probably get around 20 to 22MPH.

If auto is your only option, manual would be a blast to drive. The 2002 will offer armrest, NAV, auto-dimming mirrors, and VSC (n/a on 2001). 2002 Manual will come with optional 18" wheels, stiffer suspension... We haven't have any constructive info on the price yet.

I just love this car, for a million reasons!!

The IS is targeted for 3 series and Audi A4, etc

hope this help

#3 ·
If your not looking for a stick, then there may be good closeout prices for the 2001 models. For a first year car, Lexus pretty much nailed it the first time around. There have been a few problems, not on my particular car (knock on wood), but they appeard to be corrected under warranty by the dealer.

The gas mileage is dependent on the driving style of the operator. When my wife drives the car, it is her daily commuter, she gets 22.3 mpg. When I get my hands on it, I treat it like the sport sedan it is, I get a little more than 19 mpg.

Lexus cars are known for reliability and the IS is no exception. It's just a solid, well built car. Lexus is also known for their customer service. The service was a selling point for me.

Lastly, the after-market tuners are starting to come out with a lot of different mods for the IS. The next 12-18 months will be an exciting time if you plan on modifying an IS.

P.S. I considered all the cars in its class; Audi A4 2.8 V6, VW Passat, BMW 330, 328, Volvo S40...but bought the IS.

01 IJM w/LSD & 5Zigen exhaust (soon to have springs/shocks & 5Zigen wheels).

#4 ·
IS300=sportiness+a little taste of luxury. Oh, and great reliability. Also bad-ass styling.
BMW=refinement, balanced, ok reliability, good styling.
Acura TL=What? FWD?? Style? Wazz dat?
good value, but no style and handling.
Audi A4=don't get it unless you need 4 wheel drive. Good car, but dated, and new styling coming out soon.

Hmm... That's about all I can say about those cars. I don't know anything about volvo except their boxy and safe.

------------------
K.P.

#5 ·
apparently the tranny has some weird issues...maybe if enough ppl bitch to lexus about it something will get done...swift racing tech says that the gs owners had the same problem and got it fixed by letting lexus know about it...but i don't know anything really...but realize that you are coming into a forum for is300 owners in general and you won't find a lot of bad things said about their own car by them...my 2 cents

------------------
IS300 Tech Articles

#6 ·
Originally posted by HIBBoyScott:
apparently the tranny has some weird issues...maybe if enough ppl bitch to lexus about it something will get done...swift racing tech says that the gs owners had the same problem and got it fixed by letting lexus know about it...but i don't know anything really...but realize that you are coming into a forum for is300 owners in general and you won't find a lot of bad things said about their own car by them...my 2 cents

Hmm... I didn't know IS had tranny probs... What kinda probs are you having w/ your tranny?

------------------
K.P.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.